THR 11 weeks since my LTHR

Status
Not open for further replies.
@MajorHeidi it's definitely not a permanent thing, but I'm too far out from my own surgery to be able to remember how long it lasted. Some of last year's folks have been around lately, maybe one of them (such as @TeeEm or @zauberflöte or @LeeApril26 ) have something to say about that.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
 
Thanks guys , I'm hoping this will pass as it's very painful and I limp badly for a good few seconds , I'm wondering why this is happening and it seems worse than it was a few weeks ago when I was doing less , I am seeing my surgeon on Tuesday and I will be discussing this with him , I was hoping that after 3 months is be free of pain , but this dosnt seem to be the case at the moment ,


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi @Kettlebell queen - I recall that the stiffness, pain and limping for a few seconds took me approximately 7 months to settle and then suddenly one day, I noticed it was no so bad... But remember this was my recovery journey.. In saying this, even at 2.5 years post, I still occasionally experience it. But then I have lower back issues and the other hip to be replaced... Time and patience seem to go hand in hand, but recovery does get better all the time :)
 
Cheers guys , well I saw my surgeon yesterday and told him that when I get up from sitting down it hurts real bad to walk , he sent me for X-rays as he was worried I may have caused loosening of the stem , but the X-rays shows that it's ok and the bone is attaching , he said that the reason for my pain after 3 months is that I've been overdoing it and using my kettkebells too often , he said that If I had loosened the stem , the bone would not be able to attach and I would need a revision , that really scared me , so I'm not allowed to do as much as I have been , I'm hoping that the pain on getting up to walk will start to ease as I just feel back to square one


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi @kettlebellqueen , was just reading through your thread, it sounds like good news if the surgeon thinks it was just you overdoing it. Don't get discouraged I'm sure you will, before you know it, be able to get back to your regular workouts!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Cheers for all your answers , yes I'm relieved but still a little anxious , he said I need to be extra careful for at least 6 months as it's Uncemented and it needs to attach to the bone , I think I was doing my kettlebell sets too frequently , my surgeon said it's not so much the weight I'm lifting but the frequency at this stage, so I need to back off , it's so hard and frustrating , in excited as both my legs are now the same lenght after being uneven for 35 years , but I just need rest more I guess , I'm thinking maybe to try using dumbbells and a barbell in future rather than kettlebells which are of a slower more static nature , it's so frustrating , has anyone else got an Uncemented ceramic on ceramic ?


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I've had my 3 month check and my surgeon was worried that I'd loosened the stem, as I'd been having a lot of pain , luckily my X-rays show bone attaching itself as my hip is Uncemented , has anyone else had this issue ? I'm still in some pain, I've been overdoing my weight training 3 x per week for 40 mins although my physio said is ok , surgeon said it's too much for an Uncemented hip , any advice ?


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@MajorHeidi it's definitely not a permanent thing, but I'm too far out from my own surgery to be able to remember how long it lasted. Some of last year's folks have been around lately, maybe one of them (such as @TeeEm or @zauberflöte or @LeeApril26 ) have something to say about that. Hi elexthecat, how soon did you go back to lifting weights after your replacement ? I've now sold most of my kettkebells and bought a ladies Olympic barbell
(12 kilos) 5" long , as the movements won't be as swingy as that of the kettkebells , I'm so frustrated and wondering why after 4 months I'm still In quite a bit of pain xx
H


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Kettlebell queen I was reading your thread and the pain you are having sounds a lot like mine. Mine is in the thigh, sometimes the front and sometimes the back. It is bad when I first start walking and then usually gets better. Today I noticed something else....when I stand on my one leg on the operated side,then let the weight off of it by putting my other foot down, I get a terrible achy pain in the back of my thigh, right about where I think the end of the stem is. I am 13 weeks post op and am so frustrated that this doesn't seem to be improving much. I am pretty active, too, going to the gym almost every day. My OS thinks it is IT band tendonitis that will go away with time. It just doesn't feel like that to me, though. It feels like it is something to do with the stem. Some days it seems better than others, but it never goes away. I thought I would be mostly pain free by now. Sometimes it is hard to walk when it is bad. I'll be following your thread hoping your pain resolves eventually. And mine, too! :fingersx:
 
@Kettlebell queen I was reading your thread and the pain you are having sounds a lot like mine. Mine is in the thigh, sometimes the front and sometimes the back. It is bad when I first start walking and then usually gets better. Today I noticed something else....when I stand on my one leg on the operated side,then let the weight off of it by putting my other foot down, I get a terrible achy pain in the back of my thigh, right about where I think the end of the stem is. I am 13 weeks post op and am so frustrated that this doesn't seem to be improving much. I am pretty active, too, going to the gym almost every day. My OS thinks it is IT band tendonitis that will go away with time. It just doesn't feel like that to me, though. It feels like it is something to do with the stem. Some days it seems better than others, but it never goes away. I thought I would be mostly pain free by now. Sometimes it is hard to walk when it is bad. I'll be following your thread hoping your pain resolves eventually. And mine, too! :fingersx:
hello and thanks for your answer , you seem to be in a very similar position to me, is your hip Uncemented ceramic on ceramic ? It's so frustrating , pretty much every time I stand up I'm in pain , then once I'm up and about it eases , the process is a lot slower than I had imagined , I still feel unstable without one crutch when outside , desperate to get back to weight training without all these restrictions and cautions , I'm proper fed up with it now , , what do you do at the gym ? Do you do weights ?


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Kettlebell queen My hip is ceramic on polyethylene, uncemented. I have started back lifting weights, but am doing very light weights. I do spin classes, yoga, elliptical and swimming right now and I have eased very slowly into it. I wanted to be careful because I knew tendonitis and bursitis were things that could happen. I feel like I was very conservative in the beginning and I am still being very careful.
I have had this pain ever since surgery. It will ease a little and then come back. It kind of moves all over my thigh, but the achy, radiating pain in the back can be really bad sometimes. It is always there, but I really feel it when I have been weight bearing and then take the weight off by lifting my leg, if that makes sense. And I feel it when I first start to walk, then it will ease up.
I also have a sore area in the front that runs all along the IT band. I do believe that is muscle pain, but the back of my thigh pain seems like it might be something else. Anyway, I keep hoping it will resolve! Every morning when I wake up I think "will today be the day my pain leaves?" Then, I get out of bed and there it is.
 
@Kettlebell queen My hip is ceramic on polyethylene, uncemented. I have started back lifting weights, but am doing very light weights. I do spin classes, yoga, elliptical and swimming right now and I have eased very slowly into it. I wanted to be careful because I knew tendonitis and bursitis were things that could happen. I feel like I was very conservative in the beginning and I am still being very careful.
I have had this pain ever since surgery. It will ease a little and then come back. It kind of moves all over my thigh, but the achy, radiating pain in the back can be really bad sometimes. It is always there, but I really feel it when I have been weight bearing and then take the weight off by lifting my leg, if that makes sense. And I feel it when I first start to walk, then it will ease up.
I also have a sore area in the front that runs all along the IT band. I do believe that is muscle pain, but the back of my thigh pain seems like it might be something else. Anyway, I keep hoping it will resolve! Every morning when I wake up I think "will today be the day my pain leaves?" Then, I get out of bed and there it is.

Cheers for this , I'm feeling more positive now , did your surgeon mention the risks of stem loosening with Uncemented ? I was quite scared when he told me this , but luckily I'm ok and haven't caused any damage , 4 months now since my op and I'm starting to feel better , still not perfect but I'm more active , I'm back doing weights x 3 per week using a 12 kilo barbell , you say you do yoga? Do the extreme moves not pose a risk ? How long does the 90 degree restriction last for generally ? X


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I also have pain when I first get up from a chair. I have had it for months---initial recovery was very fast-I'm at 12 weeks and never in a million years did I imagine I would still have pain. I have been walking a lot--even the first few weeks--and doing lots of PT--more than what was suggested. For the last 3 weeks I've quit the PT thinking that I was overdoing it. The only difference I've noticed is less pain when I tie my shoes. It is very frustrating to work so hard on recovery and things go on and on without change--sometimes even feeling I'm goingbackwards!!! I'm glad I'm not theo nly one with this--but wish that none of us had it!!!! I will be following you and hoping youfind themagic bullet.
 
Hi @Kettlebell queen I am 37 and had surgery on my hip as a baby. Just had THR on that hip 9 weeks ago. I read through this thread, as I have been experiencing some of the pain you mention. I was doing better a few weeks ago, until I started pt. It seems that every time I go to pt, I come home with pain. It is causing pain in my joint... a deep achy pain in addition to the muscles and tendons around the joint. I tell them every time I go back to pt and they have been very good about it... reducing activity and eliminating exercises they think may aggravate it. It's just discouraging because I am SO weak on my operated side. I had not stepped up on a step/stairs, full weight bearing on my left side for the past 4 years. So, you can imagine how weak it is. I have to do something to strengthen that side and I want to use stairs again normally. But, the pt is causing pain... enough so that sometimes I worry that I am going backwards in my recovery. Anyone have any ideas, please share?
 
The pain, stiffness experienced on getting up after THR went on for me until I was about 6 months.....from what everyone seems to be saying it seems the pain is after PT or exercise.....perhaps stopping the exercise for a couple of weeks and go back to icing & elevating may help. I think that we get to about 2/3 months and think everything is back to normal....start doing everything..housework, walking more, take back our usual 'stuff' and then start more exercise too and then wonder why our hips protest. This was certainly the case for me. I went back to taking it easier for a week or two & the pains eased off......
Worth a try! Chrissie x


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Yes it's so frustrating , I'm back doing barbell weights but only up to 12 kilos at the moment , I still have pain on getting up , it's now 5 months since my THR and my progress seems quite slow , although my physiotherapist says I'm doing well , I lost my balance while sitting on a low sofa in a friends house and went down with a thud , my leg hurts now more than normal , is dislocation still a risk at 5 months ? I don't think I've dislocated it but it sure gave me a fright


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Kettlebell queen you would definitely know if you have dislocated your hip. You would have severe pain, and wouldn't be able to stand. You have most likely irritated the muscles and soft tissue. You are still in recovery at 5 months - check this article...

The following is a link to an article which provides the current science regarding the healing beneath and around the implant and approximate timeframes for the healing phases and processes and the relevant nutritional information for each phase.

Healing Phases & Nutrition
 
Thankyou poppet , I was terrified if dislocated it , as my butcheek felt numb and pain down leg , it's easing slightly , I'm doing a lot of strenght exercises to get stronger muscles ,it's so frustrating , I'm now off crutches after being on them for 4 months , it's been a tough and laborious journey , and I'm still in pain and discomfort ! But glad that I've at least got this far


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Kettlebell queen
I have to agree with @Poppet on that matter. One of the reasons that I had my hip replacement was after breaking my femur they placed pins in the head of it that caused it to grow back abnormal and it would often sporadically dislocate. I hate to hear about your fall. I know they can be a setback. I had my hip replacement on new years eve last year and mine has also been a very slow recovery. It seemed like about 6 weeks ago I was finally making real progress when I fell and it set me back a little while. I spent the next three days with ice on my hip and my feet elevated but I did recover. I know you already know this but ice is your greatest friend in those moments. It has taken me almost 8 months now to get relief without pain medicine but finally it seems to be here. God speed with you on your journey and I hope and pray that your recovery goes quickly and smoothly. Also try not to have any sudden meetings with the floor again in the near future.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom