THR 11 weeks since my LTHR

Status
Not open for further replies.
At this point I do very little weight lifting but I do a little. December will be 1 year for me. I have found an elliptical machine to be the best low impact workout for me. I usually spend about 20 minutes a night on one. I do it 5 nights a week and take the weekends off. I don't suggest you dive into at that depth but find what works for you best. also remember slow progress is better than no progress.

I'm only training twice a week now for about 45 mins a session , it's almost 9 months now since my THR , today I had a fright when I was deadlifting, I use big plates on the barbell which prevent me from bending too low , with a max weight of 32 kilos, on lowering the weight I heared a huge squeak , like a loud creaky squeak coming from the joint, this is the second time it's happened, only when lowering the barbell, walking is fine, does anyone else experience this ? Should I be worried ? @alexthecat


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
I was a paramedic for years and the term deadlifting meant something totally different. Lol we did body hauls to the morgue pretty often. Mine has never made a loud noise but even 2 weeks from my 1 year anniversary I have pain when I over do it. Keep in mind my hip replacement was not due to degenerative issues but from trauma. My Doctor tells me that mine could hurt up to 18 months or even could hurt forever. Mine wasn't so much a pain issue( although the pain was huremdous) as much as it was that hip grew back crooked and would spontaneously dislocate. When I just stay home I get pretty stiff but have little pain. When I am active I am sore but I have a greater range of motion. I used to be a huge deer and duck hunter but know I just squirrel hunt. I use my iPhone with a pedometer apt to see how far I walk. Today I walked over three miles. Some say I am a little crazy ( not to far from the truth) but I have to stay active and being in the woods alone with God is my meditation and the squirrels are my entertainment and dinner.
 
I was a paramedic for years and the term deadlifting meant something totally different. Lol we did body hauls to the morgue pretty often. Mine has never made a loud noise but even 2 weeks from my 1 year anniversary I have pain when I over do it. Keep in mind my hip replacement was not due to degenerative issues but from trauma. My Doctor tells me that mine could hurt up to 18 months or even could hurt forever. Mine wasn't so much a pain issue( although the pain was huremdous) as much as it was that hip grew back crooked and would spontaneously dislocate. When I just stay home I get pretty stiff but have little pain. When I am active I am sore but I have a greater range of motion. I used to be a huge deer and duck hunter but know I just squirrel hunt. I use my iPhone with a pedometer apt to see how far I walk. Today I walked over three miles. Some say I am a little crazy ( not to far from the truth) but I have to stay active and being in the woods alone with God is my meditation and the squirrels are my entertainment and dinner.
Wow, your doc says 18 months or forever? Holy Mary, that's bad, I still have a lot of pain and I think it's cos I had a hip deformity in childhood ( SUFE) which meant that I had severe muscle and tendon damage before I had the THR and now I have better range of movement it's almost like the muscles refuse to work, I'm being referred back for physiotherapy and electric muscle stimulation therapy in the hope of waking up the muscles on that side, I'm so frustrated that I can't lift the weights I used to , I seem to be in more pain over the last few weeks, I've emailed my surgeon but he hasn't answered me yet, I have now modified my dead lifts and do he Romanian deadlift where I keep the legs straight as opposed to the traditional deadlift which is where I heard that almighty creak in the hip, like a door handle in a haunted mansion, I just hope I haven't caused any damage , I'm walking more now with my dogs and it proper hurts if I walk too far, so many people say that since their THR eye have no pain and it's great,, well I sure am not one of them , after 9 months I'm still in pain, I'm guessing I have serious soft tissue damage which I've no idea if this will ever improve, do you have ceramic on ceramic ? As apparantly it's common for the ceramic ball to squeak on the cup liner, but mine on,y happeened during exercise , twice, but really loud, proper freaked me out, just hoping I've not botched anything up, what restrictions has your surgeon given to you ?


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Kettlebell queen -I would be inclined to stop any gym exercise that is causing you pain. Even at 9 months post surgery you are still recovering - have you read this article :)

Slow and steady and remembering that recovery from a joint replacement can be a marathon and not a sprint gives one permission to recover in one's own timeframe :)

The following is a link to an article which provides the current science regarding the healing beneath and around the implant and approximate timeframes for the healing phases and processes and the relevant nutritional information for each phase.

Healing Phases & Nutrition
 
Cheers for the article , I've read or and it makes sense, I've also managed to loose some weight which I'm happy about , but I've noticed over the past couple of months or so, a slight squeaking sound on bending , just if I'm feeding my dogs or looking in a low cupboard , on straightening up I hear a quietish squeak, doesn't hurt al all, and it's not every time I bend, just randomly, happened twice today, whereas I can go days without hearing any, Is this normal ? It's always in the same action of straightening up from a bended position, it's almost a year now since my THR,


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
I am up to 30 minutes a night now on an elliptical and I can do some lower body weights but I am very careful with what I do because I still have limited ROM in my knee. I do nothing that is high impact because I want my hip to last. I don't remember the name of the hip they gave me but my physician says for someone with a low impact life it could last for up to 25 years. I had strongly considered for a while going back to nursing school but the more I think about it the more I have decided I might go to medical school. It would take me 4 years to get my RN and then I would have to work for 2-3 years before I could go to nurse practitioner school that takes another 24-30 months. Either way I have a grant for school under vocational rehabilitation and LSU-New Orleans has a program that works with disabled people who want to be doctors. So here goes nothing. I hope you get to feeling better soon.
 
Have you ever experienced squeaking ? I've read up on the internet and it says it's common in taller younger patients, weird thing is it's only started after 9 months after my THR and is seen on ceramic on ceramic, happens only when I bend over, sometimes up to 15 times a day, other times less, some days not at all, is this normal ?


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi everyone, today I have had my 21 month check up after my total left hip replacement , my X-rays are fine, I still have pain but my surgeon thinks it's because of previous surgeries on the hip during childhood and ther will be muscle damage / scarring, I am very much into resistance training and my surgeon suggested I don't go heavier than 30 kilos on a regular basis, he said that over time there may be loosening of the metal stem implant which could loosen from the bone, this kind of scared me a bit, as I thought dislocation was the Only issue to worry about , I want to continue with my fitness programmes of X 3 weekly, does anyone else have these concerns?


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
my surgeon suggested I don't go heavier than 30 kilos on a regular basis
I would tend to agree with your OS. Heavy lifting is always a bit difficult post THR. But continually doing this several times a week may cause wear and tear. Many of our members had to adjust their fitness programmes slightly such as no longer running on cement or avoiding a particular yoga pose.
 
@Kettlebell queen prior to my surgery I ran 3-6 miles a day. I had a major accident and broke 24 bones in it. I managed the first 5 years with a pin in my hip but eventually had to have it replaced due to spontaneous dislocation. Don't lose your passion for good health. Every time I get up over 200 lbs I start having problems with hip pain. You just need to adjust your workout schedule to something a little more low impact. I do the elliptical every morning and afternoon. I still do some weights but I do small weights with high reps. Truthfully the more I keep moving (to a certain extent) the better my hip feels. When I sit down I get really stove up and stiff.
 
I would be very careful with your lifting. I know a ballet dancer who had both of her hips replaced. She continued to push herself through grueling ballet classes on pointe five days a week. Now her knees are very bad, and one of her hips needs a revision. She's in pain constantly. She will probably have to have her knees replaced, and she's 72. It's so sad to see what has happened to her body, and she's worked so hard at it.

I have ceramic balls in both of my hips. The stem is titanium. I haven't had any pain, but I've really changed what I do for fitness. I agree with what your surgeon told you about the stem, and how it could come loose. The sound you're describing worries me.

Everyone is different, but it's important to think about the future. I had my hips done at 50, and I hope they will last the rest of my life. I had to stop certain things, but to me, it's worth it.

I met a lady at the gym who is 65, and she has all kinds of problems with her body. I asked her how much weight she lifts, and she told me 190 lbs. She's addicted to it. Now she needs a knee replacement. Her shoulder is killing her. She's had several surgeries already. It's really sad, yet she continues to lift.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom