TKR 12 months and Strong

@Kiwigirl62 I've really got a lot out of reading your recovery thread! I'm on a transatlantic cruise right now and I will be home on the 18th November. My RTKR is scheduled for 20th November, just two days after we get home! I hope to have as positive an experience as you have had. Thanks for posting
 
Yay for having a good return to work. Just watch your energy because it still might be a little off. It sounds like your sensible approach to recovery is paying big dividends!
 
@grandma chris , thanks, it is so easy to forget some things an i get a lot out reading recoveries so though good for me to journal......good luck for next week, look forward to tracking you..:heehee:

@Mutti3 , thanks yes i am hopeful, although i can understand he didn't want to commit as my pre-op ROM was about 160/0....he was very surprised at the flex i still kept with bow legs an bone on bone.. ......but was starting to decline rapidly still. .......who cares if i never sit on my heels, no desire:rotfl:
 
In been always able to sit on my heels, preopertive and postoperative. In the early days I was concerned like everyone else regarding range of motion. A year later, I don’t even think about knees!
 
8 week update
Yeehaa finally got here :spin::martini:
So ROM today measured same, not surprise me as i had been up on feet and back at work for 7hrs prior to measure, BUT is great upon waking - wait for it - taada.....i can see my kneecap and 2 legs starting to look similar:egypdance:...haha til i get up an start the day. Still cannot say that leg feels normal but can at least see that one day i may.

Feels good to do extension stretch and movement is getting more freerer (is than even a word?) each day. They did some baselines tests at PT today (only been going for bout 4-5weeks :rotfl:)

Did a walk over 6mins and discovered my pace is 3.5km per hour. :walking: Focusing on balance stuff, on wobbly thingy, knee good but wow can feel the muscles being used (in a good way).

So back at work this week. ....going really well but exercises miss out. Found a set of stairs that I'll pop down to do each day and try to do a couple leg muscle stuff- need to put reminder in my work calendar.

Also starting to incorporate swimming once a week. Good thing is i have got fairly good sleep since going back. First day my brain died at 3pm:yawn:

Only hassles i continue to experience is the IT band, abductors, tendons etc in leg and butt- still all stretching but varying degrees of relief through the day with stretches an massage roller :badspidy:

Anyway to date all is going well so no compliants and cant wait to be 12 weeks. .
Not wishing my life away just saying:yes!:
 
:wow::wow::wow:This is awesome!! I’m 9 weeks and going back to work in 10 days :scary:and really worried about of all things tackling the stairway I must hustle up and down all day. I attend deliveries (yup births!) of critical infants and can only get there by a stairway. So I love how you pop over to the stairway for exercise!! Let me know how you feel after going up and down reciprocally a few times?? You’re my hero!
 
@andpeaches , oh gosh you have maybe got the wrong impression. I only have done once last week and have since decided to start them them daily maybe twice a day as i dont have stairs to use in my home.

I go upstairs ok slow without the rail
but down is still my killer- first time I tried down foot over foot i gripped the rail TIGHTLY :hairpulling:with both hands
It depends on the depth of the stairs for going down cause i get big pull in my groin.
I dont envy you having to do as part if your job, especially if the pressure is on to be in a hurry. :yikes:

But if i dont try i wont get better, but will let you know next week how i go after doing 4 days in a row if theres improvement or :censored:pain
 
@Kiwigirl62 were you stiff after working? My knee is feeling better today but it’s a little stiff still since work. I have 3 full days next week. :yikes: I’m sure I’ll be taking it easy the next couple weekends. I put my recumbent bike together today...it’s been here since Tuesday :heehee: I can make full rotations but I look like weirdo because my knees go out to make it all the way around! Hahahahah. So I’ll be rocking back and forth until my legs will go correctly on the darn thing!

Hope your weekend is amazing!

Melanie
 
@flsungirl, no extra stiffness -i only do 4x8hrs days (thats including 30min lunch break).
My work is a mix of walking and sitting so i can control.....i also elvate an ice at lunch break. :ice:
11hrs on your feet is huge. :groan:And not icing like you used to will impact. It will increase you fitness and strength but really encourage lots of ice and elevation as you get through next couple weeks. Are your work days back to back?

One day try yr bike :biking:just after waking up........soooo much easier:) :-) (: - i fly around in the morning, no stretching needed BUT a different story at the end of the day.....so swelling makes huge difference. :doh:
Love when i wake up and have very gentle move in bed...bending is easy and no swelling and rested...is close to a 'normal' feeling :egypdance:.......THEN i put my feet on the floor and do a little test walk to see what tendons etc are going to be my problem for the day and then the 'normal' LEAVES for the day.:shrug:

some days have been not bad but then the next 2 are not as great....frustrating:beg: but sooo glad im not a newby.:loveshwr:

Good weekend...Saturday-went drinking/early dinner:cheers: with a friend in popular suburb close by. Had more drinks than normal so no panadol last night. Woke at 2am.......note to self limit drinks...haha.
Sunday - been for a slow 60min walk in sun and off to another friends for dinner-we are planning to walk the 'coast to coast' in UK aug 2019 (300 km walk).
:walking::walking:
As its 11months post op for me i have kept distances each day limited to around 18-20km-BUT 1st 5 days are hugh inclines/declines -i can always catch trsnsport if need to. So I'll be carefully planning a steady fitness plan from Jan
Hope you reast up well for this coming work week:sleeep::ice::console2:
Suzanne
 
@Kiwigirl62 i do work back to back days. My knee has been super stiff all weekend but much better today. Before surgery my knee was about 70 degrees. I measure the difference with my other knee because they were the same prior to replacement. I’m not sure if I’ll get much more than 102 but time will tell. I think riding the recumbent bike will increase flexion because it was pretty good when I used to ride my bike.

My work mate reminds me to take time and ice at work. Unfortunately the office was a mess and I’m still working on getting things back to how they should be! I work Monday thru Wednesday this week and hope it’s easier :scary:

Im going to try your suggestion and pedal in the morning. So proud of myself for putting the dang thing together yesterday :yahoo:

We have come so far since the early days:wow: I’m not 100% but I’m not missing that nasty pain in righty. Now lefty is another story but hoping as time progresses he won’t be carrying the extra slack. Then he needs to behave until he can be fixed....next year....way later next year :rotfl:


Sounds like you had a fabulous weekend! Mine has been ice and elevation so I’ll live vicariously through your adventures :heehee: Here’s to another week post op :cheers:

Melanie
 
@Kiwigirl62 Thanks for letting me know about how you’re tackling the stairs. My home is 2 stories and since I’m home alone all day I find myself having to go up and down 13 stairs about 3-5 x day. My knee stiffens and swells up every time I go up and down even just once, it’s my biggest hurdle to get through especially knowing I have to do them at work. Somehow I feel better knowing Im not alone at 9 weeks facing those g-dam stairs. Thank you!! We will conquer those stairs! :walking:
 
9 week update
Well I've been back at work 2 weeks now (only 3.5 days as take .5 off for PT) Got to use my sick somehow....had 688 hours and used about 250 with the tkr. Our office closes in 12 months so can't take it with me. Start 5 days next week.

Work is fine....office job so a good mix of standing, walking and sitting which i can control. Not really doing any exercises mon -wed as no time. I ice at lunch time. Stupid me was under a false illusion that at beg of this week I'd incorporate stairs before and after work as building has a good set in foyer. :headbang: Just a bit 'gun ho' and did foot over foot on set of 15....but did 4 up and 4 down twice that day then 3 x next morning.....back to ODIC tues night through to today...coming good.:praying:

So under my desk i pushed a filing cabinet and elevated and iced 3 x day at work plus panadol during day....could kick myself....its the downstairs part. :groan: But note to self back to slow and steady. So will have quiet weekend doing just walks, exercycle and stretches.

Not a lot more to report....gait is better but need to work extension....its a little tight.

Suzanne
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom