TKR 11/11/2014 - my recovery journal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Being able to lift your own leg is SUCH a great feeling! I couldn't believe it when I did it the first time; after having to ask people to lift my leg here and there, it was such a rush of hope to find I could do it on my own!

Good for you for staying ahead of the pain. Staying comfortable makes the rest of this journey that much easier. Have a good evening!
 
@PrincessTia You are so right. I was thrilled when I was able to lift my leg. Truly just moments before it was a complete "log leg". And now on top of that, I have been visited by the "poop fairy"! This has certainly been an eventful day. I think it will be sweet dreams for me tonight! :) Hope you have a pleasant evening as well.
 
@sandbar525
So glad to hear everything is going well for you. Slow and steady appears to be the key!
Just noticed that we share the same birthday! Just think--by that time we should both feel like new:)


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
@sandbar525 whooot whooot what a day yup I had log leg went with woooden head well. Great to hear you so chipper. Sleep well best healing there is

Legin THR Sep 14
 
@sandbar525 Congrats on the leg lift, I am sure that was a wonderful feeling for sure!! Hope you continue this upward trend in your recovery!!
 
Day 5: Pretty slow and uneventful day. Taking pain meds on schedule, icing & elevating in bed. Only did gentle PT in bed since swelling was a little more today so I backed off the home PT and pretty much only concentrated on ankle pumps. Tomorrow morning have appointment at the lab for finger stick for INR check and then first out patient PT (both at the same facility and sequential time frame). Tomorrow's PT will be 45 minutes because it will include intake and then it will change to 30 minutes, twice a week. I'll report on that experience tomorrow. Hope everyone is having a restful Sunday and good luck to all the November Nimbles up for surgery tomorrow. Hugs all around!
 
Great progress this weekend. Especially the poop fairy, lol! Good luck tomorrow and be sure to rest after. I have home INR tomorrow and home PT. We can compare notes after.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Day 5 (update): When I previously said day 5 was uneventful, I was speaking a bit prematurely...poop #2 occurred! :) Still intend to keep up with the Colace and Senna. No reason to fool with Mother Nature. Sweet dreams to one and all! :sleeep:
 
Wahay hmmmmmm bad when you wahey a phoo chortle. Well done on all counts keep that leg moving. - note to self dont bend down when near sandbar might end up with a greeting of the bottom kicking kind

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Ah but I know what sandbars are like you walk along in a wee ripple of water take an extra step and SPLASH, one soggy ogre drip drip

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Ooooooer casts an eye for said wave oooooops did cast eye mean throw it.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Day 6: Pretty good day overall. Meds doing their job, icing saves the day. I'm elevating (3 pillow wedge) but still have quite a bit of swelling in my left leg. Wearing my Ted stockings 22 of 24 hours. Had first out patient PT this morning. Very happy with my PT person. His manner is very gentle, no pulling or pushing at all. Talked about approaching things with the idea of striking a happy medium (not doing too much nor doing too little). Didn't add any additional home PT right now. Said what I'm doing (heel slides, quad sets and raised leg for extension) is perfect. Suggested 3-4 times per day at home on days without PT. Had me do heel slides without warmup and ROM was 91. Then had me do 1 set of 4, holding for 30 seconds and resting for 10 seconds. Remeasured and ROM was 96. Left it at that and said it was a great starting place on day 6. Extension was also good. He eyeballed it at a 5 and said he would measure next time. Had me walk with walker twice around the exercise floor, reminding me not to watch my feet but to pick a place about 30 feet ahead to look at. Also said he was pleased at the amount of arm pressure I was exerting on the arms of the walker and said to continue to try to keep it as light as possible while still feeling stable. Next appointment is Thursday (30 minutes) and then will continue twice a week for 30 minutes each time. Felt super comfortable with him and feel it is a good fit!

Unfortunately, anti-coag appointment not such good news. INR reading up to 4.7 (range is 1.8-2.3) so no warfarin for today and tomorrow and then back on Wednesday morning for another finger stick. I'm sure she will get it figured out.

Everything else is very good. This will be the first night I'm on my own without overnight care. Of course sisters and daughter are only a phone call away and will pop in tomorrow evening to make sure all is well, in addition to having everything in place before leaving tonight. It's like having 3 mothers! :)

Well, I think it's time for a little nap before sisters arrive after they are done with work. I'm sure I'll pop back online again later this evening when they have left. Till then, hugs all around!
 
@sandbar525 , that is one terrific report! Congratulations on that! Sounds like you are doing everything right.

That is one crazy INR you have, girl! I wonder how it got so high! Mine was 1.4 today, so I actually had to add another mg. of Coumadin. I am now on 6 mg. That is what I was on for the hip, so I expect it will stay steady. Good luck getting that down! You must be very bruised. :-(

Good luck tonight on your own, and enjoy the peace and quiet. Sounds like you are in a great place. So, ice, elevate and rest! You earned it today.

Hugs,
Sharon
 
@sandbar525 You will be fine on your own tonight, don't get stressed about it! Glad you ended up with a good PT. Take care of yourself and get some sleep.
 
Boo you will be fine im sure and another good post. Good that PT is working out, its such a luck of the draw I have had some real killersmin the past, HMMMMMMMMM ponders was a contract taken out on me. Glad its going so well

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom