TKR 1 week post op, new forum member

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is anyone else experiencing restless leg syndrome? Sometimes I feel like I can't get comfortable and just have an urge to move my leg again and again! It's happening now and it's making me crazy!!
 
Yikes! Reading this made me so glad I had glue instead of staples! It sure sounds like there is a trick to removing them and many PA's and nurses haven't discovered it yet! Glad it's behind you! Let the healing continue!!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
i had some glue too. Think my experience was unique from what I read. I think my nurse just wasn't good at it. My GP got them out easy peasy. Here's to our recovery!!!
 
Restless leg is the worst. One of my co-workers told me an old wives tale... wear socks to bed and put a skinny bar of soap in the socks! She swears by it... haven't tried it yet, but when it hits it is worth a shot.
 
@Nana moon 27 and @Angel1978 both have restless legs. Let your OS or GP know, they can help you with restless legs.
My husband gets leg cramps we keep a bar of soap in the bed, the one time I forgot to put the soap in the bed, he had horrible cramps. May be a wives tale, but I am not taking that chance again. Hadn't heard about soap for restless legs, but hey why not.
 
@mimi_frog ... you have to try the bar of soap in your bed!!! I was going out of m mind tonight with restless leg, so I got up and grabbed a new bar of soap and stuck it inside the foot of my bed....gone!! Try it and let me know.
 
I had a really bad night. It started in the early evening. I couldn't seem to get comfortable and kept feeling like I needed to change positions and move my knee. I was feeling stiff so I did some gentle stretching and some light PT. My knee started aching to the point it made me queasy. I had to lay down and the restless leg started. It was awful. My incision was super sensitive and even having a sheet on it was uncomfortable. Moving hurt, but I felt like I had to move it. What a catch 22!!!!
I think I over did it. I went to the market with my husband and did a lot of walking. I was feeling good, but about 2 hours after we got home it started. I also didn't eat that well so that may have contributed to it.

I feel better this morning. Icing and resting is all I'm going to do today. My husband was supposed to go back to work today but is staying home after last night's issues. He doesn't feel right leaving me. I do feel better, but he says he would be worried all day.

I'm definitely going to try the soap!! Thanks!!:sleep:
 
I have it. I can't sleep I move a lot. And body jerks.

Haven't heard of the soap. May try it.

I take requip which is rompinrole. It seems to help. Xxx good luck.


FaithMitchmommy
PKR December.1,2014
TKREV MARCH.2,2015
 
Are you still taking pain meds? Sounds like you need them, as needed, when you over do it. I took mine, as needed, for about 3 months.

I'm just about 11 months post-op and still have restless leg issues! I'm definitely going to try the soap trick (never heard of that!) and will speak to my OS at my follow up this month.

Good luck! I'm confident that within a few months you will be VERY happy you had the surgery, like I did. I'm hoping to have my other knee done within a year or so, so that it feels as good as my NEW one does!
 
@mimi_frog isnt it sad that a silly little thing like the market can set us back....I went to dinner with friends Friday night *4weeks post op**, and I felt like I paid for it all weekend...increased swelling, which of course deceased flexion and motion...and I didnt walk much, just having the leg down for a few hours!!! Oh to be normal again, won't it be great!
 
Guess the problem is that we think we can do a lot more than we actually can do. Therefore, we suffer and overdo things, I've overdone things at least 3 times so far!!!
 
Are you still taking pain meds? Sounds like you need them, as needed, when you over do it. I took mine, as needed, for about 3 months.

I'm just about 11 months post-op and still have restless leg issues! I'm definitely going to try the soap trick (never heard of that!) and will speak to my OS at my follow up this month.

Good luck! I'm confident that within a few months you will be VERY happy you had the surgery, like I did. I'm hoping to have my other knee done within a year or so, so that it feels as good as my NEW one does!

I am still taking my pain meds - 5/325 every 6 hours. I still feel I need it to keep on top of the pain, although I think I can probably start tapering off in a week or 2.

Thanks for the encouraging words! I'm hopeful that I'll feel the same way, but sometimes it's hard to see the end during the dark times. One day at a time!
 
Oh, I remember the dark times very well....but you'll get there! Feel free to read my thread (in my signature) to see the ups and downs I had. Heck, I still have them! But every day is STILL better than I was pre-surgery.
 
@mimi_frog isnt it sad that a silly little thing like the market can set us back....I went to dinner with friends Friday night *4weeks post op**, and I felt like I paid for it all weekend...increased swelling, which of course deceased flexion and motion...and I didnt walk much, just having the leg down for a few hours!!! Oh to be normal again, won't it be great!

Normal would be awesome, wouldn't it???? :) Hope you had a nice time - it must have felt great to get out!!
 
Oh, I remember the dark times very well....but you'll get there! Feel free to read my thread (in my signature) to see the ups and downs I had. Heck, I still have them! But every day is STILL better than I was pre-surgery.

I absolutely will check out your thread! It sounds like we have a similar journey, being so young. Thank you!
 
I've had achy legs at night for years. Stretching after exercising helped to a degree, stretching in the middle of the night not so much. Potassium is often suggested but recently I learned about magnesium. My diet had been seriously low in magnesium and a very small amount to just bring it up to suggested levels seems to help. I have asthma and it really helps me get through wheezing spells as well. Watch out, more magnesium isn't exactly benign stuff - it causes 'urgent' elimination.
 
The last 2 nights have brought a similar experience - very little to no pain at bedtime, but intense pain at 4:30 am. More of a deep ache and throbbing. I tell ya, this recovery keeps me on my toes for sure!

Went to outpatient PT, really liked my therapist. She focused on form of my exercises and made some adjustments so I can strengthen my quads and hips, which are really weak. I definitely feel this. She said my hamstrings are strong. She also manipulated my kneecap and worked on my straightening. I go again this morning.

I also drove a few miles with my husband in the car. It is great to know I can do that - it's not the most comfortable so I don't think I'm quite ready, but it feel good to drive!! Hopefully by the end of next week, I can drive myself to PT!
 
Could use some advice. I'm 4 weeks post op. Has anyone started decreasing their pain meds? I feel I still need them, every 6-7 hours and definitely need them at night. When did you start decreasing, how did you make the decision to switch to Tylenol?

Also, my night pain is driving me crazy. I'm hardly sleeping, I'm up every 2 hours and the pain gets intense around 4 am. I tried Tylenol PM last night and it didn't work. I would kill for some relief.
 
If you feel you need them every six to seven hours, that's a good adjustment to make. I switched to Tylenol during the day first, because I didn't want my nights disrupted.


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005

My comments on this website are provided for informational purposes only and are not a substitute for advice from your personal physician or surgeon.
 
I still take pain meds during the day (codeine and paracetamol) l take my last codeine at 9pm and then nothing until 6am. If l wake up,in pain, I'll ice rather than take codeine. However, I've only cut this dose out in the last week or so.

You may need to take a stronger painkiller than Tylenol to get you through the night.
 
I still take pain meds during the day (codeine and paracetamol) l take my last codeine at 9pm and then nothing until 6am. If l wake up,in pain, I'll ice rather than take codeine. However, I've only cut this dose out in the last week or so.

You may need to take a stronger painkiller than Tylenol to get you through the night.

I'm taking my oxycodone every 7 hours. I took a shot with the Tylenol PM hoping that would keep me asleep. Boy was I wrong! :mcoffee:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom