Guest viewing is limited

THR 11 weeks since my LTHR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cheers for this , yes it sure is a long road , and I was hoping that I'd be pretty much back to normal after 3 months but this is not the case , I'm still struggling , pain on getting up is still an issue , discomfort and ongoing stiffness , I never understand when some people say oh my friend was jogging after 2 weeks ! It just dosnt happen like that, I'm spending time trying to retrain my alignment which has been abnormal for years prior to surgery , now I have a functional new hip I have to retrain all my left hip muscles to rotate and bend normally , sonething I never had , so it's a whole new ball game for me , and the ongoing fear of problems occurring , it's a long Journey ahead that's for sure , I'm hoping that by 9 months I'll start to see the benefits xx


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Kettlebell queen I want to weigh in on this thread, too! I am over 4 months post op, still dealing with thigh pain when I get up and after walking just very short distances. It seems I can't do much without having pain and I miss being able to workout like I did before surgery. I have backed off on exercise and haven't done much more than walk for the last month. I am frustrated, too, feeling like I should be further along. But, I am beginning to think this is "normal" for some. I fell hard three weeks ago on my new hip, but seem to have survived.......after being sore and black and blue for several days. I'm sure it set me back a bit in my recovery, too. I will follow your progress and hope you see some relief soon. I'm hoping by 6 months post op I will be seeing some good progress, but who knows?
 
Yes I'm very very frustrated , on Friday will be exactly 7 months since THR and I really did not think that I would still be in pain at this point , granted my surgery had more complications than normal in that I had a severe case of SUFE which left me with grossly abnormal rotation since the age of 11, I have never been able to ride a bike , and climbing stairs was a hassle ,now with a new hip and theoretically full rotation, this isn't the case as yet , my surgeon tells me it will be a long time before my muscles and tendons will stretch back to how they should be and my rotation may never be 100% , I expect a long road ahead but I didn't think I'd still have such pain in standing , walking , sitting etc , I can do weights with a barbell but I have to be SO CAREFUL , I'm fed up really , anxious and depressed with it all , my hip was completely knackered and a THR was my only option , but only God knows if I'll ever be free of pain , I know @alexthecat does weights , I so wish I could get to that level of training without creating a catastrophe or dislocating my hip .


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Kettlebell queen When was your surgery? Your signature says 7 March. That would only be 5 month ago. Is that correct?
Are you being careful when lifting because it hurts or because you are worried about dislocation? I'm not an expert, but I would think most weights would be okay as long as you don't do deep squats. I am back lifting again, using lighter weights than before surgery and trying to build my strength back up. When I squat, I only go down a little way instead do a deep squat. I can still feel it. I would think you don't have to worry about dislocation so much at this point in your recovery. I know when I try to do so anything my hip doesn't like, it feels funny, so I back off or take it really slow, like putting my foot on my opposite knee for a stretch....my new hip doesn't like that one very much!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Yes my surgery was march 7th 2014 so it's pretty much 5 months , my leg seems to hurt a lot most days , I walk round the shops quite a bit and it gets tired quite quickly ,some days when I lift it hurts more than others , it feels like heavy muscle pain , I had a scare recently whereby my surgeon thought id loosend the implant stem , but X-rays show bone growth so all was fine , my hip is Uncemented and apparantly it takes longer to heal than cemented , this I think is what worries me plus the risk of dislocation , I actually feel ok when I deadlift and squat but I don't go too low , firstly because I can't ( my alignment is still off kilter) and I don't want to risk dislocation , I use a 12 kilo ladies Olympic barbell to train, doing mainly a barbell complex, once a week I will add 10 kilo to make it 22 k, I train 3 tines a week for 50 mins each time , but I'm just wondering how long before I'm free of pain , especially immediately on getting up, it hurts for a good 40 seconds and I limp badly , is this normal for 5 months ?


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
It sounds like you are doing good with the weights. That's about what I am doing right now, increasing slowly. I used to be able to lift much more, but I have lost so much of my strength since my surgery from not working out for so long. I still have the thigh pain when I get up too. Sometimes it gets better after I walk a bit and sometimes it doesn't. I don't know how normal it is, but it happens to some people. Unfortunately, we are some people! My surgeon also looked at my X-ray to check for stem loosening at my 3 month check up because of the pain I was having, but my X-rays looked good. Just these last few days I have had a little less pain. But, that has happened before and then it comes back. I really think we just need to be patient, but it's so hard, isn't it? I think that a lot of people are pain free soon after surgery and we read their stories and get bummed out because we aren't pain free yet. I have two friends who had surgery after me and they say they have no pain now. That's not my experience!
 
Yes you sound very similar to me actually , and I also wonder how some people seem as if by magic , to be back to normal within a few weeks, saying it's like a miracle , well it ain't no miracle for me, or you ! My physiotherapist says I'm doing ok but he can't say when the pain will go , I've been putting off my surgery for two years when eventually it got to the point where I couldn't walk, bone on bone , and my knee was starting to give way, now with a new hip the arthritis has gone but I'm certainly not pain free , I'm glad both my legs are now the same lenght and I can rotate slightly more than before , I just hope this dosnt continue or I'll end up nuts !


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I think each story is different. No one truly knows anyone else's circumstances prior to surgery. I dealt with progressive decompensation for 7 years. I can't expect my body to just go back 7 years in 3 weeks. LOL I do anticipate some discomfort and stiffness and some hard work ahead of me. But I believe my body will respond and it will be a miracle as it happens. I'm so grateful for another chance to walk, play, work, sleep and not suffer anymore.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Yes I agree we all have different circumstances , I'm just fed up with still being In pain 5 months later , from getting up from a chair it really hurts until I get going, each and every time, I can't just get up and walk , I'm really looking forward to the day when I can


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
If you are hurting that bad, why are you working out so insanely hard? :what: I mean, I am one for pushing it - I always do. I am 3 weeks out and rode the bike 16 miles 2 days ago...but why the heck are you killing yourself with squats and deadlifts if you are in such severe pain? Sounds to me like you need to concentrate more on stretches and slow steady movements to loosen those muscles. .
 
My surgeon knows my training pattern and is ok with it , I'm doing squats to retrain my alignment which is terribly off kilter , the pain I'm having I doubt is related to my lifting even though I only do 3 sessions a week , the pain hasn't really ever gone since day one , way before I got back into training , I'm assuming it's all the muscles that hadnt been activated for over 30 years and now finally are being made to work , I've taken two weeks off from training but it hasn't made any difference to the pain . My X-rays show to be fine , so I don't know why I'm still struggling , when I squat I don't go past 90% angle , maybe I'm doing too much walking , going round shops etc, my physio said my activity levels are fine at this stage , don't know why it's taking so long to improve


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
  • Friendly
Reactions: IMs
Okay - I was going to suggest taking 2 weeks off - but if you have done that, then I don't know. I really don't think you can do "too much walking" though...to me that is the movement (along with cycling) that give me the most improvement.
 
I hate having to take time off , it's been so frustrating up to this point , I'm just worried that I haven't caused any damage like stem loosening or any other disasters, my surgeon and physio both say it's ok to do as I am , train x 3 weekly for 50 mins or so , I'm thinking it's because my leg had fused abnormally as a result of childhood SUFE which now has to readjust now I have a normal hip joint , is it usual to be still struggling by 5 months ?


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I'm responding to a tag, but I really can't say much beyond what others have already said. When your surgeon says that you can return to exercise, he is speaking only from the perspective of your implant. The carpentry job that he did will tolerate increased activity.

Soft tissue is complex and complete recovery can take up to a year or more. By pushing too hard in the early months of recovery and trying to exercise past discomfort, you risk developing chronic pain. Better to nip this in the bud now than live with it for the rest of your life. Continuing to exercise is not a solution to pain caused by exercise.

My recommendation would be to take a break from all recreational exercise for one month. If your pain is completely gone after that time, try a very gradual increase in activity. If you're still in pain, then continue resting. It may take a few months. Soft tissue damage is notoriously slow to heal.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
 
I'm responding to a tag, but I really can't say much beyond what others have already said. When your surgeon says that you can return to exercise, he is speaking only from the perspective of your implant. The carpentry job that he did will tolerate increased activity.

Soft tissue is complex and complete recovery can take up to a year or more. By pushing too hard in the early months of recovery and trying to exercise past discomfort, you risk developing chronic pain. Better to nip this in the bud now than live with it for the rest of your life. Continuing to exercise is not a solution to pain caused by exercise.

My recommendation would be to take a break from all recreational exercise for one month. If your pain is completely gone after that time, try a very gradual increase in activity. If you're still in pain, then continue resting. It may take a few months. Soft tissue damage is notoriously slow to heal.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
Thankyou alexthecat , what you say makes perfect sense , I'm going to back off and see how I feel in a few weeks , It's so frustrating as I've been so active for years , I was worried that I'd damaged the implant in some way, what with pins n needles etc , thank you for your advice , much appreciated


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I am 5 months post op from an Uncemented ceramic on ceramic total hip replacement , I noticed a clunking of the joint a few weeks later while sat down and moving my knees together ,my surgeon said this was nothing to worry about, and so I forgot about it , but the past couple of weeks I've noticed a mild quietish clicking sound In the implant , if I'm sat down and swivel the left heel of my foot on the floor I can feel two or 3 clicks , I'm worried that something is wrong , if ive damaged it in some way through weight training etc , my surgeon is happy with the level of activity I'm doing so far , has anyone else experienced this ?


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi,
A moderator will be along soon to move your post to hip post op, where your questions can be answered.
 
[Bonesmart.org] 11 weeks since my LTHR
your last post from the Knee Replacement Recovery forum to the Hip Replacement Recovery forum, @Kettlebell queen.

[Bonesmart.org] 11 weeks since my LTHR
You may notice that I have merged your two threads. We like to keep our members' recovery posts all in a single thread. That way it's easy for us to go back and read your history before responding to a question or concern. In addition, the thread becomes a journal of your recovery for those who come along later and want to read about you. So, please post in this thread from now on when you want to give an update or ask a question. If you feel you need immediate response and want to be sure you get it, just tag an admin, mod, or other member so they'll receive a notification.

If you decide you'd like a different thread title at any point, you can change it using the Thread Tools button at the top right of the page or just post what you want here and we'll get it changed for you. THANKS!


If you are having a problem locating your thread, here is a link with how to do it: How can I find my threads and posts?
 
I am 5 months post op from an Uncemented ceramic on ceramic total hip replacement , I noticed a clunking of the joint a few weeks later while sat down and moving my knees together ,my surgeon said this was nothing to worry about, and so I forgot about it , but the past couple of weeks I've noticed a mild quietish clicking sound In the implant , if I'm sat down and swivel the left heel of my foot on the floor I can feel two or 3 clicks , I'm worried that something is wrong , if ive damaged it in some way through weight training etc , my surgeon is happy with the level of activity I'm doing so far , has anyone else experienced this ?




Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom