Guest viewing is limited

TKR 11/11/2014 - my recovery journal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let the recovery journey begin!
 
End of day 2: Feeling very good. Did home PT today but very minimum. Heel slides 5x hold for 30 seconds and release 2x per day; quad sets 10x hold for 5 seconds 2x per day; heel elevated on lowest setting of yoga block for 1 minute 2 x per day. Elevated and iced pretty much round the clock except when walking to from bathroom. Also did ankle pumps periodically during the day but not too much. Called OS office to have dilaudid refilled. No problem, sister will pick up script tomorrow. Still can't raise operated leg but know to be patient and it will come. I'll post again tomorrow for another update. Meds definitely keeping me ahead of the pain. Alarm goes off every 3 hours so I don't miss a prescribed does. I feel this level of early success can be directly attributed to Bone Smart site and all of the great advice found here. Very grateful!
 
Great news! So glad you are doing well. I got switched to dilaudin yesterday but only today did I get the 6 mg. had been on 4 mg. maxed a big difference. Glad you are off to such a great start.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@LaxMom Hope the dilaudin works for you, too. The thing I appreciate about it most, in addition to keeping the pain at bay is the fact that I'm not having any weird dreams that you sometimes hear come with narcotics. No bruising for me yet but definitely swelling. The ice and elevating is doing a pretty good job but it is still a big factor. Have an appointment for blood draw at anti-coag clinic tomorrow morning. No too nervous about the ride too/from since it is only the same five miles as the hospital and that went pretty smoothly coming home. I'll let you know how it goes. How are you doing overall?
 
@sandbar525. I am so glad for you that everything is going so smoothly for you.
Your posts are so interesting and I appreciate the detail-- I'll be following in your footsteps a week from today!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
@Elizabeth U The waiting is very tough. I'll post daily with as much detail as possible. I know how helpful those posts were to me during the pre-op waiting period! I've been drinking prune juice but have now added one daily coalesce and one daily senna to hopefully move things along...if you know what I mean? :)
 
@sandbar525 glad you are doing so well. Don't be surprised to see bruising later on. Mine came at about a week out. I just woke up with it one morning all black and blue behind my knee and on one side of the knee. It caught me off guard but several people here told me it was normal.
 
@sandbar525 , the dilaudin seems to be working great. For my hip, i had oxycodone and I only stayed on it for 2 weeks due to the night terrors and night sweats. So far, this seems to take the pain away and not be too bad. I decided to get a phone app pill reminder after I read that you were setting reminders. Alas, the app only did a tiny beep like a text message, which I slept through. But, was pleased that I did sleep from 10 pm to 2:00 am, so that was good.

Interesting how different areas do things differently. I am on coumadin also, but the visiting nurse will come and do finger sticks on Mondays and Thursdays.

I am doing better, overall - look for my complete post in my site.

Again, glad you are doing so well! You give me hope that once I sort out my issues I will too. Hugs!
 
@sandbar525 Wow welcome to the recovery side and glad things are going so well. :iagree: (above post) I hope it all continues and believe laughter is the best medicine
 
Day 3: My big adventure today was going to anti-coag clinic for my INR reading. Goal for me is 1.8-2.3 range and I'm currently at 4.5 so we are working to get that to move down. Stopping the Luvenox shots and no warfarin today. Another finger stick tomorrow to see how much a hold day will move the count down. Also got a refill for dilaudin from my OS for another 60 which will take me through next week. Then will probably move a step down (perhaps Tramadol & Tylenol). Since I had the car trip to/from the clinic and a bit of walking to my appointment, I will consider that my in-home PT for the day! :) Now I'm back to meds, ice & elevation in bed. Fortunately have had no problem sleeping in my bed so sleep has not been an issue thus far. I also have a comfy set up in the living room in case I feel like I need a change of scenery. Probably the biggest trouble is swelling...not horrible but definitely inhibiting flexion. I'm not worried about it and don't push past pain at all. My OS mentioned that when on warfarin there is more a tendency for swelling so that ROM may be slower to come by. My overall assessment is that things are going very well. I, however, don't take that as a reason to overdo. I'm still following the mantra to the letter and will continue to do so. I know this recovery will not be a linear process but do feel as if I'm moving forward. Best of all is that the arthritis pain is completely GONE! It actually seems somewhat miraculous. :) Eyelids are beginning to droop so I'll sign off for now.
 
Brilliant possitive thinking often we are what our head makes us, (dagnabit theres me with only 1 brain cell). Also sleep often so much easier at home.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
It sounds like you are taking a very reasonable approach to recovery. It is a day at a time and rest is critical to this time. I spent a lot of time with my leg propped up on three pillows---I think it is important to deal with the swelling in the first few weeks. By four weeks most of the swelling was gone and I could begin to work on the muscles'!
 
@sandbar525 Sounds like your recovery is progressing wonderfully!! My left knee will be done this Tuesday, 3 more days. Not too nervous at this point, but it was put off twice before so I am really ready for it. Will be watching your posts. Glad things are going so well!!
 
You are really doing well the ogre is very Impressed. Dont do like me and rush things heck got told off by nurses drs physios wife kids the world ish. Several falls later some big scares im almost without sticks (I am most of the time dont tell physio). Good luck in your journey but I doubt you will need it.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
@sandbar525 Yay, you sound like you're doing a wonderful job! I love how you are applying all the BoneSmartie advice; I try to do the same thing. This site has been a true blessing.

Best wishes for a continued slow and steady recovery. Sleep well! :sleep:
 
Day 4: Steadily moving forward. Had to go to lab this morning for another blood draw to check if INR is getting closer to my range (1.8-2.3). It had moved down from 4.2 to 2.7 so a big improvement. Have me on 2.5mg warfarin today and tomorrow and then in for another finger stick on Monday to check things out. And now for the drum roll...I was able to lift my leg today! :yes!: It happened just like @tiredwife said it would. One minute "log leg" and then the next minute I could lift it right up in the air. Boy, did that feel like an accomplishment. Still dealing with quite a bit of swelling but icing and elevating pretty much continuously. Because of swelling, I don't have much expectation for ROM numbers at first PT on Monday but will be sure to let you know. I can say unequivocally that staying ahead of the pain is key. I'm taking my meds as prescribed and by the clock, setting my alarm for each dose so that I stay on schedule. Can honestly say there hasn't been one time since I've been home that I've laid watching the clock for the next dose. Keeping at home PT very gentle. 2x a day consisting of quad sets x15 for 5 seconds each; rest heel on low setting of yoga block for 10 minutes; heels slides in chair x4 for 30 second hold each. I'm not taking anything for granted because I know things can change but feel very blessed for the healing that has taken place thus far. Best wishes to all pre-op and post-op Smarties for restful evening. Hugs to everyone!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom