TKR 15 days post TKR

Status
Not open for further replies.
@warriors42

Thank you for explaining the insurance program! This is info that I can use to help educate our patients!
I will check to see if anything like it is offered in my state"

Take care of yourself, and remember to rest!
Best of luck to you!

Jo A ne
 
I know you've had some good answers but here's my two penn'orth as well!
The only question I really have is about the heat coming off the knee after any type of movement with it. Is this normal?
Perfectly normal. All wounds are a little warm during healing but in a knee, it's more because the knee is the biggest and most complex joint in the body, therefore has more healing to do!
I had just read so many horror stories about getting addicted that I thought I could tough it out, man was I wrong.
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Still not getting a lot of sleep at night, but do get some naps in during the day.
Perfect! Exactly as it should be! Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?
Can anyone tell me how long before the incision site will be healed enough I can start walking in the pool?
it's not so much teh wound as the temptation to do too much. That's very easily done in a pool so I recommend you don't try it until at least week 8.
19 days after my RTKR. I have ROM of 122, and can get my leg completely flat.
That is amazing! Wow!

And though it's a little late in the day, here are out recovery articles
First are the BoneSmart mantras ....
- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist - to do it to you
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!
- be active as much as you need to be but not more than is necessary, meaning so much that you end up being in pain, exhausted or desperate to sit down or lay down!

Next is a FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) thread.

And here are some very crucial articles
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Activity progression for TKRs

Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling

Home physio (PT) and activity progress: suggestions
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

And then some wise words from members who have shared their experiences ...
Where are you in recovery?? (TKR)
Five “P’s” of knee recovery
TKR: work “smarter” and not “harder”
Recovering a knee - from one who knows!
It's never too late to get more ROM!
It's worth the wait for ROM
 
I learned a valuable lesson today.DO NOT push yourself, and don't get cocky about how well you are doing. I have been having an awesome recovery, little to no pain except for bed time for some reason. I have only been taking pain meds at bed time for the last few days because I have been feeling so well. So today I go to PT and get after it. Ride the Bike, use ankle weights, do squats, you name it I was up for it. I felt completely healed while at PT today. On my way home knee starts to ache, by the time I got home I hurt so bad that I was shaking to the point I couldn't hardly get the cap off my Norco. I spent most of the day on bed with ice and elevation. The pain has eased a ton but it seems like I went back to week two as far as swelling goes. Hopefully by tomorrow I will be back to where I was Monday, and if I am I will go into PT like I am only a couple days out of surgery.
 
I know I don't post much but I am on here every day reading how everyone is doing. That being said I would like to share my progress at six weeks. to start I would like to say I have truly been blessed in my recovery. I am at a -2 and 125 rom. I have been off of my pain meds during the day for about ten days now, I do however take a couple Norco and a flexeril to sleep through the night.

I still get some swelling and stiffness during the day, but my knee has been swollen and stiff for as long as I can remember so I am just hoping that in time I will realize what its like to not be that way. I am driving myself everywhere now. I am doing PT 2x a week, I am doing 20 minutes on the bike and they have added weights 5lb to all my exercises. I did get a small infection on the bottom of my incision but caught it right away and got on anti, and pro bionics cleared up in about a week. Lesson learned DO NOT scratch your scar lol.

I still have some pain going up and down stairs, but every day someone tells me how much better my walking looks. I have been told by my dr, and PT, that I am one of the few lucky ones to have such a quick and pretty easy recovery. Thank you God, and bone smart.

My daughters wedding is on the 13th and I am pleased and proud to report I will not only walk her down the isle, but I will also enjoy a nice long slow father daughter dance. I with all my heart wish you all could enjoy the type of recovery I have had. May God bless all of your recovery's like he has mine. Joe
 
Thanks for updating us. It looks like you're doing great! Very reassuring for the newbies.
 
Today I spent the better part of 8 hours on the go. Took a two and a half hour road trip, hour of PT, and shopping. Got a little sore and swollen, but for the most part I feel great. If I could give any advice it would be follow the mantra here. elevate, ice, rest, pretend its your favorite song and keep repeating it as much as you possibly can. Other than my travel time home, and dr apt I only got out of bed to go to the bathroom for the first three and a half weeks.

I rushed myself back after my reconstruction and never got healed I had been swollen stiff and in terrible pain for the last fifteen plus years. This time I promised myself I would do it right. I found this site took the advice that was given, and even though I am only six weeks out, I honestly can not remember when I felt this good.
 
I hope you still feel good tomorrow! I overdid it one day last week (4 weeks post-op) and paid for it for the next 3 days. Not the knees: they were stiff but not too painful. It was my shins and feet - they hurt for days afterward. Lesson learned!
 
I hope you still feel good tomorrow! I overdid it one day last week (4 weeks post-op) and paid for it for the next 3 days. Not the knees: they were stiff but not too painful. It was my shins and feet - they hurt for days afterward. Lesson learned!

Thanks LauraLeigh. I have iced for about five hours off and on since I got home, and most of the swelling is gone down. I am laying in bed watching walking dead on Netflix elevated and icing. And of course reading and posting on this great site. Hope you have a great fourth. I am looking forward to my first fireworks show with my grandkids tomorrow so I got no choice but to feel good. Lola...... Joe
 
Joe -
I love Walking Dead! They're doing a "Dead, White and Blue" marathon this weekend culminating in a season 5 sneak preview on Talking Dead Sunday night - I'm looking forward to watching that.
 
It's my favorite show, I have watched the complete series twice on my third time now. What else am I to do while I lay in bed icing lol. Looking forward to Sunday night. And you were right I felt like **** today. Oh well live and learn right?
 
Joe, sorry your busy day backfired on you!

We've kept the Walking Dead marathon on all weekend. We're looking forward to tomorrow night but hate that we have to wait until October for the new season!

I hope you feel better soon - we're going out to dinner tonight and then grocery shopping and I'm hoping that won't wear me out this time. I'm also going to attempt driving for the first time; I think I'll be okay. My thighs are sore from PT Thursday but the knees feel fine.
 
Laura. Hope dinner and shopping went well, how was driving for the first tome in a while? Maybe we should start a thread in the social area on the walking dead, I'm curious on how they are getting out of that blasted train car. All I can think of is Tyree, and Carol save the day. Anyways hope you had a wonderful day, Joe
 
Joe, driving, dinner & shopping went well. The sitting at stop lights was the worst part; my right knee didn't like it much but it was just stiffness, not pain. I'm sure it will improve with time and more PT.

I wish Tyreese and Carol would save the day, but I think they're too smart to get caught in the Terminus trap!
 
Hey Laura. Glad to hear you had fun that's awesome. The stiffness will improve I have been driving for about two weeks now and it gets easier every day. I got a feeling Beth is at terminus, but Rick did hide all those guns so who knows maybe Carol and Tyreese were watching and will be the big heroes. Also did you see they have a special on Tuesday nights for at least a couple weeks. I think they are trying to get us die hards through till the season starts lol.. Joe
 
@warriors42 You are about 6 days ahead of my husband. You are both overdoers. Hubby desided to see if he could push 95 lbs with just his new knee leg Monday at PT. OOOps! Leason learned - not! Wednesday PT he pushed 55 lbs with just his new knee leg. Today I am boss and he isn't allowed to do anything more than walk.
 
@warriors42 You are about 6 days ahead of my husband. You are both overdoers. Hubby desided to see if he could push 95 lbs with just his new knee leg Monday at PT. OOOps! Leason learned - not! Wednesday PT he pushed 55 lbs with just his new knee leg. Today I am boss and he isn't allowed to do anything more than walk.

I totally understand how your husband feels. I started on Friday by going to the rehearsal dinner for my daughters wedding. Next day six hours worth of standing, walking, and dancing. Then the following day was filled with a day of packing to take my youngest off to medical school. I have made three trips to Mobile Al since Monday. That is about 250 miles round trip, and guess what my daughter lives on the second floor. Good thing her brother worships her and me, he carried 90% of the stuff for her. Theres been lots of icing every night for the last week. Ll.
 
Thank you, the wedding was wonderful. I have been truly blessed in my life with my children. Brittany is my baby girl so it was hard taking her so far from home, but she has been focused on this for the last thirteen or fourteen years. She was actually pronounced dead at five days old. Thanks to one doctor who didn't care about anything but saving my little girlish is allowed to be where she is today. That doctor actually paid our medical bills out of his own pocket so thanks to him Brittany is on her way to becoming a pediatrician herself. She has know her story since she was old enough to understand, and it was then that she made up her mind that she would repay that debt.

I have been involved in martial arts for over thirty years. I hold black belts in three different styles, so I understand what he feels when it comes to being active and pushing himself. Tell him to use his mind not his body, he will feel better much sooner. God luck.. Joe
 
@warriors42 I thought the wedding was to be in August. Sorry. Glad it was great!
Wow, amazing story, she and you were so lucky she did have such a wonderful doctor. My daughter is a RN.
My husbands knees have been so bad for so long he would have ended up in a wheel chair in a few years at the rate he was going. He isn't retired and still works , he is on short term disability from work right now. He is actually doing really good. Pain level today has mainly been a 1 and maybe a 2 flare. In PT he rarely gets over a 3. His second knee will be done Aug. 6th.
 
Hey everybody just wanted to check in and give an update. As of this past Thurs day I am 10weeks post-op. I must say that other then the felling of being tired pretty easy I am feeling unbelievably great. My swelling seems to be at a minimum, and I only take one hydrocodone and one flexeril at night to sleep. Today my day consisted of cutting hedges, push mowing my front yard and cutting down a tree with a chainsaw that was dying.
I had to take a lot of breaks today and a nice long nap this afternoon but the knee feels great. I did get some type of stomach virus that seemed to hang on forever. Everyone else was over it in two or three days but it took me almost a full week before I felt better, I chalked it up to the knee still needing most of my energy. Anyways for those that are struggling, hang in there when it starts to feel better you will be sooooooo happy. The hardest thing for me to get use to is the smoothness of my new knee, it's funny how it feels weird not to feel the grinding and catching.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom