MUA 10 weeks out and low ROM<

What does the PT do in your sessions, especially when you went 5 days a week?

No exercises for the first week then about half Quad and calf massage, then sitting with leg hanging he would manipulate the joint by pulling down and forward. He also sports taped the quad to help with nerve desensitization. Moving kneecap around to "break things loose". Ending with stim and ice.
 
Moving kneecap around to "break things loose".
manipulate the joint by pulling down and forward.
That sounds scary! Did it hurt?

I’m sorry you’ve had such a tough time. I’ve been reading your journey all along. It’s amazing, isn’t it, how some of us have such a slow rom recovery and others, even with quite a bit of swelling have higher roms.

At 10 months post op I still have a ways to go, I still have issues and more limitations than I’d like.

Best wishes to you as you continue on.
 
Yes it was "sweaty" very uncomfortable. What is your ROM now
 
I posted a reply about PT on my thread which I hope I've included you. In case not my PT is not brilliant and 2 weeks ago my numbers were 90 and +10 which seemed ok to her but she would have liked more. Its good that MUA worked for you and certainly you numbers are good now - keep up the good work but don't do too much!
 
My rom has not been measured since October 17, at my 7 month check up, so I don’t know what it is now. It was 114 then, bending totally on my own for the first time ever, for a measurement. All the other measures were taken by either the PT or my surgeon pushing it to where they wanted it, which was always painful. Finally by my 7 month check I finally had the nerve to not let my surgeon do that.

Knowing what I know now, if it was me, I would not let the PT do that pulling on my leg. I have learned that PTs don’t know as much as we think they do. And I have even come to trust Bonesmart more than my surgeon.

At 4 months post op I hurt my knee/leg which caused a major set back. I could hardly bend my knee at all. It took me 2 months to feel like my bend started to improve again. So I was thrilled with the 114 at 7 months.

Before that set back my flex numbers were great, but those were always forced numbers. Everything changed when I hurt my leg and my whole leg has not been the same since.

I do feel that my bend continues to improve, though, and I am counting on time and healing to “do it’s thing “.
 
Hi, @rtkneeandy I saw your post on funkymuse’s thread and read that your wife is helping you by pushing down on your leg to help with extension.

I know you both think that this is important to do, and I bet you were told to do that, but it honestly isn’t necessary and could do more harm than good. Please don’t do that.

Possibly the best thing for your knee is that your insurance for PT has run out. PTs think they are doing the right thing but some don’t really understand the way to rehab a knee replacement.

Walking is the best thing for your ROM. ROM is the general term for both bend and straight. Don’t walk to excess yet, you have lots of time.

Believe it or not, 4 months is still early with healing that can take a year or even longer. ROM can continue even after a year or more after surgery.

Patience is the main thing we have to exercise in this recovery.

Treat your knee very gently and let it recover. It’s been through the mill the last 4 months.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom