TKR 2 New Knees and a Little Tweak

It sounds like things are going very well for you! And I would say the fact that you missed two accidents -- one horrible and tragic -- on your way to your appointment was a good thing too. You are safe, recovering and looking forward to fun with grandkids!

Roxie
 
Well I made it to Indy event-free today and it was a good visit. My therapist was in a great mood and when I told her about the problems I had been having with my Achilles and that I hadn't been doing any of the extension exercises she didn't seem concerned. Seems it didn't matter because my flexion had improved to 110 and extension was -1. Her and the doctor were both pleased. The doctor also refilled my prescription for Percocet since I told them I needed something for nighttime without batting an eye. Funny thing though, they told me I was way ahead of schedule from the last time and I could start back at the gym, get in the pool, start cycling and ease back into the leg extension and leg press weight machines. That's 6 weeks sooner than the last time. I may do some walking in the pool, and a few minutes on the bike, but I'm not sure about weights at this point. At least not until I see my Podiatrist and get my ankle evaluated. Feeling relieved :cool:
 
I agree with you. I'd stay away from the weights right now.

Congratulations on the rest of your progress! :yay::flwrysmile:
 
So I went to the Y today to reactivate my membership so that I could start back in the pool next week and the lady I was working with couldn't believe I had a knee replacement 6 weeks ago. Apparently she had one 2 years ago and still has pain when she walks and says it has never felt normal. She's really conflicted because she needs to have her other knee replaced but scared to do it because she isn't happy with the 1st one. Her OS told her he "could try a different size spacer" and see if that would make a difference but wasn't making any guarantees. I'm like, WHAT?? You do realize that is a revision, the recovery will be about like the first time and you need to have someone who specializes in those so they get it right? She had no idea. Oh my gosh. I'm amazed at how little people understand or know about their bodies and how trusting they can sometimes be of the healthcare system. The scary thing is the doctor that did her surgery is the only OS I would have considered going to in our town. It just reaffirmed my decision to travel 150 miles to my doctor. I gave her his name and told her even if she doesn't use him she at least needs to get a 2nd opinion from another doctor.
 
So I took my grandson to the pool today to test out his new swimming skills and give my new knee a test run. He went down the big loop-di-loop slide about 20 times like a champ, was doing back flips, front flips and finally learned the difference between a belly flop and a cannon ball (which he had to practice a dozen times) so I'd say his lessons were a success. My new knee loved the water and I was able to get a lot of good stretching and bending in without any discomfort. Now my knee is saying, "Hah, you just thought it was going to be easy!" I'll take some ice packs and a half a percocet, please!
 
I'll bet it only took my time on the belly flop before he was satisfied with that move! LOL.

I think my knee was a little tired after my one hour workout yesterday. I iced it last night, and it's happier now. I did the same workout I was doing last month, but I think I was a little more aggressive with it than before. As per usual, my TKR knee enjoyed the activity much more than my non-TKR knee. This is going to get old very fast. Always waiting on the non-op knee to be able to move forward with the new knee.

The water is so good for getting the soreness out of my quads, which is so helpful for standing from lower level seating situations.
 
So I haven't updated in a while, but I just have to tell you about a strange thing that happened to me last week. First of all, I have had so much more pain this time than with my last knee. It started in the hospital right after my OS pulled the drain out and has not stopped for one minute since. It's been this sharp, searing ripping type pain in the center lateral part of my knee 24/7 for 8 weeks, never gotten better and no amount of pain meds ever helped it. I've mentioned it to my doctor and therapist on every visit and always gotten the "every knee is different, it will get better, blah blah blah" speech. Because of it I did not do much in the way of exercise this time, but in spite of it have managed to get good flexion and extension numbers on my own. Last Thursday I went to the pool and did some walking and stretches and deeper bending than I had done the week before which were not at all painful. On the drive home, a car in front of me(there was plenty of distance between us) slammed on their brakes and I guess as a reflex I quickly put mine on as well. When I did that I had the most intense pain in my knee for about 3 seconds, felt a pop and then immediate relief. After I got home as the night progressed my knee was sore, a little swollen, but the pain was gone. I kept ice on it all night and actually slept the entire night for the first time in 8 weeks! I babied it all weekend with ice and rest, but I can't tell you the difference. It actually feels normal today. No swelling, no soreness, no pain and this after I rode the bike a mile and a half and did weights at the gym yesterday. The only thing I can think is that there was scar tissue that had formed that I finally broke loose. Good thing because I was ready to have a "come to Jesus" meeting with my OS next week if I was still having that much pain at 10 weeks. I probably have gained 10 degrees in flexion too since this happened. Anyone else ever have this happen or think it could be something else?
 
I wonder how big that piece of irritating tissue was? Glad you could drive after that MWOA!

Long ago I did the same thing on my forearm. Had strained it and it didn't get better for months. DH accidently gave it a karate chop gesturing while talking and after the few seconds of agony the pain was gone forever and I haven't had a problem there since.
 
@KYata -fortunately the traffic was light, and I exited the freeway right after that happened and drove back roads where there is no traffic. I should have gotten that driver's license number so I could send her a thank you card.

:heehee:
I wonder too how big that tissue was. I'm sure my OS will think I'm crazy, but I know what I felt, and more importantly how I feel now. I'm watching it cautiously just in case to make sure it doesn't swell or start to bruise but so far so good.
 
Saw my OS and therapist for my 2 month checkup on the RTKR and 9 month checkup on the LTKR. Both had Flexion of 120 degrees and extension of -2! Not sure how I got them that equal, but the therapist was impressed. My strength testing showed some difference between the Left and Right obviously, but not that far off so I just need to work on the bike and start increasing the weights and that should work itself out. The doctor had no idea what the "pop" was I felt in my knee a couple of weeks ago but said if it felt better we shouldn't worry about it. I told him whatever it was we weren't putting it back!
 
Hello all! It's been a while since I posted on here because it's been quite a trying month. Since my last post my mother became suddenly ill and was hospitalized. To make a long story short they discovered she had lung cancer (after never being a smoker) and she passed away within 2 weeks. It was a blessing that she didn't suffer any longer than she did, but such a whirlwind of emotion and shock that needless to say the focus on building strength in my new knee wasn't even a thought. Since then I've been busy trying to pack and clear out her house so we can get it on the market and ready for an estate sale next weekend. I saw my OS a couple of weeks ago for my 3 month checkup and while I had made some progress in strength it wasn't where he had hoped it would be. However he understood the circumstances and just told me to do what I can. I can tell you that all that climbing up and down step ladders to clean out cabinets, bending and stooping to clear out closets must be doing something because I feel so much stronger this week(at 4 months), can finally sleep all night without little more than a Tylenol and going up and down stairs like a normal person is a breeze. I'm finally starting to feel normal again and so glad all this is behind me and I have 2 new knees to move forward with. For those of you still contemplating whether to have this done, let me tell you I was the world's most resistant to this surgery. Now I just wish I had done it 10 years ago and not have wasted all those years suffering and in pain.
 
@Gigi32 I am so pleased for you that your knees are now pain free and back to normal. My left was about 2weeks before yours, and my right about 5 weeks behind yours. My left was back to normal, just a little achy after a lot of dancing or cooking. However when I had the right done, after a week or so the left started to hurt again and now they are both fairly painful. Others have mentioned this happening to them, did it happen to you?

My OS says it's because the left has had to support the right for so long even before the operation when the right gave up and would hardly move. He says they will improve together. As yours are now so good I would love to know if your progression was like this.
 
@Majic - yes my 1st knee did start to hurt a little right after I had the 2nd one done and it was doing great before that. But as my 2nd knee healed the 1st knee started to feel better. I think its because I had been so used to exercising, then when I had my 2nd surgery and was inactive resting I lost some muscle strength in that 1st leg. Now that I'm active again I've gained strength back and I don't have pain in the 1st knee at all. The 2nd knee still causes some pain only at night but is easily resolved with ice.
 
First, I am so sorry about your mother. My mother a non smoker, also had lung cancer (all of her brothers smoked and she got it from second hand smoke). It is very hard to loose a parent and it seems harder when they are sick such a short time. Although, that is a blessing in itself.

Second I am so glad that you have recovered enough to clean out the house. I did that for my parents too and then I came home and started looking at my own house. I don't want my kids to have to go through all that junk. We just have Salvation army take a truckload of stuff from this house. Five years after their death, I have four empty drawers in the guest room~!! My christmas stuff is two boxes not six boxes and my clothing is really pared down. I now have no "extra" dishes or pots and pans. Everything fits within the fairly small kitchen. At first it was painful to get rid of the children's things---then it became a relief!!
 
@skigirl - my mother was also around secondhand smoke for several years with my Dad and her father, but not for the past 30 years or so. Fortunately we moved my Mom out of her house she had lived in for 50 years about 4 years ago after my Dad died and had gotten rid of a lot of stuff. They grew up during the depression and that generation never wanted to throw anything away, and I mean that literally. My Dad had saved every coffee can they had ever bought and stored it in his garage(a 2nd one behind the 1st garage) "just in case he might need it". She used to tell me I was the "throw away" generation because I just didn't hang on to things like that. We've done the same thing you have and cleaned and purged all the old stuff so our kids don't have to be burdened with our junk.
 
My dad has a quart mason jar filled with bent nails. When I laughed, he said--oh I just straighten two or three a day!! Dad--nails are about $6 a pound!!! He said the same thing---this generation just throws money away. In retrospect, I do think that I wasted money in my youth, but I am pretty thrifty now in my dotage!!
 
Reading your story of 2 TKR has encouraged me. I am at 3 mon with first and considering scheduling the second for early January. I, too, was adamant about resisting even the first surgery! Scheduling the second is a big decision! Thanks for your positive outlook!
 
My sincere condolences on the loss of your dear mother.

At some point during the recovery of my first TKR I got in the mood to paint all the trim around my house, and I totally hear you about step ladders. It felt better to go up and down than to stand still and paint. Who needs PT, lol.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom