TKR 2 New Knees and a Little Tweak

I changed your thread title, now you are all set to go. I will give you another copy of the recovery articles, just in case you missed a few the first time!!

First are the BoneSmart Recovery Philosophy. . .

- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds according to your prescription, don't wait for pain to occur, don't overwork.
- If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
- If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it.
- Take note of the BoneSmart view on exercise and how exercise may affect pain and swelling.
- If you won't die if it's not done, don't do it; if you must do it, short and sweet, not hours on your feet.
- Don't stand if you can sit; don't sit if you can lie down, don't stay awake when you can go to sleep

And here are some very crucial articles
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Activity progression for TKRs

Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling

Home physio (PT) and activity progress: suggestions
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

And wise words from members who have shared their experiences ...
Where are you in recovery?? (TKR)
Five “P’s” of knee recovery
TKR: work “smarter” and not “harder”
Recovering a knee - from one who knows!
It's never too late to get more ROM!
It's worth the wait for ROM
 
Well guys and gals I made it! I'm doing pretty well except I had my usual reaction to anesthesia this time and vomited non-stop for a few hours until they finally got that under control. At least I don't have a sore throat this time. My knee is doing great! Hardly any pain, I can lift it and even hold it in the air and have only had Tylenol and tramadol for pain. The nursing staff has been wonderful again and they've kept my cryo-cuff and ice pack for the back of my knee cold and filled with ice. Can't wait to get up in the morning and "test drive" my new knee!
 
If you had a spinal, be prepared to have trouble lifting the leg after it wears off. I was so excited that I could lift my leg right away. Then, the next day, the spinal wore off, and it was tougher. The exciting part was that I'd had that initial experience of being able to do it, so I knew it would be back.
 
No problem @PolarBear60 , I didn't have any kind of block only a general. I'm hoping all the quad strengthening exercises I did over the past couple of months is going to pay off.
 
I'll be watching to see how your second knee goes. I've recently decided to start doing many of the quad strengthening exercises on my left knee to prep for it's TKR next year. I went into the RTKR with a very weak leg. Glad you're feeling so well!
 
Had my 1st PT session this morning and it went well. I got flexion on my own to 92 degrees! The therapist didn't want to tell me but I insisted - she didn't want me to get "hung up" on the numbers. How awesome is that ?!? Anyway I was able to keep breakfast down, so hopefully the nausea and vomiting is over.
 
Hi and welcome to the forum. Good luck. Great numbers so far. Glad you kept your breakfast down. I had spinal. And well nausea set in. And it's not pretty. But I wish you the best luck in your recovery.

Ice elevate rest. Don't let no one hurt you. Gentle exercise. If it hurts don't do it. It's your recovery no on else's. Xxx


FaithMitchmommy
PKR December.1,2014
TKREV MARCH.2,2015
 
Well I finally made it home and yesterday was a really rough day. A combination of 3 hours of travel, my pain medicine not being adjusted correctly and general malaise and I was a hot mess last night. I had my doctor switch my pain med to Percocet because the Norco doesn't seem to do anything for me. The Percocet does seem to control my pain better but my stomach is torn up so I don't think I will be able to take it for very long. I alternated tramadol/Tylenol with the Percocet last night and this morning my pain is much better. Hoping today will be a better day.
 
I hope everything gets figured out and you can stay ahead of the pain. Gear up your ice maker, prop up that knee and try to rest...:elevate:
 
So far today has been better. We'll see what the night brings. I only got 2 sets of exercises in today but after all the pain I had yesterday I don't want to chance it. I also skipped the afternoon dose of Percocet and my nausea is finally gone. I was finally able to eat some soup and crackers so I feel much better. Just took a half a tab of the Percocet so I'll see if that works better. Hoping the tramadol/tylenol and 1/2 Percocet will be the winning combination. This knee has been much different than the last. I think part of it may be because my patella had to be resurfaced and most of my pain is right on top of my knee. With the last knee my patella was fine but I had a terrible vagus so all those bones and ligaments had to be realigned. I had a lot more soft tissue damage the last time. One other thing - I had horrible bruising the last time, none this time at all that I can see. I have to go back to my OS on Monday and I am not looking forward to that at all (3 hour drive one way). Praying the next 2 days will go much better.
 
Praying the next days are better for you too. Actually I pray for everyone' who's on this site!
 
Praying for you. I know the feeling of stomach being torn up. I am 3 months. And I still get sick off my pain Meds. If u eat some crackers or garnilia bar it may help you. I drink milk with mine. And eat a few saltine or peanut butter crackers. It seems to help. Me.

Xxxx to you.


FaithMitchmommy
PKR December.1,2014
TKREV MARCH.2,2015
 
So far today has been better. We'll see what the night brings. I only got 2 sets of exercises in today but after all the pain I had yesterday I don't want to chance it. I also skipped the afternoon dose of Percocet and my nausea is finally gone. I was finally able to eat some soup and crackers so I feel much better. Just took a half a tab of the Percocet so I'll see if that works better. Hoping the tramadol/tylenol and 1/2 Percocet will be the winning combination. This knee has been much different than the last. I think part of it may be because my patella had to be resurfaced and most of my pain is right on top of my knee. With the last knee my patella was fine but I had a terrible vagus so all those bones and ligaments had to be realigned. I had a lot more soft tissue damage the last time. One other thing - I had horrible bruising the last time, none this time at all that I can see. I have to go back to my OS on Monday and I am not looking forward to that at all (3 hour drive one way). Praying the next 2 days will go much better.



I know I had the same issue with my pain. It was on the top right side. And it drove me insane. But it went away. I had to have my patella works on. I had a partial. It failed. And it had to be converted/revised to a full. Because it was rolling all over my knee cap. And cause me lots of trouble. Best of luck to you...


FaithMitchmommy
PKR December.1,2014
TKREV MARCH.2,2015
 
I had a rough evening last night, but after taking my meds fell into a deep sleep and only got up once during the night to use the bathroom. Ended up sleeping until 9am! Feel so much better today, able to eat breakfast and did my morning exercises. I think the half tab of Percocet is going to do the trick.
 
Great report. Glad things is under control. I had to do half tab also at beginning. Like it was every 4-6 or 3-4 hrs. I did half eveey 3 or 2 hrs. Just be careful. Don't stop taking Meds.

I had to be put on Nucynta it' does the trick for me. It makes me fill great. I don't have that incoherent feeling. Good luck. Xxx


FaithMitchmommy
PKR December.1,2014
TKREV MARCH.2,2015
 
I had my 1st TKR in November, and my 2nd is due on 23rd July. Like you I had a terrific amount of bruising last time, and am hoping to get less this time. It has still not gone completely, but is behind my knee so I don't worry about it as I can't see it. I only ever did exercises twice a day, and for weeks I had a nap in the afternoon. My ROM increased slowly and steadily, and I am now pretty pleased with it. I only ever exercised at home, gently and only as much as I could manage without pain. Good luck for your recovery, and try not to overdo things.
Jackie
 
Well it's been 5 days and it seems like everyday gets a little better. I was able to get all 3 sessions of exercises in yesterday, ate normally and slept all night again. Pain seems to be under control now, just that tight feeling when I am up on it. This afternoon I'll get to shower and wash my hair for the 1st time in a week - that will be heaven! Not looking forward to a 3 hour drive tomorrow to see my OS but I'll make it.
 
Glad to hear everyday gets better. Everyone who has to make the long distance drives to see doctors has made me realize I take for granted just how wonderful the medical community in Pittsburgh is. I think I might have been in a bit of a panic if I didn't know my dr. was a few miles away. Take your ice with you tomorrow!
 
I've been watching you're progress, and will continue to watch. I finally chose my OS and am waiting for a call from the scheduling person. I am sorry to hear about your rough days, but glad to hear your feeling better. It is very important for me to read about what I will be going thru next month. Thank you, and God Bless
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom