2012 November Nimbles - Are you having hip surgery in November?

Status
Not open for further replies.
November 14th R/THR due to AVN looking forward to be able to walk somewhat normal.
 
Nov. 6th for RTHR and on Nov. 7th I turn 60...anxious but very ready!
 
I was told at age 20 I would need a new hip by 30. I'm not 36 and finally scheduled for THR surgery on Nov. 5th. I'm nervous, but hopeful about living pain free! My hubby and I want kids and the thought of caring a child now is unbearable. The surgeon will use a Zimmer Kinectiv. Does anyone have any knowledge of this type of hardware, good/bad, ect?
 
This is a very rare occasion when I am going to warn someone against a particular prosthesis. In all my years on BoneSmart, I have never done this before but this is different. This device has a taper fit neck which is metal on metal and a similar device made by Stryker has recently been recalled out of an abundance of caution in relation to the ongoing metal on metal issues.

[Bonesmart.org] 2012 November Nimbles - Are you having hip surgery in November?


I urge you to read this thread to understand what I am talking about Stryker recall. There are links to other articles in there that will give even more detail.

Pleas, please don't let you surgeon implant this device in you. If you have to, get a different surgeon.

Please feel free to come back to me here if there are any questions you want answered..
 
I am having my hip revision done on November 20th. My first hip replacement lasted 24 years. It was the best decision I made :dancy:
 
Hi bee square here back after a few months absence from posting as I've been getting on with life after my RTHR last year. I do pop in from time to time to read threads and see how folks are getting on. Had my letter today confirming my LTHR will be on 29 November so I'll just qualify for the November Nimbles!! Love the new look website btw. :puppysmooze:
 
Why hello Anne :)

Pleased you like the new website.... but happy for you that you are getting more internal hardware yourself.. looking forward to following your journey for hip #2 :)
 
I'm getting my right hip done on Monday 11/19. I have the experience of several arthroscopies to date, but this is my first joint replacement. I'm 66, retired and live alone (nearest relative is >100 miles away), so this will be a solo journey. Since a THR isn't some little walk-in-the-park scope job, I'm going into it with (a possibly undue amount of) anxiety, apprehension and fear.

If anybody who "knows the ropes" with THRs could help me with one piece of advice, I'd appreciate it.

Background.....I'm a little bit overweight - 225 lbs vs an "ideal" of 200 for somebody my height per the BMI calculator. I'm physically semi-fit...I can bicycle 50 to 100 miles any day I want to, although doing a century takes a full day will have minor "day-after" consequences. My overall physical condition is only fair - it could and should be a lot better.
The Concern.....I know I'll be on a walker for a while, but I'm not sure how long. The Good Dr (>300 anterior THRs and a "top of the game" reputation in my area to his credit) tells me I can make do with the walker the hospital will give me, and that I'll most likely be done with it quickly enough to surprise myself. He's careful to not give out any guarantees or warranties (expressed or implied), but he's quite optimistic and reassuring.
The Question.....Should I spend the $$ and get one of those good "Rollator" style walkers or just go with the free hospital-issued cheapie? The cost of a Rollator isn't an issue - I just don't want to have another space-wasting "closet-filler" if I'm not going to need it.

Many thanks in advance for any and all advice and help.
 
Hello November Nimbles! Let the countdown begin. There is only 1 MORE WEEK until it is OUR month! Good luck and a speedy recovery to all :cocktail:

Tammy
 
November 30th....Mixed emotions....looking forward to a life without pain but anxious about the surgery and recovery:umm:
 
Hello snowhitewithacane1019; welcome to your international BoneSmart family, great that you have joined.

I believe you said in one.. This is how we all felt pre surgery. 30 Nov will be here before you can blink and then no more bone on bone pain.

Once again welcome, maybe you would like to browse the extensive library we have.. Lots of information to keep your mind occupied.

I look forward to sharing your journey with you :)
 
myharleygirl; you and I have the same date. 1 week from tomorrow and we will be on the other side. Best of luck to you.

Tammy
 
Not sure if I am posting in the correct place, if not please let me know.
I am prone to UTIs and I am so concerned of having one after my THR that I have considered cancelling the surgery. My quality of life stinks with all the pain I am having, but from what I read, an infection can be devastating. If anyone can offer info and/or encouragement, please help......thanks
 
If you don't have a UTI before having surgery, I would just go ahead and get it over with. The will pump you chock-full of antibiotics while you are in the hospital, that I doubt that you would contract a UTI. Go for it Harley Girl!
 
LTHR on Nov 7th for me! This will be hip surgery number 5, but my first replacement.
 
Hi Bear27-
Welcome to the group. You and I are having surgery on the same day. We can be recovery buddies... well, with the rest of the November Nimbles :) A week and one day to go. :thumb:
-nerdgrrl
 
November is right around the corner! Who's ready???
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom