Guest viewing is limited

TKR 2 weeks post op pain and stiffness^

It's getting the balance right between doing enough exercise that doesn't cause pain,building muscle and stamina and losing fat and weight. It's not easy, but 14lbs in 2 months is great. With your attitude you'll get there. I'm not a fan of diets. After years of going up and down by a stone or more and trying various things, I've found the best way to keep on top of my weight is just to eat all the food groups sensibly and healthily with the occasional treat. The problem I found with specific diets is that once I lost the weight I'd come off the diet and the weight would slowly go back on. For me it worked better once I decided I was never going to do it that way again and I've managed to stay the same weight for the past 10 years, but we all have to work out what's best for us as individuals. Hang on in there and you'll get there.
 
I lost 185 pounds in 22 months on the ketogenic diet. I was homebound from previous botched TKR couldn't do any physical exercise to lose weight so I had no other choice but to go on the ketogenic diet to lose weight. In fact, several OS doctors refuse to touch me until I lost the excess weight. That was three years ago and am still living the keto lifestyle. Like any diet it's a lifetime commitment in my humble opinion. If you're looking to lose a few pounds this diet is not for you like what @Lindylee said, once you come off keto you will gain it all back if you're not careful.
 
The never ending battle of the scale! I have lost over 30 lbs since surgery on February 26th, heavy believer of WW, I know Keto works but I just like my carbs a little too much. This is a life change I can live and for me the weight is just melting off. 20 more til I am at my goal, doing daily PT, 2/w OPT P T and walking more has been the ticket for me. Good luck on this journey as well.
 
We did WW 8 weeks before my first knee replacement, lost about 14 pounds it’s easy to follow, I don’t mind weight watchers at all. When I had my first knee replacement the Oxy that they gave me caused me to have dry mouth, which made everything taste like dirt, and that I ended up losing 13 more pounds because of that. I’m trying to keep it off with this knee replacement but that’s because for some reason the Oxy isn’t bothering me
 
Hi everyone! It’s been a while since I checked in but have enjoyed reading many of the updates and comments on how well everyone is doing!

I will be 5 months post TKR at the end of July and it’s been a bumpy road but can’t say how grateful I am for my new knee. I walked for 5 miles the other day which just wouldn’t have been possible for 3 years pre surgery.

This past month or so I have been have real pain in my lower back and then heard a popping sound from the back of my good knee when going from sit to stand. The pain is now a dull ache all day and really is sore when I bend. I seem to have pain all the way down my left side, back, hip and outer thigh which I never experience pre op. Advice would be great folks [emoji4]


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
I'm so sorry to hear of your discomfort. I am going to tag @Josephine, our forum director and nurse to address your question.
 
@sistersinhim thank you. Just feel so down as after getting over post op pain and finally starting to walk and be more active I seem to be in constant pain on my opposite side now.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Please show me where your pains are using this chart

[Bonesmart.org] 2 weeks post op pain and stiffness^
 
Hi @Josephine, thanks for your reply. Pain is LB4 D. Also a lot of pain in my lower back left side and left outer thigh


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
@jospehine it’s L1F W and L2B L3B R. I have what feels like two lumps in the lower back region which are palpable and move around. When the pain is high in the lower back area it does radiate down the back of my leg.

I was asked to purchase new trainers by my Physio due to overpronation and my lower back pain seems to have started then. The pain in my outer thigh has presented almost immediately after surgery


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
@pepsicola I am sorry you're dealing with this new pain, but some bells went off with a couple of things you mentioned.....I've had a chronic lower back issue for 28 yrs, with loose ligaments in my left hip due to a car accident. I get pain in the exact same areas you mentioned following every knee surgery, usually because my lumbar spine vertebra get out of alignment---usually from walking oddly after my knee surgeries and sitting too much. My sacrum sometimes shifts too, and I end up with palpable knots/pain/muscle spasms, and all sorts of muscular discomfort. I wonder if your gait plus the shoe change has brought some of this on (??).

I've also had super tight hamstrings pull on my lower back following a couple of knee surgeries. I had no idea back then how much our legs affected our lower back, but some of your knee pain sounds familiar, as the backs of my knees were excruciating when I let my hamstrings get too tight many times. It jacked up not just my kneecap tracking but also my lower back.
 
@Josephine my apologies, using your phone as predictive text sometimes brings typos!

Thanks for the info


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
So I saw my GP who made me stand on one leg, new TKR leg was fine, my left knee with the pain completing gave way and heard a popping sound.

Referred for xrays and awaiting appointment with my consultant who operated on my right knee but have now unbearable pain, swelling and a LOT of crunching from my left knee. It has been swollen with a hard lump on the lateral aspect now for 4 days.

Has anybody had experience of their good leg giving way following TKR. I had no problems with it at all pre-op. So now down as I’m now back off my feet 5 months post op


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Well, seems like you've now gone the path of many and after having had one knee done, you now need the other one done! Quite a familiar picture, that one!
 
@Josephine really? I never had a problems pre op with my left knee, it took me to go private here in the UK to have my right knee done as our NHS would not operate until I was 50 and said as I was too young.

I definitely know this pain and it really has stopped me in my tracks!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom