Guest viewing is limited

10 Days Post Op.....so far, so good

Status
Not open for further replies.
It looks like you've fixed it!!! Using the app, I think there is a box to tick to remove it. Is that what you did - turn off the signature in the app? The second signature info did not appear in your post just above this one.
 
Jamie, yes there is a little box to click

uacats, came home today. Definitely more pain today than day 1 and 2 but still not anywhere near the amount of pain I was expecting. Had 2 very light therapy sessions yesterday in hospital and another this morning before I left. ROM was 90 degrees and I think -2. Rotating gameready ice machine and CPM machine.
 
Yeah, the knee "clicking" is experienced by many....I know it was something I experienced with both knees; Not surprising the knee feels somewhat like prior to surgery-it's more post surgical stuff now and that will resolve over time.

Returning to work in 4 weeks is a pretty aggressive time schedule (in my opinion anyway); I also had an office job but it took me quite a while to get back to work due to the damage and extent of the surgeryon my first knee; don't rush it if you can avoid it; icing and elevating is crucial even 4 weeks in....

If the MD's were trained and are associates of Dr Andrews they are top shelf for sure!!

Glad you've had the chance to read my recovery posts; soon will be 4 years on my left knee....how time flies!!

Hang in there! TKR is a challenging journey....

Roll Tide!!
 
Today begins Day 4. Yesterday was a bit of a challenge. I though getting home would be great but it wasn't relaxing, maybe because I was in a little more pain. Also, I'm just sure it takes a few days to get in the groove. My wife and kids will be great, but I'm sure there is a learning curve and I feel guilty asking for help. My wife can be sensitive sometimes and think I'm being critical when I'm not at all, it at least it's not my intent. Like when she was helping me get set up for "bed" in my recliner I said, I need my meds, some ice in the machine, some water to drink and another blanket. Well first of all, I HATE asking for that many things at once, but on top of that she's apologizing for not having thought that I needed all of that, which she doesn't need to do because this is all new to her also.

Good news is that I did get a "good" sleep in the recliner from 11-5. I've never been a super early riser but I suspect this surgery could change that!

Funny story from yesterday......My OS is the team doctor for University of Alabama, so he didn't have any surgeries yesterday and was leaving for the NCAA playoff game in Atlanta. My wife and I stopped on my way home to pick up some goods and she saw him in the store. He asked where I was and she pointed towards the car. I looked up and saw him coming and rolled down the window and he said "yeah, in forgot to tell you I was putting a GPS in there also"
 
I am beginning day 4 and am home from hospital yesterday. I am taking 1-2 Percocet every 4-6 hours as needed. This was all that was prescribed for pain post surgery but I also took Mobic daily before surgery and they said I could resume pre surgery medications, which was really just mobic and fish oil.

So my question is, should I pick the Mobic and fish oil back up and what else should I be taking for pain over the counter?

Thanks
 
As for your drugs, if that's what you want to do and they said you could, then do so.

Though Mobic is Meloxicam, a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug which is a very poor pain med.

Is the Percocet not doing it for you? If so, tell me what strength your Percocet is (there are several) and how often you take them (also whether one or two) and I'll see if I can suggest an adjustment.
 
It may not be a very good pain med, but I just had to stop my meloxicam a few days ago until after my surgery, and believe me I can tell a difference in my pain level in both my RTKR and my left knee, as well as in my thumb joints. All are more sore and painful. Maybe it helps some more than others. I know it makes a difference for me.
 
@Ronsgirl - I'm in the same boat as you. I had to stop ibuprofen before surgery. Forgot how much I needed it on days before rain and on cold days. In addition to the knees, I've had two jaw surgeries and Morton's neuroma surgery. So today, Jaw, knees and right foot are aching.
 
Ibuprofen is an anti-inflammatory and if your pain is caused by inflammation it's going to help. I found in the past that it works extremely well for a toothache too. My knees were helped immensely in November when I had a steroid injection (also anti-inflammatory but stronger), but it wore off. :sad:

For some reason Tylenol never worked for me until I had the knee surgery, but it worked well for that.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, Tylenol and Aleve never worked for me. Maybe it will post-op.
 
Funny thing about Meloxicam. I had been taking it for a couple of months and my knees felt great. I was almost ready to postpone the surgery. Then I had to stop it a week before. Whoa doggie-my knees reminded me just how bad they were.

Your recovery sounds good so far.

I too hated asking for help. Luckily my husband got into a routine and started anticipating my needs.


Laura
LTKR 21 November 2016
 
@mbrown multiple pre op threads are ok for different questions etc. But we prefer (and you will too) one post-op thread so everything to do with your recovery is in one location. :)
 
@Josephine, I don't necessarily think I need an adjustment. Was really just trying to get an idea what most do to supplement the narcotics as they start spreading them out.

I was prescribed oxycodone with acetomenophin and they are 7.5. Prescribed 1-2 every 4-6 hours. First 3 days was pretty much taking 2 every 4-5 hours but that seems to be getting spaced out. For example, took 2 at 11 pm last night, 1 at 5 am and another at 7:30 am (before therapy) and haven't had any since.

@Cats my current pain level at this moment is probably a 2

@Ronsgirl........I hear ya on the Mobic. I had to stop taking a week before my surgery and I could hardly walk the last 2 days before surgery. Never knew how well it worked until I would run out of my prescription. I just didn't know if it's something I needed to continue taking post surgery or not.
 
I'm so glad to see you are doing well and on your way to recovery!!!
 
I looked up and saw him coming and rolled down the window and he said "yeah, in forgot to tell you I was putting a GPS in there also"
Now that's funny!!! I love a good surgeon with a sense of humor!

@mbrown .... your pain seems to be properly managed with the prescription pain meds, so I wouldn't worry about taking any NSAIDs right now. As Jo mentioned, they are not the best for surgical pain relief and it's quite likely you won't need them at all even after your recovery. Keep ahead of the pain like you're doing and you'll be fine. You can expect to have a bit more pain and swelling as you are up and about the house more in the coming days. Don't try to cut back on those meds too soon!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom