Guest viewing is limited

TKR 12 days in

@Garynewson65 would you say the first couple of weeks after your revision were similar to after the replacement? I’m facing a revision soon and am getting an understanding of what I might expect.
 
Hey Gary, I seen your post, I had a right knee revision and a left knee total replacement just before Halloween. Been about six weeks now and both knees feel good. The right knee with the revision was much less painful than the total knee replacement. You still have the incision pain to deal with but other than that my range of motion is back to close to 140° my left knee which had the total knee replacement is at approximately 135 with minimal pain and taking no pain meds.
 
@Garynewson65 would you say the first couple of weeks after your revision were similar to after the replacement? I’m facing a revision soon and am getting an understanding of what I might expect.
Hi. Feels much stronger than before. After 6 weeks already have 90+ ROM. Only had 90 2 years after 1st op. Pain is also less which is why I think I'm getting ahead of myself and doing to much.
 
Pain is also less which is why I think I'm getting ahead of myself and doing to much.
It can be hard to find the sweet spot between activity and the kind of rest you need to heal.
 
Happy Two Month Anniversary!
I hope you continue to do well and get back to all you love in the New Year. Best Wishes!
@Garynewson65
 
Hi
I posted back in March 2020 to say I had a left TKR and recieved some great advice. Unfortunately 2 weeks later the dreaded COVID lock downs happened, anyway, only did my own PT and the replacement didn't work, became loose and rattled. I then went private through work and had a revision in Oct 2022. Due to lack of movement I had a MUA in May 2023 and then an authoroscopy in Feb 2024 to remove scar tissue.
I'm now in a place where I still have the tight band, have a bend of 95 degrees and extension of +15 and have a constant limp. Nearly 4 years of pain and depression and for someone who was very active playing semi-pro football, cricket and golf, I now think I'm out of options as don't really want to go under the knife again. Looking for any great advice once again.
 
I am really sorry you have had such a poor result. I understand why you don't want any more surgery but I think you ought to try and get a second opinion from a new doctor to see what your options are.
I see you are in the UK. If you are in/ near London then I would highly recommend my surgeon Mr Alex Liddle. He is NHS at Charing X and private at Charing X or King Edward's. He is a senior lecturer at Imperial College medical school and did an amazing job of straightening my 20 degree valgus knee with just a partial knee replacement. He is not just a really good surgeon but he is a great communicator and I would trust his judgement. I recommended him to a friend and he advised conservative treatment- so not someone who just pushes surgery with private patients.
Some people are told they can't have MRIs after TKR but there are now techniques which can adjust for the metal artefact effects. In your place I would want an MRI to see what the issues are.
Good luck!
 
Many thanks for the reply. Unfortunately I live in aberdeen, couldn't really get any further away from London, but will certainly look to get a second opinion.:thankyou:
 
Hi Gary.
This is most unfortunate!
We definitely recommend getting a second opinion from a consultant totally separate from the professional practice and hospital you have used.
If you can provide the dates of your MUA and arthroscopy, we will update your signature.
 
Ugh, what a miserable journey you’ve had. It seems you are only 1.5-2 months post op? (Though it’s been years of recoveries). My extension was about only 10-15 at that point. I’m about 5 now - I’m pretty diligent about frequent gentle stretching multiple times per day. Did the surgeon take pictures of how much bend and straightening you got during the arthroscopy? I am curious if your surgeries got you straighter. I am having arthroscopy for issues of a kneecap that is glued down by scar and grinds badly. But I am hoping the surgery will have the added bonus to help me get the final few degrees back by removing extra material that gets pinched during extension. I bet your swelling is limiting the straightening.
 
Hi Gary.
This is most unfortunate!
We definitely recommend getting a second opinion from a consultant totally separate from the professional practice and hospital you have used.
If you can provide the dates of your MUA and arthroscopy, we will update your signature.
Hi
10th May 2023 for MUA and 19th Feb 2024 for arthroscopy.
 
Ugh, what a miserable journey you’ve had. It seems you are only 1.5-2 months post op? (Though it’s been years of recoveries). My extension was about only 10-15 at that point. I’m about 5 now - I’m pretty diligent about frequent gentle stretching multiple times per day. Did the surgeon take pictures of how much bend and straightening you got during the arthroscopy? I am curious if your surgeries got you straighter. I am having arthroscopy for issues of a kneecap that is glued down by scar and grinds badly. But I am hoping the surgery will have the added bonus to help me get the final few degrees back by removing extra material that gets pinched during extension. I bet your swelling is limiting the straightening.
Hi
Under the MUA the Doc got 110 and zero extension but slowly seemed to loose it. Arthroscopy cleared out "loads of scar tissue" Docs words and seemed great for about 5 days then slowly back to normal again. Physio seems to think I just need to keep going with the exercises and he believes I will see improvement in another 6 - 12 months. I'm not so sure....
 
No pain at all when sat still. Pain if I bend it over 90 degrees and then pain in the knee cap when I straighten again. Still swollen and constantly warm although no infection and still stiff and tight band.
 
Hello @Garynewson65
You'll notice that I have merged your three threads together, as it's best if members in recovery only have one thread. We find it much easier for everyone.
This is because:
  • That way, you have all your information in one place. This makes it easier for others to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you start new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.

Please keep all your questions and updates on this thread. We won't miss your new question as, between us, the staff read all new posts each day.
If you need an urgent response to a question, tag a member of staff.
Tagging other members and answering tags

If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts?

A helpful hint - Many members have found it useful to bookmark their thread so they don't lose it.
 
Would you please give us the exact dates of your 2 recent procedures? We need these dates to be able to add you to the appropriate team thread. Thank you.
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom