Bilateral TKR 2½ weeks and going strong on BTKR

Status
Not open for further replies.
HiReady
I laughed when I read about your housekeeping spree at 6 days. I had my house cleaned professionally the day I came home from the hospital - and have not done much since. The place is neat, but don't look too closely at the carpet or the kitchen floor! And I have my husband's family visiting this weekend. I'm gunning for hubby to at least wash the floor...but he'll be too busy golfing w/his brothers and sisters. I managed to clean the guest bathroom.

Maybe one "benefit" of having bilateral surgery was that I couldn't stand up long enough to be that energetic! Thanks for the advice.
 
I do my PT or go for a short walk (2-3 blocks' worth) and my knee feels like an unbendable log - I can get it to bend, but my inclination is to sit.
Then follow your inclination!
Right now I take a Percocet in the evening & one in the middle of the night if it feels necessary, as well as one before any outpatient PT. The ongoing meds. I feel I should be off them but I won't be, not completely, for awhile. I am so tired (both physically and emotionally) of walking and sleeping with pain and sometimes find it hard to trust that the painless day will come
Gee wizz, you ladies do want to rush to the finishing line fast, don't you? You're only just 6 weeks out and already crying the "will it never end" song! Well listen to this - 6 weeks is early days VERY EARLY DAYS! You need to resign yourself to some facts and a reality check
1. walking 2-3 blocks at 6 weeks is far too much
2. you're not taking anywhere near enough pain meds. Go back on your prescribed doses and stay on them for another 3-4 weeks. I said this to you before in post# 13!
3. go back to post #10 and read the articles I left for you. Specially the ones on pain management, activity progression and the energy drain.
I still get emotional and last night had quite the boo-hoo fit
And the one on post-op blues!
 
Josephine, you are very patient with we American ladies who are so IMpatient. You have told me more than once (I think) that this is early days.

It seems that each of us has a "strength" in recovery - I have an acquaintance who had BTKR and walked easily but had bending problems...and of course it's hard not to compare w/others.

I will listen to you dear Josephine! (You'll see Ray scolded me a little too.)I did not walk today except to get from Point A to Point B as needed, and that was plenty since I drove a bit and did 15 mins of cycling at the gym. Went to a gathering for visiting relatives - my husband had to leave after an hour and a half, so that was my excuse to leave too. 10 chattering grown ups, an enormous, barking, rambunctious dog, and an active, toddler who alternated joyful squealing with sudden crying...it was fun - but took energy! I'm glad I took a pain pill before I went. Now I can settle in with ice and a book.

Thank you, o patient one!
j
 
The PT activities don't hurt in and of themselves - in fact, I enjoy a lot of them.
Even so, a negative reaction - stiffness and/or swelling - can happen in the next 24 hours and is a warning signal.
(You'll see Ray scolded me a little too.)
:) Who is this Ray geezer? Ban 'im!!
 
Today I woke up feeling a bit blah - tired (sleep is still hit and miss) and a bit stiff. However, I'd optimistically made an appt. to have my hair cut/styled. After thinking about rescheduling, I just got myself fixed up and went anyway. This meant a bit more driving, plus sitting in the chair for 45 mins., then more driving. It all went pretty well. The stylist gave me a Coke which perked me up too. I came home & sat; will go to PT in a couple of hours.

And that's it. Did not do my a.m. exercises or even attempt the dusting & neatening that needs to happen prior to houseguests arriving on Sunday. I figure they'll make their own mess anyway and if the weather's nice, we can spend lots of time on the deck! So you see my priorities: Hair apppointment: yes; house pride: no.
 
I think your priorities are in the correct order. It's supposed to be me time!:kittykiss:
 
Hi all
I haven't posted on my own thread in awhile - nor on many others this past week. My husband went out of town two weeks ago - to avoid boredom, I went back to work half-days. This was easy to do as our school quarter only had five days left. (going to work, yes; cleaning house, no--so I'm consistent in my lack of interest in housework.) School ended on Wednesday so now I'm on vacation, ha!

So...today I am at 10 weeks, which means I started those half-days at 8 weeks. Considering all I had to do was sit in a cube and do computer work, I was surprised at how much energy "work" took! Having hubby gone has both forced me to be more active (hunting & gathering) and allowed me to be lazier (no ridicule for a 9:30 bedtime).

I've also been using the new gym...though that hardly seems an apt term. This facility is run by Madonna, a leading regional rehab organization that just happens to be located in Lincoln NE. The "gym" has the usual land-based weights, bikes, etc.; a lap pool as well as warm-water walking track w/soft current and a therapy pool; and a regular PT area with tables and equipment. New members are assessed by a wellness coach and a trainer. I go to outpatient PT 2x/week and do my exercises at Madonna about 3x/week in addition. This week I walked the water track a few times too.

Walking is finally, finally getting better. For the most part I have less stiffness/"log leg" feeling, though I can count on 1-2 days a week where the knees order me to take it easy and spend more time elevating/icing (today being one of those). Frustration sets in that I can't do more without getting stiff. As for sleep - forget it. I sleep on my side but must have a pillow between my legs. I cannot stay comfortable and have to take pain pills when I go to bed and often again in the middle of the night. So many people on the forum seem to do without pain pills earlier on, or are able to sleep, or both...I get very discouraged and of course am tired much of the time. I keep trying to do without pain pills, but that sometimes backfires; I need to just take the damn things.

My knees DO feel very foreign in my body; I "feel" them all the time. Did anyone else have this sensation? My PT claims this is because I have skinny legs & no tissue to absorb some of the nerve reconnection, etc. that's happening as my knees heal & my brain learns to recognize the artificial parts. Ugh! Hopefully someday I'll be as unconscious of my knees as I am of my elbows.

Overall the plus sides of the surgery are emerging, especially the fact that I'm not limping and have no hip or back pain. Co-workers thought I'd gained height through the surgery; the difference: I'm not bent over to accommodate limping. My knees may ache a little when I first stand up, but I stand up faster and I KNOW they will work without slipping, locking up, etc. I dream about next year when I'll be able to ride a real bike and go on a real walk.

Sorry for the long post! I hope everyone's well and will check in with the usual suspects. :SUNsmile:
j
 
Hi all (! not that anyone's watching my thread, evidently, which is OK).

Today the new knees are at the three-month mark. Overall things are good. Bit by bit all the weird zingy sensations are gone, though last Friday I could have sworn there was a piece of metal digging into my knee tissue - that feeling lasted one day and was gone. Stiffness is WAY down and the knees feel more at home in my body. Just in the last two days I've had another of those "suddenly better" shifts. Yesterday we went to Home Depot to look at bushes, flowers, & various home projects - in all, I ended up making three trips (!) - lots of walking, standing, etc.

I'm slightly frustrated with ROM, which has not budged in a month: 120/118. However, the PT and I agree that a few more degrees might come as I resume more activities, and that this ROM is fine for day-to-day functionality; I will probably keep working on ROM to some degree but not make it the centerpiece of my PT as exercises are unlikely to gain me motion. Going to PT is near its end; I'll do exercises on my own.

Setback: The back/hip pain that ruled my life from last Sept to the day of surgery returned last week. Ugh! Who the hell put my lower body together anyway?! Now back PT exercises are part of my routine too. However, because I can now squat, I was able to load the dishwasher, etc. Thank you new knees!

I do a lot of water walking and sometimes do some of my exercises in water. That's not so great for building strength, but I think it has helped with my walking. I do the stationary bike at least 4x/week and am starting to build in resistance. Have learned to wear capri leggings to the gym; if I wear shorts, half my time is spent talkign to people who need knee replacement, see my scars, and start asking questions!

Meds: Still reliably taking 1-2 a day, though in the last week that was more for my back than my knees. Sleep: Better but not solid. That will be an issue for my GP.

I go back to work on Monday after the luxury of 3 months off. That will be a shock to say the least! (Goodbye lazy mornings watching Graham Norton on BBC America.) We'll see then what kind of stamina I do/don't have.

Love Bonesmart still. Anyone on here who's in early days, be patient! All will come in time.
Thanks to all of you who have helped ME.
j
 
Ok, MissJ, I didn't wait for your answer.....I came to your page to see for myself! Sounds like you are doing a lot! I can't wait to water walk! Another 2 weeks or so for that activity. Like you say, everything will come in time! Patience, patience! My priorities would definitely line up with yours regarding housework? Or hair? Hair would win every time! This is YOU time, so take it and enjoy it!

Limpy
 
[Bonesmart.org] 2½ weeks and going strong on BTKR
What a GREAT update, MissJ!!!! You've come a long way since April---yeah, that 3 month mark is the beginning of getting even better just living your life. Just watch for energy drain when you first get back to work---make plans to do a lot of resting in the beginning until you get back into the swing of things. Now that you've got two great knees, hope you'll be able to sort that hip/back thing and get it taken care of for good.

Also so happy for a BoneSmartie who has your great results---you'll be an inspiration for those coming up.

Take care of yourself and keep us updated. We care.
 
Miss J! I enjoyed reading your thread! Wow two months and you are doing so well! My knees just do not want to bend and I feel like they are wrapped in two layers of rubber bands.... I try to walk and bend them and it feels so foreign and hurts so much! I dream for the day I can go for a walk... a real walk. I will follow your thread and watch your progress each post. Thanks for all your encouragement on my thread. I really appreciate you and your input. Have a marvelous weekend My Dear!:)
 
GreT update Missj. It gives me hope as I am almost at 4 wks post op and feel like time and progress are moving ata very slow pace!
 
Here I sit after day 1 of work. Bottomshollow - you are so right about energy drain!

The first shock was getting up. Last night when I went to set the alarm, it was still set for 4:00 a.m.--the time I got up for Surgery Day 4/5! Sleep last night was intermittent at best as "busy brain" set in. This wasn't exactly worrying, but wondering if the alarm was about to go off, thinking about seeing coworkers, etc. I reversed my usual morning routine and ate/rested/ woke up a little prior to putting on makeup and dressing, but I did manage to get to work by 8:00. NOTE: I am famous for lounging around for 2-3 hours in the morning so this was an accomplishment. I'm planning on nighttime showers for awhile.

Work was quiet as students don't show up until Wed. I sat in my chair working to set up classes, mostly, though there was lots of standing around chatting in the halls as everyone was coming back from summer break, and the closest restroom is a long walk away. My energy started to drain around 11. Lucky for me I have a co-worker who did the BTKR gig four years ago - my first question for her was: did YOU feel ready? She laughed and told me to bring my ice packs to work! A good idea.

I was able to leave around 1 p.m. as hubby had a medical procedure & needed a "responsible driver." When we got home I lay down and boom! was out cold for 45 minutes. I am NOT a napper, so this says something...made a quick trip to the grocery, did a few quad sets and back exercises and had a little boo-hoo more from exhaustion than anything else.

I have iced a few times, finally painted my fingernails for something peaceful to do, and will take a pain pill at bedtime. Eppie and Popo (knees) definitely are more tired, stiff, and "buzzy" than usual. It might take a few nights for the sleep schedule to straighten out, but I expect that. Also to be noted: I'm breaking in some new, custom, heavy-duty orthotics, so by the time I left work my feet were tired too - that will ease up next week.

In short: patience and endurance! Several co-workers commented on how much better I was walking than back in March. The next few weeks will be rough energy-wise but this is yet another new step.

Gazelle! You are doing fine. That rubber-band feeling will be around for awhile. It drove me nuts for about 10 weeks. Not everyone gets that same feeling so don't feel you're exceptional (haha!). The co-worker and I talked quite a bit about the "foreign" feeling you describe. Again, some people get it, some don't. Do you have slender legs? That's one theory...

Luisa: You too are doing well. Four weeks is SO early in the whole process. I did two things to track myself: I had a word for the day (I had written 50 of these on little tickets & put them in an envelope - drew one out each day) and used that word as a prompt to do the second thing, which was journal. It really did help to go back and see what I wrote in Week 1 when I was frustrated at week 5.

!! My posts are too long. You are all very patient and I am grateful for each and every Bonesmartie. Have a great evening.
j
 
Eppie and Popo (knees) definitely are more tired, stiff, and "buzzy" than usual.
I remember returning to the classroom and finding out that, by noon, that my knees were stiff and a little bit sore.

In short: patience and endurance!
Bingo---it is something that we all have to find---and we have to reach deep inside of ourselves---but it is there!

She laughed and told me to bring my ice packs to work! A good idea.
Very wise! I would also ice during my planning period and during my lunch time---and I would try to elevate them as much as I could.

Here I sit after day 1 of work. Bottomshollow - you are so right about energy drain!
Again---right on the mark! I have never been so tired as I was when I returned to teaching---by the end of the day, I would crawl back to my our post is full of positive vibes! Congratulations on taking that step in returning to work---and bringing even more normalcy to your life!
 
I agree with all the others--stamina will come, although I think you will have a rough two weeks while you adjust. Ice packs at work are a great idea and it would be also great if your boss would agree to let you go home early for the first two weeks. Loping off an hour or two at the end, would help.

When You get home, probably the best thing to do it just collapse into bed. Bring home take out and don't even try to cook or clean!! Paper plates are my new mantra. I exhibited at an art fair this weekend and I spent all of today in bed!! the dogs woke me up at 6 pm because they wanted a walk!! A few hours on bonesmart and I am back to bed!! Take care of yourself---it will help you adjust.
 
Skigirl -
you are ON it. My designated cooking night is tonight & I'm already trying to figure out how to wiggle out of it, as I have PT at 5 p.m. and also need to take a shower. Delaying my cooking until tomorrow will just result in another delay tactic! Taking a sick hour at the end of each day would not be a problem if I needed to.

Congratulations on the art show and getting through it! Funny how this energy thing takes soooo long to resolve.

Referee 54: I am hoping to figure out a way to elevate at work.

The plus side: I slept pretty darn well last night! Lights out at 10:45, did not wake up until 4:00 (that's a good run for me) - back to sleep 'till alarm went off at 6.

Have a good day, all!
 
When I first started back to work---I worked in a store, I took a 20 min break every three hours minumum and I would go into the break room, lay down a yoga mat and prop my foot on a chair. I would ice and elevate. Once, I did fall asleep and they had to wake me up!!!

But, if you live in a city, take out is a gift from the gods!!! I live in a small town and it is chinese or pizza. I eat a lot of chinese!! When I visit my son in chicago, I just love the take out (he has three kids!!)---it is fabulous there!

Most of all, find a schedule that works for you---elevate when necessary. Some people bring a box or stool to work so that they can keep the leg up while at their desk. Although, not the best---that is better than letting the leg sit on the floor.

Also, I wore support hose for the first two months back and they did help with the swelling. I bought some from a company on line---discount surgical stockings--they had a thigh hi one that was footless---under pants it was invisible. But, again, if you live in a bigger town, you might have better store shopping. I also cut off the foot of the ted hose and wore them sometimes too===they do not run after you cut them. I woudl make little "cuffs" at my ankle. My biggest problem was that the hospital put a large on me and they would fall down at the top of the thigh--and then hang down below the knee--wonderful look.
 
So here I am on the Friday of my first week of work. Whew! Picture a cup holding my day's worth of energy. Then imagine punching a hole in the bottom of the cup at 6 a.m. (when the alarm goes off)...

Actually I have gained a bit of energy/endurance as the week has progressed, though what I'm calling "recovery brain" has manifested itself a couple of times in the classroom as I lost my place in one lesson plan and in another class, claimed "I don't know" to a student's question when the answer was right in a footnote to the reading. Ha!

Wed. was the low point - poor sleep the night before, and the first day of classes - four hours straight in the classroom talking, walking, etc. I felt fine until I was driving home and actually dozed off at a stoplight. Once I got home it was straight to the bedroom for a nap. Because I'm trying to get into "good habits," I then forced myself to go to the gym & do PT exercises. What I really wanted was to get into the pool, but it was crowded. Then my very patient, very kind husband went to the store, got food, and cooked dinner AFTER allowing me to cry on his shoulder - crying simply from being so damn tired.

Yesterday I woke up feeling crappy but put in a full day at work, went to PT, then had dinner w/friends - out of the house for nearly 13 hours straight. Today I hope to get out a little early and go straight to the pool! I haven't been in it since Sunday and miss it. The water is soothing and I can try moves that are difficult on land (i.e. kicking my foot toward my butt).

The knees have that "rubber band" feeling all the time, though today seems slightly better. PT plus: I have finally been knocked down to 1x/week - my back issues have prolonged things as now we're working to get my hips/spine straighter. Though the knees are stiff, the only actual pain occurs late in the day - aching, more than pain - or in transient buzzy/shooting sensations. Also my recalcitrant right quad is finally starting to fire (the "kicking forward" motion).

Sleep: elusive. In the main, though, the knees feel better at night these days.

What I still long for: to have my knees feel natural. To stop planning activities around how many times I have to get in/out of a car, get in/out of a chair, etc. To enjoy standing in the shower instead of trying to get it over with. To find shoes that aren't athletic shoes but that fit my orthotics. To ride a real bike (that one's probably a long-term wish.) To sleep, perchance to dream...(thanks WS)

What I'm grateful for: Everything! - including my new knees and Bonesmarties. Thanks, all!
j
 
Miss J---I am impressed, I would come home and go right to bed!! I am glad that you have changed pt to only once a week---otherwise it is too much with working full time. My stepdaughter went to the University of Nebraska in Lincoln!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom