MUA 10 weeks after TKRS and not yet happy

Why an MUA with a Rom of 110? I was at 115 when I left PT and my ROM only went up after that.
 
My ROM is currently between 100-110 and I am about 10 degrees short of a full leg extension after over 12 weeks and knee is very stiff. PT says it will not likely get much better even with further physio and has strongly recommended MUA.
 
How does it affect you? I assume its the extension that the PT sees as a problem.
 
It is the knee bend that the PT and I are most concerned about rather than the extension. PT says that the current extension should not pose a problem for me,but if I want to get back to playing softball,racquet court sports and golf that I will need a knee bend of at least 120-125. As per your suggestion I am backing off of PT other than the pool exercises. Thank you for your continued interest and input.
 
I think that's wise. Spend this week icing and elevating as much as possible. Be careful with water exercise as it's easy to over do things in the water and no realize it until the next day. I was at 115 when I left PT around 5 months out, but at 18 months I realized I could squat in a pool! All I did daily after leaving PT was ride my bike on 0 resistance and by month 8 I began swimming my laps again. I think the difference is in our recoveries is the time element as I didn't start PT after my 2nd surgery until 1.5 months. Give your knee time to heal, time to reduce swelling and hopefully you'll see a difference.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
My ROM is currently between 100-110 and I am about 10 degrees short of a full leg extension after over 12 weeks and knee is very stiff. PT says it will not likely get much better even with further physio and has strongly recommended MUA.
It's unlikely that your surgeon will consider an MUA with the numbers that you have, and an MUA seldom does anything to help with extension anyway.

I agree with what KarriB says.
Since your PT has said that further physio won't help, stop all the exercises. Give your knee a rest, with lots of icing and elevating. Let everything settle down for about 3 weeks and then choose just one of the exercises in this article - not the one with weights. Do it gently and stop long before it starts to hurt.
Extension: how to estimate it and ways to improve it

It's only 3 months since your surgery and ROM can continue to improve for a year, or even longer, after a TKR, so you still have plenty of time.
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR

It often takes longer to achieve extension than it does to achieve good flexion. The tendons and ligaments at the back of your leg have probably shrunk over time (particularly if your knee was bent before surgery) and it takes time and gentle management for them to stretch again.
If you try to lengthen your stride while walking, and walk like the picture shows, that will also help with extension.
 
Try to concentrate on taking full strides as illustrated above. I found that when I concentrated on my gait both my flexion and extension increased. I was not doing any exercises at all just daily living.
 
Was at physio and the pool today. PT says my flexion is about 95 degrees and not 100-115 as previously reported and extension is at 6 degrees [extension improving]. Still very stiff and sore with night time pain from knee to toe [often in the 8/9 pain range]. Three PT 's that I have talked to recently suggest an MUA. I see my OS on Wednesday to talk about progress or lack there of and the possibility of an MUA. Being a life long gym person I cannot seem to quit on the exercising. Thanks again for all the positive input and encouragement.
 
@BARBRI
I had in-home PT for a month or so after each of my TKRs. The only time I did the exercises was when they were here! Otherwise, I did the floor peddler a bit, and just took care of my basic needs. Neither of my knees are stiff. In fact, my left one I don't even think about anymore, and once my right one heals for good, it will be just as good. Please consider not doing the highly structured PT program and try gentle stretching and movement on your own. It is totally worth it!

Jen
 
Saw my surgeon today. Getting a MUA tomorrow. Will let you know how it goes. I am feeling positive about after all I have heard.
 
Good luck. I'm so pleased with the outcome of my MUA. Please let us know how it went.
 
Remember to ice, elevate and rest your knee after the MUA to get the best possible results. Best wishes tomorrow.
 
Had the MUA on Thursday. Went pretty well and additional pain and swelling from the procedure is not onerous. I believe it has improved my range of motion,but hard to tell at this time due to the pain and swelling. Will know better on Monday when I talk to the OS again and see my PT.
 
Excellent @BARBRI. What makes you think your ROM is improved? I could see at once that I could sit with both feet flat on the ground ie at 90 degrees. I suspect I've gone back a bit due to swelling/inflammation but I'm persevering with icing and elevating along with gentle usage of my pedaler. Good luck!
 
Oops I just read that you were already at 90 but your problem was with extension. My knee was always OK for extension. Hope yours is lovely and flat against the bed.
 
I should have said my ROM has improved [can bend it better than 90 degrees],but for the moment at least I believe the improvement is somewhat restricted or limited by the pain and swelling from the procedure itself. Should know better once that has lessened.
 
Sounds like you're on the way though. Just have to lose that pesky swelling. My lovely physio got me to 100 last week but said that there was so much swelling that I'll have much more ROM when it subsides. Wish it would!
 
Had the MUA on Jan 19 and so far I am pleased with the results. My knee bend is now at 110 degrees and I am told that in time I will achieve 120. My leg extension has also improved to just about fully straight. The tight band feeling has also reduced and I am sleeping better at night. Going to continue my Physio for at least a couple of more weeks with emphasis on the bike and stretching exercises. For the first time in 3 months I am feeling positive. Thank you for all your guidance and support.
 
Back
Top Bottom