THR 2 New Hips 2025

Thanks for the clarification.
Yes, 2newHips2025, graduating to a cane will be an event for rejoicing.
Please continue your patience. This time next year, even by Aug or Sept this will all be behind you.
Stay strong!
 
@2newHips2025 -I attempted the stairs several times & each time I did I found myself in the ODIC the next day or shortly thereafter & it was not fun. Someone gave the advice to tackle, maybe 4 at a time (while holding onto the railing) & work on adding a step each week & that worked for me. I did not do the full stairs until much later in my recovery. Good luck & happy healing!!!
 
@msart @Zorro @myglasshalffull Thank you all for your great suggestions. I have 7 steps to get into my cabin, and 15 more to get up to my loft bedroom, so it is daunting. While I am able to go up them all now, as I mentioned, my already trashed right hip is taking a beating bearing all the weight going up. May is my current date to have right THR, which seems like forever with the pain it's causing me, so I'm hoping my new hip can bear the weight sooner than later.
I like the idea of just trying a few at a time with my new left hip going first, to see how it goes. I have to remember it's not "all or nothing" when it comes to recovery. Baby steps are prudent here. "Bite sized goals" will be my new mantra. Thank you for that reminder!
 
@2newHips2025 -idk if your “team” went over stairs with you prior to coming home or not. I learned by-good leg first, surgery leg next-go SLOW. I found that after time it does get easier. 3 x a week-I did the stairs-started with just 4 stairs. And while I COULD do the stairs-(bc one day I DID do them) however the next few days was horrible. So just be mindful that what you do today-will have consequences.

Happy to help. Good luck in may. You got this!!!
 
I add onto msart's last post that post my RTHR, I took the stairs one at a time with both feet on one step.
This was fine and good when I was in training mode post-surgery.
Without my conscious realization, after time, I began to take the stairs naturally, without landing both feet on one step. This seemed to happen on its own as I got stronger.
These things may seem insignificant but are really small miracles!
 
Hi there,
Sorry your recovery may be more challenging due to your deteriorating right hip. Do you have a date for your May surgery? If so, please share and we'll add it to your signature. I wish you lots of comfort as you continue to recover while waiting for your second THR. :console2:
@2newHips2025
 
Thank you Layla. I do not have a date for right THR, just sometime in May. I am hopeful it might be sooner, as it is collapsed. My left side was supposed to be in March, but based on severity he moved it to January 31st, then to Jan 28th due to a cancelation. He did the left one first because the femoral head had collapsed and I could not bear weight, although he says the right side is worse and will be "a much more complicated surgery" than the left. Not sure what that means and I haven't asked why due to my awful anxiety. I just needed to get through the first surgery before delving into the complications on the right side. Hoping he will/can move me to a sooner date. I'll know more after my follow up with him on 3/12. Fingers crossed!
 
I didn’t realize that your left hip had collapsed and caused surgery to be moved up. That really changes everything in my mind. This meeting with your surgeon is going to be very important for you and I sincerely hope that since your right hip has been diagnosed as “worse that the left” that he gets you in for a second surgery as soon as possible. In the 2 weeks until your appointment, please take things as easy as you can. I’m assuming you’re using a walker, but is it possible for you to rent a wheelchair for this time? I would not want you to have the right hip collapse on you.
 
Hi @2newHips2025
I'm sorry to learn that both your hips were/are in such condition. Hopefully your surgeon has you as a priority when his schedule has a cancellation!

I agree with @Jamie that minimizing weight bearing on your R leg, including temporary use of a wheelchair, is of great importance now.

If there's any way for you to camp out on your first floor (for sleep, hygiene, and food) until your second surgery I urge you to consider this as well.
 
@mendogal @Jamie Thank you for your replies. I'm very fortunate to have a helpful husband who helps with everything. He does laundry and grocery shopping, etc. I usually stay up in my loft unless we're going out for appointments, and then I minimize my trips upstairs. In my first few weeks of recovery I stayed with my sister at her one level home which was great. Getting through the next two weeks until appointment with OS, I will be extra cautious. I will have to get my act together and stop fearing the unknown aspects of the right hip. I plan to ask details as to why/what is involved, why it's a more complicated surgery, etc. I'll keep you posted!
 
Please do keep us posted, whether it's with news about your appointment, questions about things, or just venting.
 
Glad you have such a helpful partner. That can make a HUGE difference. You've got this under control and you know we're right here for you if you have concerns or just need to vent a little about having to be patient for this surgery. Sending ((((HUGS)))))
 
My goodness, I am so sorry for all you're dealing with. You're only one month post Left THR and dealing with a collapsed Right hip. I feel for you! :console2:

I am sure you're doing all you can to protect your new hip as you're managing the pain and function of your collapsed right hip. Continue to follow any restrictions you were given and use an assistive device to ease pressure on both hips, always moving carefully. Hopefully ice, heat and OTC meds to manage pain and inflammation brings some relief with the collapsed hip.
I do hope you're able to have surgery before May. Hopefully you're able to maintain as much function as possible without worsening your pain or compromising your new hip.
Wishing you many minutes of comfort throughout the day and a big dose of patience as you wait for your next surgery. Please keep us posted...we're here for you!
@2newHips2025
 
Good Morning! I hope you slept well last night.
Just to make sure we have a clear understanding, will you please confirm whether both Left and Right hips collapsed?
I do not have a date for right THR, just sometime in May. I am hopeful it might be sooner, as it is collapsed.
Your right hip has collapsed?

He did the left one first because the femoral head had collapsed
Left hip also collapsed.

Please try not to allow anxious thoughts to make you fearful as you await your next surgery.
Your OS has already identified that your upcoming surgery may be more complex and will be prepared to address any challenges. Have faith in that. For the upcoming surgery, you'll know more what you can expect having experienced your first THR so recently so it shouldn't feel as overwhelming. When you're tempted to worry, try instead to focus on the two strong functional hips you'll soon have and how it will improve your quality of life and mobility. Brighter days are on the horizon. :happydance:It's going to be good! :)
 
@layIa Thank you for your encouragement. I know it sounds ridiculous, but I have severe anxiety about medical stuff. When my hip issues started, I thought it was muscular, not joint related, so I tried exercising, stretching, chiropractic care, anything to avoid an MD. I lost 25 pounds (by basically starving, and for a time I felt better and my BMI is now in the normal range.) But then, very rapidly, I declined and finally sought medical help. The Xrays showed that my left femoral head was "flat and collapsed." I could not bear any weight on the left. He wanted to do my right hip first, based on xrays, but decided to do left first because I couldn't walk, turn around in the shower, etc. based on the left femoral head and no rotation. I was struggling to accept double hip replacements, so I just focused on getting through the first one and I didn't ask too much about the right side or why it's "more complicated." I did see the words "complete collapse due to avascular necrosis" in my health records, but didn't discuss it with my doctor yet because I'm such a coward! He asked me if I had chemo, if I had done any injections into my hip joints, if I had taken steroids and about my alcohol intake--I don't drink because it makes me very sick (just like pain meds make me sick,) I've never had chemo or any injections or steroids. He did say my xrays were "the worst he'd ever seen," and he was trying to understand how they got this way. He ran some blood tests to check for infection in the joints but those were clear. Again, my fear kept me from delving too much into it. Now that I have one down, my anxiety is better and I will ask very detailed questions at my follow up in a few weeks. I'm 62, I was very active until this all started, but just the usual stuff--walking, pilates, weight training. Nothing that should have trashed my hip joints. My new left hip is great, and the surgery was nothing compared to chronic joint pain so now I'm ready to face it. This forum really helps me, and all of the staff at Bonesmart are so caring and involved. I really appreciate all of you, staff and other forum members. It helps make a challenging time easier.
 
Hi again,
Severe anxiety in relation to medical issues is common. Many will understand. Thanks for your honesty and willingness to share your journey and your fears with everyone. You will always find support here.

I'm guessing it didn't help any learning both hips collapsed and waiting on test results as your surgeon searched for answers. I do hope you have a good visit with your OS in a few weeks and he's able to address your questions and concerns. With any luck you'll be able to have surgery sooner than expected, lose the pain and get back to living!

Thank you for your kind words in regard to BoneSmart and becoming an Insider in support of the community. It is much appreciated. I wish you a pleasant weekend and hope you'll keep us posted!
@2newHips2025
 
@2newHips2025 …. Bless you for being so willing to provide this additional information. I can only imagine that it must have been difficult to write these things on a forum. But I can tell you the impact your words will have for others who share your fears about medical procedures and doctors is tremendous. There are many people who share your feelings. They will see themselves in your comments and maybe gain strength to take positive steps to save them from the pain you’re experiencing.

For us, your words provide the key perspective to be able to advise you in a much better way. I am grateful you shared such personal feelings with us. Right now, our most important task is to have a full understanding of where you are in this journey and to help you find the tools necessary to get through the time until your second hip can be replaced. My heart sang when I read how good your new hip was feeling so far. This is what awaits you with the second hip. We just need to get you there. The keys right now are for you to be able to minimize your pain, to keep weight off your bad leg as much as possible until you see your surgeon, and to hope that he has the means to get you in for surgery right away.

There is a possibility I don’t know if you have considered. Now knowing that your unoperated leg has a hip joint that has collapsed, you could go to the Emergency Room of the hospital where your surgeon practices for help with the pain and immobility. This can sometimes hurry up a surgery as it puts you into an “emergency” situation where the hospital and surgeon make immediate treatment available for you. You also could call your surgeon, tell him how much agony you are in with the collapsed hip, and ask if he thinks going to the ER would open things up for you to have surgery now. If you choose to do any of these things, write down bullet points about your pain and what you can and cannot do now so you are sure to pass this critical information on to the doctors. Don’t be afraid to be as honest with them as you were here. It’s okay for true emotion to come through. Tears are allowed and sometimes helpful to make the point. You are in extreme pain. You have a valid critical medical situation - a legitimate medical emergency. You need people to know what’s going on so you can get the help you deserve immediately. Depending on your pain at this point (if you cannot put weight on your leg without severe pain) it may be the time to either call your surgeon’s office or go directly to his Emergency Room.
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
Back
Top Bottom