Guest viewing is limited

MUA 10 weeks out and low ROM<

Have you had your first PT visit? I was thinking it was this week. You mention your bend, how are you getting to that number - did you buy a measuring tool? Did PT measure it? Inquiring mind would like to know. "Stay warm"!
 
@rtkneeandy, I wish there was some way for you to see how many of us gained ROM as time went on. And I wish so much attention wasn't given to ROM at first. There is so much going on inside your knee. You are barely a month past surgery. Bones were cut, nerves and muscle moved out of the way and a new knee put in. Those are major disruptions to you body and just take time to heal. I'm not sure what my ROM was in the beginning and never thought to ask. My knee just took its time and slowly healed. I started a walking program at 4 months and think it made a huge difference. Eleven months later, my dr. measured me at 140.

I'm having another on 1/15 and it may not do as well. Hopefully it will but that remains to be seen. If you can, try to not dwell on your knee constantly. It is just one part of who you are. It's going to have twinges, numbness and pain but you can do it. If you look on the main Bonesmart page, you will see that there have been 439,000 messages in the recovery forum. Most have healed and moved on.

If you had a bad pneumonia, you wouldn't expect to be well in a month. Please give yourself time to heal. Those of us on here who have come out the other side preach patience. There's a reason we say it. Try to relax and stop worrying. You will do great!
 
Have you had your first PT visit? I was thinking it was this week. You mention your bend, how are you getting to that number - did you buy a measuring tool? Did PT measure it? Inquiring mind would like to know. "Stay warm"!
Yes PT measured it on Monday and I was at 60°. The visit went okay no big pain she seem to listen had me do foot up on the wall, scoot my butt into help bend the knee had me hang over the edge the only thing I didn't like was she had me lay down on my stomach scoot back to my knee hung off that was an unpleasant but I stopped it pretty quick.

Went back Friday to PT same girl we may have pushed a little bit more but not any great pain and by the time I got home I couldn't put any weight on it and it was swelled up. As of today I can get weight on it again but it's pretty sore, amazing I'm very surprised even though I know myself well and that I don't do well with PT after reading the board maybe I still let her go a little too far. Thanks for asking

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk
 
Msgirl, good luck to you on the 5th you're an old Pro, this one will probably even do better than the last. Yes patience is definitely a problem I was supposed to go back to work next week obviously that's not going to happen.
I'm going to take it a week at a time. I'm still taking 2 oxycodone every 6 hours I may try to cut that back some next week. Obviously I can't go to work till I get rid of the pain medicine. Here I Go Again rushing it right I think it would be safe to try cutting my pain medicine in half and see how that goes maybe that will help me decide if it's time to go back to work.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk
 
Got one of these bad boys ordered from Amazon supposed to be here tomorrow. Supposedly it holds for ice packs and ices 360° has anyone seen or use these?
[Bonesmart.org] 10 weeks out and low ROM<


Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk
 
Here's a question on a completely different subject for everyone. I'm still on my Oxycodone 5 mg pills and I'm taking two every 6 hours. I completely understand that alcohol and oxy don't go together I was thinking about having a cocktail with my lovely wife on New Year's and called the pharmacey o find out how far ahead I should stop taking the oxy if I wanted to have a drink on new yesrs, and they threw a fit and said don't even think about it anybody have any experience?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk
 
I would think your overall comfort should come before having a drink just because of a holiday. There will be plenty of time for that later.
 
I agree with Jockette. Don't take the chance of having to play catch up with your pain. It is not worth it. You are only a little bit over a month out. To stop meds to celebrate one night makes no sense. Postpone your celebration until you don't need pain meds anymore!
 
Here are the full Tramadol-Tylenol charts. The first one is for 4-hourly medications and the second one is for 6-hourly:
[Bonesmart.org] 10 weeks out and low ROM<


The safe daily total of Tylenol is 4,000 mg in 24 hours.
You need to check your other medications, to make sure there is no Tylenol (Acetaminophen) in them. If there is, add that amount to your calculations of daily dosage, so you don't exceed 4,000 mg in 24 hours.
 
Thanks to all. Slow and steady and sober new years for us . Just not worth it. Happy NY to all!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk
 
Looks like my ROM is back to 50deg it was 60. Surgery 10/24/17. Apt with OS next week. I know he is going to want to do a MUA. Should I still hold my ground to wait even though I have lost some motion? I'm not reading much here about anyone with this lack of motion at the 5 week mark.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk
 
Correction 6 weeks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk
 
How do you feel about your flexion at this point? Is your knee still swollen, and was it maybe a little more swollen this past week? If that's the case, you might try resting with only gentle exercise for another few weeks to see if the swelling will decrease and your flexion increase as a result. You have nothing to lose by waiting a few weeks or even a month or two before attempting an MUA, and if resting and icing does increase your ROM, you will have avoided a harsh procedure.

Several comments back, Celle posted another member's one year progress in ROM. He too had a slow start in gaining flexion, but by the end of a year, he'd gotten to having great flexion. It's worth taking another look at that progress chart. It's way too easy to be impatient with our new knees.
 
Maybe you are correct, yes it is swelled but not a lot the whole knee joint is just tight and stiff.

Probably a good idea to let some time pass before I jump into anything from what I've read putting off the MUA is not a terrible thing as long as you don't wait too long.
Maybe this picture will help with the amount of swelling. Getting around just fine with a cane and could probably do without, my only mobility issue is I don't have 90 degrees but hopefully if I keep walking and doing everyday stuff and not overdoing things will get better from daily usage like I keep reading.

[Bonesmart.org] 10 weeks out and low ROM<


Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk
 
My leg looked swollen like yours. All I know is I would keep my leg as high as possible when I was off my feet with ice. Good luck at the OS next week. I would very calmly say I would like to wait a bit before considering a manipulation - I want my swelling to settle down.
 
rtkneeandy,
I’m curious how you are elevating your leg? Are you lying on your back with leg above your heart , or recliner? I know for myself, a recliner didn’t get it high enough. Sorry to hear you’re having so much difficulty. With so much swelling, it can’t bend. Did you doc give you the polar care ice machine? We had the same doc, and he was no longer ordering them. Thank goodness the hospital PT gave them to me anyway. They really reduced swelling overnight
 
No I didn't get the polar care. I did get something off of eBay that you put water bottles in and it pumped cold water but it wasn't very cold. To elevate I'm using the purple wedge I got from Amazon forgot the name of it, and I'm using a total knee wrap that has 360-degree coverage was some ice packets in it that I got from Amazon. I am icing a little less than I used to maybe that's part of my problem.

My surgeon's visit got put off until the 16th of next month so I have a lot of time to try to make some hay. It's almost got to be the swelling holding me back, yesterday I actually felt pretty good today it's swelled up bigger than ever. Probably too much walking around.

Below is a picture of the knee wrap I got it works really well just doesn't last quite long enough I'm thinking about buying another one it was only about $40.

[Bonesmart.org] 10 weeks out and low ROM<


Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk
 
Here's a picture of the wedge I got I'm sure I've seen it other places on this site though but maybe it will help someone, kind of expensive, but works well with replaceable cover.

[Bonesmart.org] 10 weeks out and low ROM<


Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk
 
Back
Top Bottom