Guest viewing is limited

10 Days Post Op.....so far, so good

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was just thinking that if one and/or both of your knees were not too far gone then you might benefit from Synvisk between now and your surgery date next year. I know everyone has their opinion about Synvisk but I got a tremendous amount of benefit from the shots for about 3 years. Eventually the joint deteriorated to the point where they no longer helped but they helped me a lot for a while. I would definitely ask him about it.

Steroid injections never did much for me. Funny how we are all different.
 
@RMasano, I had become very bow legged and yes it definitely looks as if it has been straightened out. Not sure if that translates to straightening out valgus but I would think it would. You can see the pre and post surgery pictures.

[Bonesmart.org] 10 Days Post Op.....so far, so good


[Bonesmart.org] 10 Days Post Op.....so far, so good
 
@mbrown (and others)
I saw that you posted a while ago that you are bored. Did you realise that we have a Games Room in the
Social Room ?
Perhaps a few of you would like to try some of the simple games there?
 
Just letting you know that we have a Social Room. Quite a few new members don't seem to have discovered it yet.
 
That's why we're here! Post away! :heehee: There's a New Year thread in the social room with some photos of members.
 
@mbrown I am actually very interested in your progress. It is helping me get prepared for my surgery and not be so nervous.
 
I did not get the X-rays. I could ask that they be emailed to me. I also need to get the dates of the surgeries that have been done by this group of physicians, broken right wrist 2 surgeries, cyst in right hand, right shoulder scoped, Morton's neuroma right foot, left knee scoped for meniscus.

I had thought about asking about the Synvisk but I am on his cancellation list and don't want to do anything that might interfere with rescheduling the date. I have been moved to November 14, so that is already a gain of 2 months. Being retired, my schedule for surgery can be real flexible, after the 26th when the metal allergy test is done. They could call the night before and I could go in the next day. There are only 3 events this year where my wife would appreciate me accompanying her but she wants this surgery to happen and will do any without me. One happens relatively early in the year, a cousin of her's is being elevated to be an Episcopal Bishop.
 
I feel like a took a bit of a slide backward today (day 6). Pain was a little higher. Felt like there was more swelling. Last night I took 2 oxycodone 7.5 at 10 pm and didn't take another until 7 am then took another at 12 pm. Was feeling kinda lousy at 4 pm so I took 2. Probably should have taken 1 during the night.

Didn't feel like I overdid it yesterday but did have a light therapy session and also did heel slides and quad presses throughout the day. Maybe I did overdo it, or maybe it's just that recovery is not a linear progression. I've taken it pretty easy today and just tried a lot of ice and compression along with a light therapy session this morning.

This morning it almost felt like it hyper extended a bit when I put some weight on it. It was kind of an odd feeling. Also feels like the clicks, etc are more today and it feels like it used to when it would feel like it would come out of joint.

On a brighter note, was able to take a good nap sleeping on my side today and had no issues with that. Also am not having to use the belt as much to maneuver it around.

It's frustrating to feel like I took a step backward today, especially when it feels tighter and heel slides are less comfortable.

And the dreams........crazy realistic dreams last night. Creepy. Hope that goes away soon. I slept from about 11-7 but woke up in a full sweat a couple of times from the freaky dreams
 
This link shows a healing time table if you haven't yet seen this in the Library.
Healing: how long does it take?
I printed the TKR so I don't have too high of expectations. I would rather be pleasantly surprised.

Hope your dreams start to fade.
 
You're right on both counts. It doesn't take much to overdo things, especially in these early days of recovery. And, recovery is usually not a linear path. You will have good days and bad days.

It is likely that your surgeon gave your some pain medication directly in the incision before closing as that's pretty typical these days. That can be a good thing because it starts a person out with fairly good pain management. But it can be a bad thing when it starts to wear off and people have assumed that their recovery was going to just skate along with little pain. Keep taking your meds on a schedule. You're really way too early to start tinkering with the doses. That's your best chance to keep comfortable and allow your body to heal itself. There is an awful lot of that going on right now.
 
@mbrown Martin, Happy New Year! Wow, your leg looks great! I am so happy for you that your recovery is going smoothly! How long do you wear the game ready? Does the compression hurt? How tight does it squeeze? Congratulations is all I can say. Don't overdo it though!
 
@Red's Mom.......happy new year to you also. On the game ready, I wear it at least 5-6 times per day for 45-60 minutes. Also, at some point during the night I will put it on and run 2 30 min on/30 min off cycles. (It has sone auto settings for this. The compression doesn't hurt me at all. It's very comforting. There are several settings......none, light, medium and high. I usually use low or medium. I haven't used high but based on medium. It would crank it down pretty hard.

Thanks for your encouragement. Just taking it one day at a time and certainly trying to be smart and not overdo it.


Sent from my iPad using broken link removed: https://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=75543
 
@mbrown isn't it too bad they can't leave some sort of time released pain capsule in the knee that lasts for 6 weeks and gradually reduces. Someone should invent one!
 
Wow. Wish I had a 'Game ready'. All I've got is 2 bags of frozen peas in a pillowslip!
 
@mbrown isn't it too bad they can't leave some sort of time released pain capsule in the knee that lasts for 6 weeks and gradually reduces. Someone should invent one!
How awesome that would be.

They kinda sorta can....except presurgery. A week before my surgery, my doc did an iovera procedure.
https://iovera.com/how_it_works.php

They inject compressed nitrous oxide into peripheral nerves of the knee, freezing them. It provides temporary pain management (6-12 weeks) while the nerve recovers. I thought there would be numbness or something when they finished, but didn't notice anything different....EXCEPT lack of pain. During the week before my surgery (when I was not allowed to take any NSAIDS for my knee pain) my family took a road trip to NM and I went hiking (5 miles, hilly terrain) and climbed/sledded the sand dunes at White Sands. I couldn't have done any of this before the iovera procedure, even on NSAIDS. I think this has been a big part of why my recovery has been fairly easy.
 
@Want2hike that's incredible. Being off of the NSAIDS I had the opposite effect. Of course your situation might not have worked for me because I would have convinced myself that my knee was "fine now" and that I didn't need the surgery any more!

They used https://www.exparel.com/patient/about-exparel.php on me and it seemed to work great also, but it only lasts a few days
 
@Want2hike that's incredible. Being off of the NSAIDS I had the opposite effect. Of course your situation might not have worked for me because I would have convinced myself that my knee was "fine now" and that I didn't need the surgery any more!

Ha! I tried to convince myself that I was fine on every "good day" I had from the day I scheduled surgery to the day I had it. Luckily my husband and coworkers wouldn't let me cancel.
 
I wish I had been able to climb the sand dunes.. I tried and despite Synvisc it was painful last May..
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom