Guest viewing is limited

TKR 2 weeks post op pain and stiffness^

@Celle thank you. No I have been really easing off the PT and no swimming this week to give my knee a rest but the pain today was excruciating. I have been off my crutches but reverted back to one today to take off some of the load. I have to admit the one step forward two steps back can be a little wearing. Feeling down today and think because I’m on 44yr perhaps my expectations are just too high for this year long recovery as you say. Thanks for chatting makes me feel like it’s not all gone wrong


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
@pepsicola hang in there, it really is a frustrating needing lots of patience which we all seem to struggle with. I'm at 10 weeks having a swollen painful knee as well today when I know I was very gentle with it yesterday. I keep reminding myself that it doesn't hurt any worse now than before surgery (even if it doesn't bend as much) but moving forward this pain will eventually disappear rather than keep getting worse like it was pre-TKR.
 
I had many days just like this. It eventually got better. :console2:
 
FCBayern thank you [emoji4]. Yes I guess we think it’s all going to be fixed sooner than we thought and set expectations too high. I feel like my leg isn’t straight too but maybe just in my head. On night 4 of no sleep either which we all know doesn’t help anything. Like you say, patience and perseverance. Thanks so much


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
It really is a roller coaster recovery. I have been trying to recovery for so long, some days I wonder if I’ll ever be normal again. I’m 49 and was super active before I did surgery number one, so I get how you think we’d bounce back quicker.It makes no difference of your age. I hope you get your pain and swelling down but know that it’s normal to still have pain. I’m 5 weeks tomorrow and keep thinking I’m the slowest person ever to heal. My leg is still bruised! I am down to one crutch and sometimes a cane, but my knee is no where ready for full weight. This is a trying recovery but listen to your knee and rest and med up when it’s angry. We will get there!
 
@Jolease is right! Yes, listen to that knee. I am still taking it easy and elevating almost all the time. It has helped, but there's still a long road ahead. Every day is different in this recovery process. I still have some bruising, too, and while I can walk a few feet without the cane, I wouldn't even call it that. It's more like a hobble. My surgery leg doesn't feel like it's part of my body anymore. Very weird sensation!

I just realized, we are part of the 40-something club :egypdance:
 
@Irish471 I wonder why some people’s leg or knee feels normal and some feel mechanical or in my case my leg feels heavy all the time. I hope a day will come I don’t think of my knee every moment of the day. I’m holding tight to the 40 something club :cheers:
 
@pepsicola This recovery is most definitely not a linear progression. I went backwards at 5 weeks after doing an exercise I thought I should be able to do. It stopped me putting any weight on a bent leg if I didn't want intense pain and standing from sitting was extremely difficult and painful. I didn't start formal PT until 6 weeks and they were keen to promote exercise that might cause some discomfort, but not pain, and I've just been signed off after 6 weeks and given exercises to carry on at home 3 days a week. I still get some pain on the outside and inside of my knee and some movement from side to side. The PT said the exercises she'd given me would gradually strengthen the supporting muscles thereby stabilising the knee and the OS said to expect some pain, clunks and clicks for 6 months. I think we all hope we'll have a quicker recovery than the guidelines, but reality is different for most of us it would seem. I hope you get some answers from your OS when you see him, but it is still very early on, although I can understand your concerns when you had so many problems before surgery. I saw my OS at 8 weeks and he said his main concern was wound healing and ROM, he thought the issues I had would resolve in time and I don't see him again until January when they'll take x-rays. My knee has improved a lot since week 8 so I hope yours will soon.
 
Doing so much better now 11 weeks post op, almost no pain, full range of movement and fee like I have my life back again.

Only small niggle I have been having is my knee clunks and clicks, a lot. I’ve read it’s not supposed to cause pain however it does when it happens?

My OS seen me at 8 weeks and was delighted with my recovery and I see him again in October. Is anyone else experiencing this? Thanks guys [emoji4][emoji106]


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
@pepsicola , yes! My knee clicks almost constantly while walking. I am hoping it resolves or at least gets better. I had a lot of grinding and loud crepitus prior to surgery so I figure I’ve traded that for a new sensation and noise. :heehee: I don’t have pain from it, though. I have tried to figure out where it comes from and determined that sometimes, it’s the patellar button tapping the femoral implant. Sometimes, I feel something snapping at the back of the knee, like a ligament or tendon.
 
Thanks guys. Seen PT and he happy with the noise it’s my knee is making when bending and flexing, it did come with some pain today. It has definitely started to cause me pain and now I’m having real problems with my sacro iliac joint on my left side. PT has suggested going back to see my surgeon and given me exercises to do at home.

My left hip and side has had dull and aching pain for last past week too. I know posture changes after surgery, especially as I had been walking incorrectly for so long, but is there anyone experienced this also? I have had constant pain in my lower back for over a week now. Thank you [emoji4]


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
You are still early in this year long, on average, recovery.

I found that some of my PT exercises hurt my back. Even before I found Bonesmart I did refuse to do anything to bother my back, as it took me a long time to get my back issues to a manageable level.

Maybe some of your exercises are stressing your knee also, causing the new pain with the clicking.

I would cut back on the PT and see if you feel better.
 
I had lots of aches and pains in my hips especially when walking. It's settled down although I get the occasional twinge still, but now I'm plagued with back pain that my chiropractor said she thought would happen so I'm seeing her weekly until it settles down. I think it's become more noticeable as I've been doing more, but it's frustrating as walking for longer than 30 minutes is very painful.
 
@Lindylee can totally empathise with that. I spent the last 4 years in chronic pain with my knee that once I was over the worst of the TKR it was great to be able to walk pain free.

I have also put on a 2 stone over the last 3 years with the lack of mobility and so keen to get it back off now I’m mobile. My physio is very gentle and don’t find his exercises hurt at all but I have been seeing a personal trainer to help build strength and lose weight.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
@pepsicola
I sympathise about the weight. I have the same problem but am hoping that when I am fully mobile again I will be able to shift it.
i have a friend who has been doing the Keto diet for 2 months and has lost 26 lbs and 6 inches from her waist. It sounds great but I'm not sure that eating all that fat is healthy.
 
@Bionic 26lbs sounds like a great weight loss! I’ve heard a lot about Keto but never really researched into it. Maybe that’s the way forward. It’s a catch 22, when I exercise a lot I’m in pain, I have lost 14lbs in 2 months but never quick enough.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
@Bionic yes very true [emoji4] you have however got me researching Keto diet now, sounds ok and easy to follow. I like the sound of the results you get too


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Losing 14 pounds in 2 months is great. Good going.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom