TKR 2 New Knees and a Little Tweak

@Majic - I am wondering if the reason I didn't have any bruising this time is because my doctor has started to use a drug before and during the surgery called Tranexamic acid. It controls the bleeding without raising the risk of clots. You may want to ask your doctor about this. I know the last time I was black and blue from my hip down and still have discoloration under the back of my knee where it was particularly bad. It also took a long time for that bruising to go away because I was on Lovenox for 2 weeks. This time there is no bruising and even though I'm still taking Lovenox I haven't gotten any new ones.
 
Survived the 6 hour round trip to the doctor for my 1 week checkup today. I did pretty good on the ride - kept ice on and found the wedge pillow I bought worked well in the floorboard to keep my leg straight and somewhat elevated. This knee is much more swollen than the last one was at this stage, but I still was able to get 102 flexion. My extension needs work, it was +2 and I had -1 on the last one at this point. The therapist keeps telling me not to compare to the last one, but it's hard not to do that when you've been through this before. I don't go back until July 2 and then I'll get my staples out. I hope this swelling subsides some so I can make progress with my exercises this week.
 
I guess I'm lucky to have my Dr. only 30 minutes away. I can imagine that it is difficult not to compare the two surgeries, but I think that is just another good source of information that you actually experienced. Knowledge is power, right ?
 
Sounds like you're doing well for this early stage. Keep doing the ice, rest and elevation routine.
 
Well I know I've read about this on here, but I never had the "blues" the last time and stayed in pretty good spirits. They hit me hard yesterday and I was a hot mess. That took me by surprise. I just didn't feel like things were getting any better. Then suddenly I got up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom and for the 1st time I didn't have that sharp, burning pain in my knee I've had for the past week. The swelling seems to have gone down some today. I've increased my fluid intake and I think that may have helped get rid of some of the swelling (although having to pee every hour is a pain!) My grandson is here with us today and he's such a joy to have around I know my spirits will be better. He's been so sweet getting me things, checking on me and is fascinated with my "broken leg". 7 is such a cute age - I wish he would stay this way forever!
 
I am going to go through major withdrawal because my grandson is only 9 mos so he will be MIA for a few weeks until I am feeling better then my husband can take care of just him and not have me to worry about too!! He is usually with us every Saturday for the whole day because his parents work on Saturdays. I bet every moment is great!!! Glad you are feeling good @Gigi32 - Enjoy the day!!
 
I need some feedback. For the past 3 - 4 days when I lay down and elevate my lower leg starts to spasm and I get this constant ache on the top of my foot and ankle. I also can't tolerate the weight of the cryo-cuff. The things I need to do - ice, elevate and rest - are becoming impossible to do. Could this be nerve related and is there any way to treat it? I hate to call my doctor since I see him next week, but I don't think I can put up with this.
 
Have you tried some gentle stretches? Mild heat on the lower leg?
 
@kneeper - I did put heat on my lower leg this afternoon and it seems to have helped. I also massaged from my ankle to my knee and some of the soreness seems to be better. I was able to cruise around the house today without my walker - yeah!
 
Great!
And nice to know you can walk a bit without the walker-- just make sure you are secure as you "cruise" :walking::)
 
I'm getting a little better everyday, but this tightness in my knee is driving me crazy! Someone please tell me this gets better when the staples come out?? I get those out on Thursday and I'm hoping that helps some. I honestly don't remember being this tight the last time. I'm walking unassisted all the time now and doing fine(still working on no limp). We are going to my son's house today for my granddaughter's 4th birthday party. I'll probably take the walker with me just to keep a barrier between 5 active grandkids and my knee, but look forward to getting out today. The weather is beautiful here for a change - 80 degs, sunny and no humidity!
 
It does get a little better once the staples come out, but it all takes more time than we would like.

Look out for grandma's battering ram! Good idea to use the walker as a grill guard.


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
Had a great day at my granddaughters birthday party, and didn't need to use the walker after all. The kids were more interested in the giant blowup slide/pool than me so I didn't need any protection. I was actually able to walk up steps into my son's house without any problems. Now of course I feel really swollen so I'll be icing for the next couple of days. Feel like I jumped a milestone today.
 
Had a great day at my granddaughters birthday party, and didn't need to use the walker after all. The kids were more interested in the giant blowup slide/pool than me so I didn't need any protection. I was actually able to walk up steps into my son's house without any problems. Now of course I feel really swollen so I'll be icing for the next couple of days. Feel like I jumped a milestone today.
I'm glad you had a good time at your granddaughter's party, but doing that really was a bit too much for a knee so early in recovery. It's only 2 weeks since your surgery.
Be prepared to spend lots of extra time resting, icing and elevating, to get rid of that extra swelling.

Some of that tightness you feel in your knee is caused by swelling. It's only a small space inside your knee joint and it doesn't take much extra fluid inside there to make it feel so tight and stiff. Concentrate on getting rid of the swelling and the knee will loosen up.

Another reason for the tightness is discussed here:
"Tight band" feeling across the front of my knee
That tightness can longer for quite a while, but it does fade gradually.
 
Had my 2 week appointment today and my doctor and therapist were pleased with my progress. Got the staples out ( oh what sweet relief that was!) and my flexion was 105 and extension was 0. I didn't have the heart to tell them I've not been anywhere as compliant with my exercises this time as I was the 1st time because my pain has been off the charts. The doctor listened to my complaint about spasms and pain when I elevate and he thinks it may be nerve related. Gave me a script for Flexeril so we'll see if that helps. My knee feels so much better with the staples out. And I finished the last Lovenox injection today thank heavens. Now if I can relax and get some sleep I'll be a happy woman!
 
Praise the Lord, the Flexeril worked! Took one last night and I was able to elevate most of the night with ice on and had no pain. Slept like a log! This morning the "tightness" is much better and I actually feel like I may make it through this. I'm a little sore all over today probably because of the 6 hour round trip to the doctor yesterday. Just plan to Ice and rest today.
 
I finally feel like I'm getting back to somewhat "normal" today. The Flexeril has helped me sleep the past 2 nights, and I feel less groggy now when I get up. Today was the day to clean the house, and thankfully my wonderful husband usually does most of that anyway. I did a little dusting, mostly just to get in some movement in my knee and he put the bedroom back to normal (removed tray tables, put the furniture back where it was after rearranging it so it didn't get in the way of the walker). I always feel better when my house is clean and neat. I'm going to make a conscious effort to do all my exercises today and see if that gets some of the stiffness out. I'm actually having some stiffness in my 1st knee now for some reason, but once I'm up and moving it goes right away. Can't wait to get back in the gym so I can regain the strength I had before this 2nd TKR. That's a couple of months away though.
 
Well tomorrow will be 3 weeks, and I drove for the first time today. Had to take my Mom to Walgreens to pick up some things so we weren't gone for very long or went very far. Then I took my grandson who I'm keeping on Monday and Friday this summer to his first swim lesson. Now I'm exhausted so I'm resting and icing the rest of the day. I didn't have much energy drain the last time but as I'm finding this 2nd knee is a whole new experience.
 
That was a lot to do. I found driving much easier than going in a store though even though it was a right TKR. Did you get out of the car for both errands? Use cane/walker/crutches?

Glad you could sit with leg up the rest of the day.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom