TKR 12 months and Strong

I'm glad you snapped back so quickly! Most don't You are doing great!
 
Sounds like you added a reasonable amount of activity but your knee wasn’t thrilled with it. The fact that it bounced back so quickly says that it was reasonable. Good plan to rest today
 
6 week update
Cannot believe i am here at 6 weeks -seems so long yet so fast!
ROM 120/+3.
Meds 2 x panadol at night (occasionally may do a second dose in day but now mostly just one)
Exercises -same as previously but now PT focusing on strength-she happy with me so now finished 1-1 and doing group class 1 x weekly for 6 weeks-she suggested we start with resistance on exercycle as ROM will contine fine on its own
More steady without cane on the street-its actually a hassle but like public to give ne a wide berth in the street...haha.
I have niece here fron NZ for a week.
We've spent last 2 days doing lots of walking (clothes shopping). So i share the bench seat outside the shops in mall with the blokes.
My fit bit thingy on watch tells me I've done around 8-9kms each day.
Muscles throughout legs/feet each day been sore as BUT have woken in mornings to them being ok with no adverse affect to knee.
But going to give her instructions to do her own solo trip today.
Feel i want a rest day for them and also just to do the exercises.
Am able to drive from tomorrow so that will eliminate half the walking going forward while she is here - don't want to hit the ODIC.
Am pleased they've been OK those 2 days so as advisors here have said walking is best exercise(did no other leg exercises those days)
Plan to start going to walk in pool from next week, also be good to test a few swimming laps for cardio.
All in all feeling OK with where i am today at least.
Back at work in 10 days -relaxed office environment that supports me so should be OK
 
Walking is really good for you as long as you don't overdo it. It's good to take a break the next day after having an overly active day.
 
7 week update
Wow I am getting used to this lifestyle of not working, but sadly only 3 more days and I'm back to work.
ROM 125/+3
Meds-same 2 x panadol at night, occasionally take in the morning as leg can be achey if I've moved a bit at night.
Flex and extension feels a little more free each day.
Walked huge amount with visitor here last week......if i never see another clothes shop I'll be happy.:bored:
Exercises just progress each week with more strength ones and I still continue with the exercycle 2 x 15 each day-frees up the knee. :biking:
Continue to ice 3 x 45mins each day....oh how i love that down time and catching up on forum goings on.:console2:
Physio is now group session once a week -will continue another 5 times.........a side note, she said to me as i left "we'll do deep squats next week" .....me thinks "i dont think I'll be doing that".....can't think of any reason i need to do yet except to clean shower. ......my daughter can continue that.:fingersx:
Main thing I've been dealing with these last 3-4 days is tight IT band, abductors and pain in hip/butt. So lots stretches and i carry with me a small hand roller for massaging. Has abated today so hopefully it is on the decline.:beg:
But i have learnt on this journey that something else will replace it in the niggle department.
All in all am feeling good...although sometimes I wonder when will I have a normal leg that doesn't want to party at night....sorry not whinging as I know that I am still early days.....roll on another 6 weeks and it'll be xmas...
 
@Jockette what i really mean by that is my new knee will be another 6 weeks older and more healed, plus summer in Australia, plus public holidays off work
:yes!:
 
Yes, but, only 6 weeks left to be ready for Christmas! I hadn’t thought about it being only 6 weeks away!!!!
 
Kiwi summer for you winter for us. Fortunately I will be heading for our winter home where it’s nice and warm, and no snow. I will be moving up on 4 full months with new knee ,Christmas time, good thing , but getting closer to repeating this all over again next April, so mixed feelings. Can only say if right knee goes as good as my left one so far, it will be a great feeling to put years of knee pain behind me.
 
:yahoo:So happy to hear you’re doing well. I’m having less hip weirdness and the tight band doesn’t stick around as long. Woo hoo! I guess when we go back to work things should hopefully continue to normalize. May there be
no more added niggles :praying:

Melanie
 
@Softtail , I can't imagine having a second one looming and people that do 2 at once are my heros. :wow:
My other knee is ok, well a little squeaky and a little worn cause i left the bad one for too long, but am really mindful of looking after it - hopeful for about 6-8 yrs ar least.:fingersx::fingersx::fingersx:
@flsungirl thanks and yes hip and IT are starting to be less thank goodness......getting so over it:badspidy:...just want to experience moments when i am not aware of my leg......waiting for 'normal' which seems to be 12-14 weeks.
Still I've got to say that 4-5 weeks of not sleeping was the worse......really feel for newbies
I look forward to hearing your reports of back to work:walking:
 
Oh my @Kiwigirl62 ! I’m thankful we’re past the newbie stage. My hip feels so much better today. But that tight, tight band in the middle of my knee and superior to my knee cap is another story. It does loosen at times but then other times it feels like it might split open! I know that won’t happen but it’s not pleasant!

I’ve been on amazon and thinking about purchasing a recumbent bike. I’m going back and forth with it cause I start work next week. I’m sure I’ll be visiting the ODIC next week :dancy: but I’ll cross that bridge when I get there.

My left knee needs to be done as well. I’m surprised it didn’t act up since it’s had to be the strong one for awhile. I’m good with it behaving...at least it didn’t quit on me during the recovery!

I agree that the insomnia was THE WORST! Thankful that part is over. I have taken Advil PM before bed if it’s acting a little wonky. I never want to experience that part again!

Good luck at work and hope to hear how well you do:loveshwr:

Melanie :mooncat:
 
@flsungirl , i purchased a cheap exercycle pre surgery and best thing i did, on it 2 x daily, keeps knee bending really well. Just got back from 3km walk and note to self is remember to stop and do a good knee bend every 15mins.
I still take 2 x panadol at night -not for pain but help relax my legs so i sleep........bit scared if i stop i won't sleep again but will have to try without shortly. Back on tummeric for inflammation, so that will kick in shortly - thats all i took to manage knee pre-op
Knee is good but tendons in groin :blackcloud:. Icing knee and heat pack on groin....haha. Always a new niggle, got a bit of sitting today at PC doing revisions on a H&S manual for a friend, but gonna stop at 2pm and go to tbe local pool before the school kids start lessons-first time in water and looking forward to it. Other than walking in pool want to test how knee affected by swimming......my cardio is shot.....need to get some puff happening in my life....:swim:
 
I started doing pre op exercises 2 months prior to surgery. I’m positive I’d not be where I am now without those. I’ll be happy with a functional knee...it’s been so long since I’ve had that. I had to cut back on ibuprofen 800 because it was messing my stomach up. I have minor discomfort compared to presurgery. I don’t miss that constant debilitating pain!

I am taking some ice packs to work tomorrow so they will be ready when I start back next week. Also going to get my flu shot and an XR of my hip while I’m there!

I think I will get the recumbent bike, it can’t hurt. I used to bike a lot but stopped a few years ago. We’ll see how that goes :bicycle2:

Swimming should be grand. My pool isn’t really long enough to do laps. Plus it’s too cold for me right now. I just can’t seem to stay warm and my feet are always freezing. Funny, I used to be hot all the time :heehee: Ahhh the joys of getting older! Enjoy your swim :swim: hope it’s fabulous
 
So had first pool session 2 days ago, frlt great, just exercises the i would do at PT and walking on pool. Swam a few lengths just dragging tkr leg behind me and felt good. Leg been good since do will incorporate once week going forward. :swim:

Finally entered real life today an went to a live music gig. Had seats, thank goodness. OK to bop along sitting but some songs just felt the urge to stand (a few helped). :yahoo:

Its really hard to get a dance move happening from just upper body :rotfl:

So didnt push it cause tomorrow is a new day day. Home after dinner out to ice as per normal. knee feels good to date-no aches -1st day work tomorrow
 
Hi everyone, it seems like everyone is doing well with the occasional setbacks, so well done!I am surprised that our system in Australia does not seem to be as full on as UK or US as far a measuring progress etc. it is great to hear of the little victories you are all having! I have pulled right back this week and surprise surprise my knee feel so much better! It’s just so hard to not do stuff! Anyway thinking of you all!!
 
@debbo14 , yes its hard to get your head around but "less is more". Took me about 2-3 weeks of stalking this forum before i gor it... that i couldn't exercise my way out!

It's a fine line not to do to much each day. Incremental steps each day sees progress each week. My major focus was always to keep swelling down well and also to get the elusive sleep at night.

Just started work today and breezed through....office environment but really was like a quiet day for my knee compared to some of my sick leave days.

Still go physio once a week but no pressure and i ask her to measure me. ...but as I've got further along I'm not actually worried re numbers as i feel will just get better. ..its definitely a lot freer each week. Love to get back what i had pre surgery (had really good ROM), but Doc doesn't think i will. ...we will see
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom