Guest viewing is limited

MUA 10 weeks after TKRS and not yet happy

That's brilliant! You must be so glad you had it done. I know I am. I think there's too many scare stories put about regarding MUAs . Certainly they seem to be held up to people as a threat rather than a potentially extremely beneficial procedure!
 
This is great news so glad your seeing positive results.
 
I'm very happy for you that things are going better and improving.


Sent from my iPad
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all the kind words.
Since the MUA a week ago my range of motion is much improved and the tight band feeling is no longer as prevalent,but I am experiencing a lot of knee pain particularly on the outside of the knee. I have been icing,elevating and stretching along with some pool,bike and physio work [tryng not to over do it].
I would be very interested in the experience of others who have had an MUA. Is this post procedure pain a week after normal or not? Thank you
 
Is it an IT band thing? Certainly from time to time I get this but its due to my gait which has changed due to the improved alignment of my leg.
 
I think you're doing way too much a week after an MUA. In most cases rest, ice, elevation is all you need after an MUA because your soft tissue has been traumatized, not quite as much as a surgery, but it will still result in swelling if you do too much afterward.
 
IT band feeling?? Not sure what you mean by that Spex10. The tight band feeling that I had prior to the MUA has pretty much gone. This new pain is pretty consent mostly on the outside of the knee.
I thought you might feel that I am over doing it KarriB. I will try to back it off. The OS said that I need to keep the knee moving.
 
Absolutely keep the knee moving, a bit of walking and biking are great. I rode my bike everyday but on 0 resistance, however I did no pool work until I was 8 months post op and even then I was exhausted. I honestly cannot imagine pool work, PT, and bike after an MUA. My concern is that all that activity so soon after an MUA will cause swelling in your knee and since you've mentioned this new pain I think that's what is causing the new pain.
 
The IT band is a long band of tissue that runs down the outside of the knee. It doesn't feel like the old tight band feeling it can just feel like pain on the outside of the knee.
 
@BARBRI
Please will you add your MUA and its date (in full) to your Signature? Hover over your username, top right of the page, and select Signature from the drop-down box. Enter your surgery details and then save. This article also explains how to do it:
How to create a signature
If you can’t do it, please let us know (give us the date), so that we can do it for you. Thank you.

Yes, it's normal for your knee to still be painful a week after an MUA. Some soft tissue damage will have taken place as your knee was forced while you were under the anaesthetic.

Treat your knee gently, with lots of rest, ice and elevation and just a little, gentle exercise, to keep the knee moving.
 
9 days after the MUA my previously stated optimism is starting to wane. My knee is very sore and stiff today and it feels like that tight band feeling is returning. I could barely make it around on the stationary bike and it hurt lots to do so even for less than a minute. I am just hoping that it is a residual side effect from the MUA and a reduction in my pain medication and that better days are ahead.
 
Persevere gently. I have less good days and start to think the worst then wake up next day and its OK -not perfect but OK.
Re the tight band feeling: I find it wears off. If it doesn't I get up and move about. Anything to 'oil up' the joint with synovial fluid. If I sit too long it feels like it dries out somehow and stiffens up.
 
Here I am awake in the middle of the night due to pain and discomfort in my leg. Yes my leg and not just my knee. My leg feels kind of weird from my knee right down to my foot. Feels like it is swollen and under pressure,but it is not. Feels numb yet tingly,kind of itchy almost. Do not recall it feeling quite like this before. Somehow I do not think I should be experiencing these pains and sensations after over 3 months post surgery and 10 days post MUA. Anybody else ever experience anything quite like I am trying to describe?
 
I do seem to hurt my leg in bed somehow. Maybe turning it or leaning too long at an odd angle. It usually improves when I get up.
How is it if you do that @BARBRI? Could you have temporarily given yourself a 'deadleg'?
 
I know that my knee/leg tends to hurt more at night when I am in bed, likelyfor the reasons that you state and getting up and moving around usually alleviates it. But this time the pain and sensation all down my leg seems to persist. What do you mean by "deadleg"? I have not heard that term before.
I have been wondering what I may have been doing differently that may have contributed and the only thing that I can think of is using the elliptical machine for a little longer stretch and at a little faster pace.
 
I googled dead leg or a charley horse and am pretty sure that is not what I am experiencing.
 
Actually a dead leg to me is when it goes numb. It happens more to arms if you sleep awkwardly on a nerve you wake up with this strange limb which doesn't feel like its yours. Feeling gradually returns.
 
Back
Top Bottom