Guest viewing is limited

TKR 1 yr 9 months out, severe pain when standing...

Oh, yes. I thought it was so odd to have skin peeling off my calf. Just part of the deal. It does go away.
 
@lillibb you may have noticed that I moved the posts in your second thread to your original recovery thread. Please keep all you recovery post here so we have a record of your situation and can advise you when needed. Thanks!
 
No,they just get dry with antiseptic prep and bandages. Just cream them as you would normally.
Obviously not on the wound though!
 
So I just got back from PT...during one of the exercises I heard a 'pop'...so I ask the little boy (therapist) what that was and he says he didn't hear anything. So I ask what could it have been, and another PT says scar tissue. What? It didn't seem like anyone wanted to give me a clear answer. Why does scar tissue make a popping noise? Well that upset me and I decided to end the session. Anyone else ever heard a popping noise?
 
I heard lots of popping and clicking sounds. They stopped after a while.
 
There was also a sensation in my knee with the sound , but not pain. My thought was that something ripped inside. One PT said scar tissue, but scar tissue makes noise? Well it's several hours later and there's no new pain, I'm medicated for the night and all is well. I do thank you for the article, and it makes me glad I found this site. The info here has been invaluable.
 
Had a great PT yesterday! I'm able to cook more and hubby does the clean up. I'm ready to ditch the walker and I'll get my cane adjusted tomorrow. I still have stiffness and swelling and my ham strings behind my knee are tight. I'll do my home exercises today with PT again tomorrow.
 
but scar tissue makes noise?
Oh yes, for sure it does! Lots of members have reported hearing pops during PT or during a slip, trip or fall and afterwards noticing it was much freeer. Our Tim was one @referee54 Tim tell this lady about your DIY MUA!
 
I had scar tissue after my BTKR, and through my own doing, I popped them---they would literally pop and there was some pain, but I got rid of all of those little boogers.

Each time I would feel an adhesion let loose, my ROM would increase and my knees would feel better and looser.
 
I had scar tissue after my BTKR, and through my own doing, I popped them---they would literally pop and there was some pain, but I got rid of all of those little boogers.

Each time I would feel an adhesion let loose, my ROM would increase and my knees would feel better and looser.
This info was great to hear, at least now I know not to be afraid of it!
 
Ok, I usually wear Crocs or sandals and used to wear low heels to Church. Now I'm ready to go back to Church but I'm unsure about my footwear. Should I try my low heels or go for flats?
 
I wore sneakers during recovery and continued for months later, even to church and work. Heels of any kind wouldn't provide the kind of stability you need at this point. It's a good idea to get some new shoes as your old shoes have a wear pattern created by your pre-surgery gait. I found the most comfortable shoes I already had were the ones I barely wore before the TKR, but I really couldn't wear my pre-surgery shoes (especially flats) afterward.
 
Well, I don't know what to think...I called my surgeon this morning to see about pain meds and was told to call my family Dr. My surgeon can't prescribe more meds, doesn't think I need them, or am I imagining the pain? I had surgery on Aug 19 and I still have pain in the am and ache after pt and some pain in the evening. Is anyone pain free after one month? I really wonder if I should go back for anymore check ups with this surgeon or fire him. Does anyone know of OTC pain meds that are effective? Tylenol for arthritis? I can't take aspirin products and ibuprofen makes my head feel like it's being squeezed.
 
It's only been a month! If you're in pain you need medicating. Speak to your dr and take them as long as you need them. IMO it's far too early to stop them, I certainly hadn't, but everyone is different
 
Of course you still need something for pain relief.Call your family doctor. Quite a few people here have found that their family doctor is much more helpful about medication for pain relief.

There is a "step down" drug called Tramadol. It's a synthetic opioid that is milder than the meds you had originally, but it's quite effective.

Tylenol (Acetaminophen) is also effective for pain relief, as long as you take the correct dose and on a regular schedule. The effective dose is 1,000 mg (1G) four times daily, to a maximum of 4,000 mg (4G) in 24 hours. You need to take it 4 to 6 hourly. Look at all th other meds you are taking, to make sure none of them contains Tylenol. if any do, factor that into your calculations of the daily maximum.

@Josephine has a chart that suggests a schedule of taking both Tramadol and Tylenol (known as Panadol/Paracetamol in the UK).

Don't sack your OS - it will be difficult to find another OS who will take you on so soon after surgery. Some surgeons do have restrictions on how much strong medications they can prescribe.
 
Here's my chart which I devised for my first knee. It worked well then but strangely was not so effectivel for the second one so I had to take 100 Tramadol and 1,000mg paracetamol (Tylenol) 6hrly no matter what. The last 30-20 minutes was often quite a challenge but at least I knew it was going to work.

[Bonesmart.org] 1 yr 9 months out, severe pain when standing...
 
I know I can google it but has anyone been told how much their new knee weighs?
 
Pretty close to what the old knee did.


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom