Revision TKR 2 failed revisions & a stress fracture, all in 14 months

@eaglemom UAB hospital is the biggest teaching hospital in the state of Ala and that’s where I was. Surgeon was recommended from Andrews Sports Clinic whom has the absolutely best reputation for the best orthopedic doctors in Ala. But they wouldn’t see me because of the prior trauma to knee in 1990.

Also, the doctor I called for a second opinion before the revision surgery, wouldn’t see me for a year from date of my first surgery. So if that’s the case with all of them, I’ve got another 10 long months on an unstable knee. That’s going to be a long wait. However, I will wait as long as I have to because there is no way that I would use this surgeon again. But it’s almost like I have no options and I’m doomed with an unstable knee for the rest of my life.
I feel like I’m between a rock and a hard place right now!

I might have to start looking for a surgeon out of state but that will be complicated by insurance issues. But in the meantime, as you said, just slow down and breathe! Thanks for your reply!
 
You are just a short time out from your surgery, just a little over 2 months. Your muscles will do a lot of strengthening as time goes on. I bet you'll find your knee having more stability as you get stronger.
 
Ilovecruising,
Ask for a knee brace that will help stabilize your knee until you can find another surgeon. @maryo52 wore a brace on her unstable knee for a number of years and may be able to relate her experience.
 
I too was going to suggest a brace. When I needed my first revision no other surgeon would see me for a year either. During that time I used it to research physicians, etc. It's a rough haul, I know, but also hopefully you'll regain some stability that will hopefully come with healing.
 
You definitely need copies of all your files with this surgeon and the surgery documentation. If in fact, you were scheduled to have a hinged knee because of loose ligaments and the surgeon opted not to do that leaving you in the same position as before surgery, you may benefit from talking with an attorney. It might also be a case to report to your state medical board.

While it's true that your muscles will get stronger with recovery (it might take some time with a physical therapist), if your ligaments were bad enough before surgery to require a hinged implant, they are not going to "tighten up" and you will likely need another revision. I'm so sorry this has happened to you.

The brace is a good idea for right now. You're going to have to get a few months under your belt before you'll be able to talk with another surgeon. But that will give you time to build up your file of documentation, research your insurance coverage for out-of-state assistance, and research a new revision surgeon. Once you know more about how your insurance will work and how far you are willing to travel, if you like I can help you track down some surgeons to interview. Just tag me when you're ready to talk. In the meantime, you can use our new Joint Surgeon Locator to see who might be out there. You access it at the tab in the tool bar at the top of the page.
 
@sistersinhim yes, I am only 2 months out so there is still a lot of healing to be done. I hope you are right about the knee becoming more stable but that was also my problem after my first TKR and the reason for the revision 7 months later. I believe the stability is worse this time than after first surgery so it’s just difficult to believe it’s going to improve. However I’ll start wearing my brace again like doctor suggested and praying for the best.

@Pumpkln He did tell me to start wearing my brace again which I’m doing. But I wore it for 5 months last year without improvement so not feeling too optimistic about it. Maryo@52 will share her experience with the brace. I would love to hear it!

@eaglemom I hope you are correct about the knee gaining stability with healing. It’s just a wait and see situation right now. Thanks for your response.
 
Following your thread here in Australia. My thoughts are with you.... awful situation. I can imagine how out of control you feel. Day by day.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
I can only begin to imagine how you must be feeling. It takes my breath away to think of all you've been through and having to consider further surgery at this early on, yet know it can't happen for the foreseeable future. Take care and look after yourself :console2:
 
@Ilovecruising
My knee feels much more "stable" at six months than it did at two months. And, it is still improving.
 
I am so sorry that you are in this position. You can get your surgery notes and documentation from the hospital. Just call them and ask for both surgical records. I had to pay a small fee although if you are using it for a second opinion, it is free.

I can understand your frustration with your doctor who at best does not seem to listen to you and at worst did an unnecessary surgery which will cause you to have another surgery. That would make me furious as well. However, I know that Mary will respond and she spent her time researching surgeons and this last surgery has been a breeze compared to her first surgery.

I hope there are a few positives in your life right now as you will need them. This is a time to do something that you have been wanting to do--take a class or learn to knit or read all of Jane Austen again. Do what you can and the year will fly by.
 
As a paramedic for 18 years in coastal Maine, I delivered many many patients to our small good-hearted but inadequate hospital and have already experienced lots of disappointment in medical providers, and stories like yours just irritate me. I would say my revision surgeon had a similar view as he saw 100s of people a year like me (so he said) with not-very-good knee replacements. My revision really has been a breeze, I still can't believe it. That's what happens when you find Dr. Right.

I believe you already have a knee brace but I'll give you my info anyhow. I bought an Ossur OaSys knee brace. I'm done with mine and would be happy to send it to you except for that little matter of the brace is for the right leg. The model I bought has several sizes, and the valgus-varus angle is adjustable, and also it has a device for limiting any hyperextension (I had hyperextension and excess valgus). It's important for the brace to fit snugly or else it will slide down. Click broken link removed: https://www.sourceortho.net/oasys-oa-knee-brace/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI9cu36JO34QIVDkwNCh19RwNPEAkYBiABEgI_-fD_BwE for a description of the brace and you could buy that one, or I just looked and there's a left leg brace in medium (the size I used) for sale right now and I've included a hyperlink broken link removed: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ossur-OAsys-Carticare-OA-Left-Knee-Brace-Size-Medium-Free-Priority-Shipping/233185770116?hash=item364af47a84:g:Yz8AAOSwDXFcgJuD. Just one other thought: sports orthopedics is very different from joint replacement. Sports medicine specialists are not our people.
 
@Lindylee I appreciate your response .
It is definitely a roller coaster ride. think it really hit me hard today and I had a very emotional day.
 
@rustic . You stated that your knee was more stable at 6 months than it was at two. What kind of instability did you have and what did you do to improve it? I appreciate your help as i’ll take any advice I can get. Thank you
 
@skigirl i appreciate your comments so much. Strangely, I have just started a new hobby, painting by numbers, and decided to paint places that I’ve traveled to. As I was finishing up a painting of Venice today, I started thinking “I used to visit all these places, now all I can do is paint them.” That caused an overwhelming emotional feeling that’s left me in tears the rest of the day
 
@maryo52 thank you so much for sharing your experience. Yes I do still have a brace and I started wearing it again last week but I appreciate the info you gave me. I totally can imagine all you’ve seen working as a paramedic for 18 years. I had been a travel nurse for the past 16 years before my first surgery last year and I’ve seen my share of unfortunate incidents also. What really scares me right now is that i supposing have the best surgeon in Alabama as he’s the one that patients go to to fix other surgeons mistakes. I just kinda feel hopeless right now.
 
@Jamie I appreciate all the information and advice you have given me. I will definitely be taking your advice seriously and have already been doing some research myself.

What really scares me about trying to find another surgeon locally is that mine is the one that patients go to to fix botched (or to be nicer, unsuccessful) surgeries made by other surgeons. But the way I’ve been treated, I will not let him do another surgery on me. It’s just that I have zero trust in him anymore.

I’ve got to start trying to get some insurance questions answered before long. My daughter wants me to come to California (she lives north of San Francisco) for a second opinion and a second revision, if that’s the only answer. It is just so overwhelming to try to look for another surgeon. I looked and did research for a year before I decided on the one I have.

I appreciate all the work you have done in making the physicians list for us. And also all the other administrators and forum advisors that share their time and expertise to try to make things better for all of us.
 
It has been a week now since I got the news that I still need a hinged knee replacement. That would be 3 surgeries on that knee in less than a year.

I think the significance of that finally hit me today and I have been an emotional wreck all day. Even sitting and doing painting, which is suppose to be a stress reliever, I would feel the tears just welling up in my eyes. And then I have totally just broke down and sobbed twice today.

My knee has been hurting so bad for the past 3 days. Unreal sharp pains that just come out of nowhere and causes me to scream out in pain. Although I have pain everyday, this particular pain is new to me. And I have no idea where it is coming from. It has caused me to need more pain medication but now sure that helps.

I have always thought I was a pretty strong person but not feeling too strong right now. Feeling pretty much helpless and hopeless. Not a place where I want to be for sure.

Thanks for being here with your experiences and encouragement. It’s what seems to get me through right now.
 
There doesn't seem anything that I can say that will help you at this moment in time other than that I feel your emotional pain and am thinking of you, words seem inadequate. Tears can be healing, they help us grieve for what is lost and accepting and coming to terms with the situation you find yourself in can be similar to a bereavement. Sending a gentle hug across the airwaves to you and hoping you find some brightness soon in the days ahead. :console2:
 
@Lindylee I never thought of it like that, but that is so true! It is somewhat a bereavement, mourning a loss of something I no longer have. And I gratefully accept your hug across the airwaves!
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom