MUA 10 weeks out and low ROM<

By your photo, it looks like to me your knee is pretty swollen. That will lower your ROM. Once that swelling comes down, your ROM should improve. Even when the outside swelling goes down you probably will still have swelling inside the knee, making it stiff. Over time, that stiffness will go down and the ROM goes up!
 
I ordered these large ice packs from amazon and would lay one on top and one under my knee when elevating. They were kinda heavy, but cold for a long time. Saw them on BS. DJO Black polyurethane 13x10. I ended up getting 4 so 2 could be in the freezer. I iced for many many months and still do if I’ve had a busy day or seem more swollen. At your stage, I was still sleeping with ice too. Ice is your best friend. :)
 
Thanks for all the encouraging words it's good to read that ROM can be achieved with those time frames. My only concern is that I'm at like 50 or 60 degrees seems like everybody's at 90 + and waiting for that 100 to 150 range. Probably just seems worse cuz it's me. And probably the swelling.

Do you have a picture of the ice packs?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk
 
[/ATTACH]
[Bonesmart.org] 10 weeks out and low ROM<
Here it is. I don't know where that name came from that I posted last night... I swear I saw it in my order history on Amazon. but they're actually called - Chattanooga ColPac Reusable Gel Ice Pack Cold Therapy. I got the large, standard size. I still keep 2 in my freezer and have 2 in my closet with my other TKR items - stored for the next knee, whenever that may be!
 
Tjank you Jaschembra.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk
 
@Celle, would it be possible to change the title of my thread to (7 weeks out and low ROM) ? I think this would help attract similar situations.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk
 
Headed to OS tomorrow. Will see what happens, sure he will try to schedule MUA. I still have lots of swelling. I'm going to tell him I need to think about it and wait a little longer. Still at 50 degrees. Kinda sad. I will report on what happens.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk
 
Your swelling is why your ROM is low. Once that swelling comes down, you bend will increase. You know if a water hose is full of water you can't bend it. When you run it all out, that hose bends easily. Your knee is the same way. Get that water out of there and it will bend!
 
Heading to OS at 1:00 pm today will see what transpires....
 
Hi Andy how are you getting on now? Has your flexion increased ? Mine is only 75° and I'm10 weeks now, trying not too worry to much about it but it's hard . Oh sorry just seen your post that you are at 50° bless you, I'm not that much further really so can sympathize with you . Do you think you will have an mua?
 
Last edited:
@rtkneeandy - you will see that I have moved several of you posts and the responses to them from ZinAZ's thread to your own thread.

By putting your posts in his recovery thread, you were disrupting his thread, which should be about his own recovery.
Forum etiquette: being polite when posting

Please post any updates or questions about your recovery in your own thread. We will see them there, as someone checks all the new posts every day.
If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.
How to tag another member; how to answer when someone tags you

If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you. I have changed ZinAz's thread title, so there won't be two threads with the same title. It was my fault I changed the thread title when you requested it - I should have realised it wasn't your thread.

Just in case you couldn't find your thread, here are the instructions on finding your thread,
How can I find my threads and posts? . Many members bookmark their thread, so they can find it when they log on.
 
How was your OS visit? Any conversations on why he thinks you are so swollen? How has returning to work been going?
 
MUA on 1/19/2018
Went ok OS got 125 and 0 under anesthetic. Went to PT five days after MUA. first day ROM down to 55. Today is 1/29/2018 and flex is 72. Going to PT 3 days a week for a while. Back to work AGAIN I was off the week following the MUA, swelled and sore quad. Now most of my pain is under the knee cap. PT says it because the knee cap isn't moving. Time will tell.....
 
Do you think it was worth having MUA? It will be interesting if you post the ROM numbers from now to see if it did. What’s your pain level compared to before the MUA? I had my rtkr on 26 October 2017 and I’m still in pain all round knee. I agree with others ice and more ice or gels all round the knee can be better than any painkiller!
 
I had similar issues 3yrs ago due to my Rheumatoud arthritis. I was 65 degrees at 8 weeks, had a mua and was only 75 afterwards. I continued PT and walking at work. At 14 weeks I was 105 which continued to improve up to 120 over time. The mua caused extra swelling for a couple of weeks. Lots of ice and elevation. It's hard to be patient but hopefully your rom will improve soon.
 
Do you think it was worth having MUA? It will be interesting if you post the ROM numbers from now to see if it did. What’s your pain level compared to before the MUA? I had my rtkr on 26 October 2017 and I’m still in pain all round knee. I agree with others ice and more ice or gels all round the knee can be better than any painkiller!

Yes it was worth it. Im at 79 degrees flexion and +12 extension. Prior I was at 45 and 25 extension. Pain level is higher but different. Quad is very painful as well as under kneecap. PT says the kneecap pain is caused by the lack of movement in the kneecap, which is getting better slowly. Five straight days of PT after the MUA now at three days a week. Is your kneecap mobile? I'm asking because that's where most of my pain is, except for the Quad muscle. All looks to be getting better. Finding the correct PT is very difficult. My PT guy is great finally...I've had two others that were terrible.
 
@Gel-girl
How much PT did you have? What did it consist of? What was your ROM numbers before and after?
 
What does the PT do in your sessions, especially when you went 5 days a week?
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom