Guest viewing is limited

TKR 12 months and Strong

@CAB - you'll do fine - it sure is easy as it goes. I am now treating like when first walking - have restricted my self this week to every second day and only 10 mins up and down the street - takes longer to dress and haul my bike from the shed than it takes for the ride :rotfl:
 
I was really nervous before having my knees done @Kiwigirl62. I dislocated my foot on a bike back in 2011. 8 weeks in a wheelchair and 18 months to walk without pain!
Hasnt been my favourite pass time since.
I do enjoy the stationary bike atm, never thought id say that!
Will have to wait and see!
:biking:
 
I dislocated my foot on a bike back in 2011. 8 weeks in a wheelchair and 18 months to walk without pain!
That’s a long recovery! And your ankle wasn’t sawed and hammered like a knee replacement. And we expect to recover from knee replacement in a couple of months! This definitely puts some perspective on it!
 
3 Month Update (long post)
Yah finally now to counting months and not weeks. its been good to re-read the thread as I had forgotten the timeline of things plus when I think I should be doing more stuff I am reminded of how far I have come.
Walking is now much more 'smooth' most times. :yahoo:

I remember when I was first walking the tendons behind the knee really gave me grief and I felt like a new born colt on my legs. Now its hit and miss as to what they will feel like walking each day - often I now feel like a drunk person focusing on walking properly, and then the following will be smooth as. My watch tells me I do around 6km each day with daily activities, but that is with sitting etc in between. Over the Xmas period I want to do a flat 6 km hike in one go and Ill take poles incase I need. Stride is now stretching for better extension.:fingersx:

I have finished PT and work gets in the way of exercising daily - Im better in the morning than night but leave home at 7am for work. doing about 3 rides outside on my bike a week - but have relegated myself to around 15 - 20 mins just going up and down the street, its bumper and also practise dismount and take off. Starting to some strength work on quads and calves. Final PT measure (ROM) was 127 / +2. so a couple digits more than a month ago.... funny ROM seemed everything in the beginning but really could care less now as I can do everything I need to.:heehee:

My nemesis is still going foot over foot downstairs. Really don't care as I know time will help this. Can do upstairs fine (slowly) and have noticed huge improvement on the subway ramps - uphill is great but always has been but now downhill is finally good - huge improvement over the last 4 weeks to when I first started using them.:walking:

Driving is fine but recently done a few longer trips in the car around 90 mins each and the knee protests slightly the next day. I had been using a knee support a lot from the 6 week mark and have slowly been ditching it and hardly ever in the day now. I ditched it at night first but recently have it back for night only as my legs are rather active at night and I found I was waking with a slight ache due to the activity.:yay:

Have been without regular meds for a long time now but on occasion may take if my knee tells me 12 hours after some activity. Out of the blue the other afternoon my leg (IT band) had me nearly limping. Got home rested and seemed better but woke me up with knee pain and real good zingers and felt like nerve pain in my foot. So took that night and next day panadol and ibrufen. Wracked my brain but had done nothing out of the blue over the previous 2 days. Day and half later good as gold and walking is smoother than before....go figure, I just learnt with the tkr that there is sometimes no rhythm or reason for some things and given 24-48 hours it disappears. 3 steps forward and 1 back...why....just because:shrug:

I am flying to NZ in 3 weeks (4 hour flight then 1 hour flight) so I will be interested to see how that goes along with setting any alarms - will update in my 4 month post.

In the meantime hope everyone has a good Christmas break and may the healing continue
:tree lights:
 
Merry Christmas to you, too!!
:nativity::treestar:
 
@Kiwigirl62 that is amazing update and soooo positive! We are not far apart on dates and I see bits of me in your successes so thankyou for continuing to inspire me. :console2:

Wishing you safe travels and the merriest Christmas holiday!
:santa hug:
 
Wow, you go girl. I'm impressed. 6klm walk. Id love that. I'm looking forward to it.
Im still wondering how long my torn muscle takes to repair!
Hope you enjoyed Christmas and Happy new year to you.
 
Thanks @CAB its takes a day of nothing afterwards and i take my time. You have 2 knees to contend with. Just giving them a little test. Did a 4.5km walk xmas day in forest the descent was really slow and thought id maybe stuffed it but pulked up excellent the following day after rest. Then few days later ride my bike to work in the city....only bout 10kms but few ups and downs in the road -took bike home on train that night and again thought maybe too much....but pulled up OK next day.
So at this stage trying every second day to either do a walk or ride. Taking it "gingerly" at this stage......frustrating slow.
Remember you got 2knees to get moving
 
Yes thanks @Kiwigirl62 i will remember.
Have been off all pain meds since Christmas Day and mobic for nearly a week...but succumbed to a couple of panadol today.
I need to do something...without pain. Sit to stand is still painful with or without drugs. Pest!!
 
Thanks for replies and re meds I've been off for a while now ....but occasionally on panadol/ibrufen for the odd day if ive tried to go to much at something.....hmmm just brings me back into line. Downstairs is still my weakness, so using descending on ramps to build that one
 
4 month update
Gosh feel like not too much to report. All is well. Swelling is minimal an only ice occasionally at night. Flex is good, just gets freer every week. Extension is still not straight an stretched on my back at might is tight a little painful, but again on waking feels great.

Stairs-up is great. My nemesis going down - is finally conquered but only shallower ones. Muscles slowly building and often feel like I've had a huge gym workout. But again waking in morning is good and we do it all over again.
No meds taken.

No structured exercises at all but try to do something everyday mostly cycle or walk.
Cycle -can do a return trip to work now -40mins each way -doing 2 x week plus 1 day on weekend
Walking - on a non cycle day i walk from work through parks to a distance train stop. Usually bout 5km. On weekend do a 90 -100 min walk.
Thats been my routine for last couple weeks. On hols at moment so not doing hardly anything. Might step it up a level in feb when i return.

Took first plane trip -4hrs - good as gold. Must admit i was a little disappointed i never sets any bells of going through security.

Im off camping for 4 days at beach with sisters and families -bout 20 of us. I'm in the tent on the floor, so dont need any loo stops in the dark trying to rise from an airbed.

Only visited ODIC once over the last month. Cycled (return trips) to work the other week twice as normal but instead of allowing 2 days between only did with 1 walk day between. Also i have several inclines and i think without realising i pushed through some of them to hard
Hmmm just to teach myself a lesson
 
I'd love to go camping, but it's 27 degrees here. A bit too cold for me! Will you be OK getting up and down off of the floor of the tent? That would be harder for me than an airbed! Have a ball on your trip!
 
Thanks everyone, it will be interesting re airbed and a tent.....guessing it won't look pretty. ...hence nighties won't be invovled....have my mens boxer shorts packed....haha. But looking forward to spending time with my sisters and multiple nieces (all now in 30s -40s) will report back afterwards. The occasion is, son and his wife are renewing there vows on the beach after spending several years apart.
Temps expected 25 and sun with lows at night of 18
 
@Kiwigirl62
Love your thread. I am looking at TKR

I thought i read at one point in your thread you expected your TKR to last 8 years?

I am hearing 15 to 20 years ?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Back
Top Bottom