TKR 15 days post TKR

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can not remember the last time I felt this good and I am only ten weeks post-op. The people there were the greatest health care professionals I have ever been around, the most caring people you could ask for. I can remember pretty much everyone that I interacted with by name, that's the type of impression they leave on you. Its good that you can drive there, looking back I kind of wish we had rented a car because we had a couple days we could have done some site seeing before the surgery. Goo luck with everything and please keep us posted on your journey. If you have any questions about the process with the centers of excellence please feel free to ask. Joe
 
Thanks Joe. I am doing pre-op exercises and riding my bike for 20-30 min a day around the neighborhood. We chose to drive because it is an 8 hour drive and when you look at flying it would be very cramped and takes about 6 hours with wait times and layovers. My daughter did not want to be car less for almost 2 weeks. Thanks for your reply . It sounds like this is a great program ! Julie
 
@warriors42 Sounds like you are doing great. Hubby gets his 2nd knee Wednesday. He will be 10 weeks then. He still has a little stiffness when first standing, and still has some energy drain. He said the worst part of recovery is the lack of sleep ( I think that adds to the energy drain). He is so ready to get the second one done and get on with his life. You have a great day!
 
There is a store pretty close to the hotel, very well priced. I can't remember the name but if you take a left out of the hotel go to the light and take a right it is right there on the left. The even delivered our stuff to the hotel for us since we didn't have a car.

Dr. Waltz did my surgery so I don't know about your OS, but believe me you are in great hands. I hope you get Tracy for your navigator she is an absolute sweet heart. If you get her ask if she remembers Joe and Deb smith the ones she brought a pizza to the hotel for. If you do please tell her how well I am doing. Thanks. And if you have any questions please pm me. I would be happy to even talk to you on the phone if you like. Good luck. Joe
 
Well @warriors42 !
I was looking for a positive recovery thread and now I've found yours! Hallelujah.
I used this forum last year when I had a THR and found a cohort of really positive people who approachedveach step of the process with optimism and boy did that hepl! Of course we all had the odd moan or hiccup but someone would always respond with a suggestion or solution .
We had quite a few laughs as well and always saw ourselves as people who had a surgery that would improve our lives rather than 'patients' who dwelt on all the negatives!
I find some of the threads quite depressing and self defeating so good on you and your attitude...glass half full!
Cheers! I am going to tag two Bonesmart friends who are with me in my search for a positive role model.... @TeeEm, and @mystikfairy61
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hello Maeve. Thank you for such a nice response. Its easy to be positive when everything has gone as well as it has for me. I still get a little sore behind the knee, but other than that I have had an absolutely perfect recovery.

I am just seventeen weeks post op, even though I know I shouldn't have I ran a couple miles Tuesday afternoon, and have started teaching martial arts again. I won't make a habit out of running but I just had to see how it would go. I am only 53 so I don't plan on this knee replacement turning me into an old man, lol. I have come to terms with the fact of if I have to do it again in ten or fifteen years so be it.

Like someone told me recently, you wouldn't buy a new car and just leave it parked, you would take it out and enjoy it. That's exactly what I am going to do. I do have to admit that I am a little nervous about the first roundhouse or back kick to the heavy bag, I may hold off on that for a couple more months.
 
Hi @warriors42 interested to find your thread. I too have been involved in Martial Arts, fourth Dan in Soo Bahk Do Moo Duk Kwan and took up Filipino Martial Arts a few years ago competing for the first time at the Doce Pares festival in Cebu a couple of months before my operation. Naturally I am intending to continue training and teaching, and I would be interested in hearing how you are going. I am 67 years old and intend to keep up both styles forever. Both my styles are practiced widely all over the world so there is plenty of excitement, travel, meeting new friends apart from the extraordinary spiritual, mental and physical health benefits. As for technique I will be happy with whatever I can manage. In any case due to the last few years deterioration of both knees from Osteoarthritis I doubt if my kicking could be worse than what it was! Good luck.


Bilateral TKR Surgery dates right knee 8 Oct 2014, left knee 27 Oct 2014
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom