THR 11 weeks since my LTHR

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've never been able to ride a bike since the age of 11, when I was diagnosed with SUFE and when they operated on mg hip to pin it back in place , my alignment got severely damaged and my bone was fixed in such a way that I was unable to ride a bike as my left leg would hit the frame of the bike , if I sit to accommodate this I would simply fall off by leaning too far to the right
You know @Kettlebell queen that is exactly the same as me! Do you have any leg length discrepancy as well? My leg is 3cm (about and inch and a half) shorter which I hope will be adjusted with the THR.
 
You know @Kettlebell queen that is exactly the same as me! Do you have any leg length discrepancy as well? My leg is 3cm (about and inch and a half) shorter which I hope will be adjusted with the THR.
Hi fulafoto yes my left leg was 1 cm shorter after Initial childhood surgery ,then over the years it shortend further and became 2cm shorter , which put immense pressure on my right knee ( which crunches like hell ) my surgeon said that as my leg is shorter to begin with , the THR should correct this , and it has, both my legs now are exactly the Same length, so I no longer need inserts Inside all my left shoes , if the affected leg is shorter prior to surgery apparantly it's easier to get it to the correct length , so I'm told , and in my case this is true .


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@alexthecat hi Alex I've seen a previous post of yours where you say you powerlift? This is amazing to hear , how long after surgery could you do this ?

I was discharged from physical therapy when I was seven weeks post-THR. I returned to the gym a few days later.

What restrictions do you follow ?

None. I do not restrict my activities at all.

What weights can you go up to ?

That depends on my goals. I am currently training for an Olympic distance triathlon this summer, so I am doing limited weight training at present.

I got depressed and gathered that I'd never be able to lift thoes weights again , what do you think ?

I think you're going to be surprised at what you are able to do when you are fully recovered.



Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
 
Hi @Kettlebell queen! Welcome!!! Just thought I'd add on. I have just turned 43 and am going for my LTHR a week from today (May 28th), there seems to be a lot of us on here that are often 'considered to young' for hip replacements (I get that comment all the time too). I currently use a cane and already cant get my sock on without the assistance tool. I use to walk our dog for a brisk hour to two hours every day and now can barely get around the block. I apparently was born with hip dysplasia (just found that out) and thats whats caused the arthritis to be so bad, so young. It sounds like you're doing well @ 11 weeks. Just don't forget to give yourself the time your body needs to heal so you can actually have all those years with your new hip without complications. This is a fantastic forum. I've learned so much and gotten so much support!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
I was discharged from physical therapy when I was seven weeks post-THR. I returned to the gym a few days later.

None. I do not restrict my activities at all.

That depends on my goals. I am currently training for an Olympic distance triathlon this summer, so I am doing limited weight training at present.

I think you're going to be surprised at what you are able to do when you are fully recovered.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
OMG seriously ? You doing a triathlon ? So you also run ? That's amazing to hear , and the squatting how low can you go ? My surgeon was adamant about the 90 degree restrictions , what weights do you lift ? X


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Yes I love this forum, already I'm now feeling so much happier that im not alone , I also have two big poodles and I havevt walked them properly for months now , my boyfriend takes them out each day for me , I can't wait to feel normal again, and this forum is the best ever
[Bonesmart.org] 11 weeks since my LTHR



Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Yes, I am doing a triathlon and I do run. I've done a few sprint tris. This is my first Olympic.

I can squat as low as I wish (butt to the ground, even) and with whatever weights I need to meet my training goals. Weight training is not the focus of my training at the moment however.

If you want to know how much you should lift, that's a question for your OS or PT. I'd also get clarification on the 90° restriction. At your stage of recovery, you would have been released from that, right?

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
 
Wow , unreal , I'm really pleased to read this , I probably wont run again as I'm not the slimmest person in town , but I'm proper keen to get back to weight training , my 90degree restrictions I think are for 6 months , I no longer need my raised chairs and toilet seat etc, but my surgeon dosnt want me to lift heavy for about 9 to 12 months , I have however done a few gentle deadlifts using 2 x 12 kilo kettkebells and it felt fine, I'm seeing my surgeon soon and will be re addressing all these points to him , it's a breath if fresh air when you say you can squat without restrictions , that's something I definatly want to work towards , my whole alignment has changed since surgery , so it's gonna be a complete new beginning for me which I'm excited about , thanks Akexthecat


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi @Kettlebell queen - I love your positivity.. you might like to check out these articles sometime :)

The following is a link to an article which provides some approximate timeframes around the healing phases and processes (and relevant nutritional information) for you to read.

Healing Phases & Nutrition

This second link is to other nutritional articles which you may find interesting.

Nutritional advice for pre op and recovery

But first the BoneSmart mantra

- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock

- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone, especially a physiotherapist to do it to you
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!
- be active as much as you need to be but not more than is necessary, meaning so much that you end up being in pain, exhausted or desperate to sit down or lay down!

And then the very important hip recovery articles.....

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery
Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Activity progression for THRs
Home physio (PT)
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
 
I'm now 11 weeks post op , and things seem ok , my left hip still feels heavy , I'm now doing physio therapy using resistance bands , and also back on my kettkebells , taking it easy but glad to be on my weights again , does anyone know if deadlifting and medium squats will actually strengthen the hip long term?


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
You may notice that I have merged your two threads. We like to keep our members' recovery posts all in a single thread. That way it's easy for us to go back and read your history before responding to a question or concern. In addition, the thread becomes a journal of your recovery for those who come along later and want to read about you. So, please post in this thread from now on when you want to give an update or ask a question. If you decide you'd like a different thread title at any point, you can change it by using the Thread Tools button at the top right of your screen or just post what you want here and we'll get it changed for you.

I'm going to tag @alexthecat for you. She may be able to answer your question.
 
In general, squats might have some limited effect, depending on how you do them. There are lots of different varieties of squats and I don't know what a "medium squat" is. Dead lifts really wouldn't.

There is a Library thread with some better choices for strengthening the hip joint here:
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/exercises-to-strengthen-the-hip-joint.12754/
Of course, the best exercise for hips is still walking, but never to excess while you are still recovering.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for this , I will post on this thread then , I'm still learning how the site works , thanks for the tips, also alexthecat when I say medium squat I meant I don't go too low , do you mean deadlifts are ok ? As I love doing them , I find I'm
Still in pain with my hip when walking , is this normal at almost 3 months ?


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
In my experience, dead lifts and squats are both safe to do post-THR. However, neither will have much benefit for strengthening your hip. To strengthen your hip, I would recommend the exercises in the thread I linked to.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
 
Yes I've now looked at these, I'm doing the resistance bands already at physiotherapy , I may get a ball as well to use when I'm sat down watching tv


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
It's 3 months today that I had my THR and I'm now not using any crutches round the house but I take a crutch out with me when outside , I find that if I'm sat down then get up my hip really hurts , then once up and walking the pain goes , is this normal ? It's quite bad for about 40 seconds or so , the same when I get out of a car , chair , bed etc ,


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Good for you @Kettlebell queen - sounds like your coming along very well. Good idea to take the crutch with you when going outside too I think. Not sure about the pain when you get up and start moving - perhaps others on the other side could share their experiences :) I know I am stiff and sore when getting out of bed particularly but I am still pre-op. Hope the pain eases for you quickly :)
 
Kettlebell queen - yes, I am having a lot of muscle soreness/stiffness when getting up from sitting, or out of bed. Like yours, it goes away within a few moments after I start moving around. I think this is normal - if you think about working out when you're not used to it and waking up in the morning, or getting up after sitting for a long time, those muscles complain. I think we're surprised because we weren't actively involved this time in straining them - it literally happened while we were asleep :) I try to remember that I'm better off during the day if I get up every hour or so to give them a little exercise/stretching, but all too often I get involved in what I'm doing and time passes, and then the soreness is there. It's actually worse now that I'm doing more in PT and actively using the muscles - trying especially to come up with something to take overnight that might help, because it wakes me after about 4 hours. Maybe I should try my prescription pain meds again for overnights?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom