TKR 1 week post op, new forum member

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had BTKR May 16 with all kinds of crazy pains in thigh area, in the calf and now sometimes in my shin.
But all in all making progress. And I know you will get through this too. I can't wait to read more updates.
 
The staples are out! My GP got the rest out no problem. I'm guessing my nurse wasn't very good at it.

Such a good feeling when the staples are finally out. Most of my incision area was numb, I only felt a slight tugging, but I didn't watch.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
 
@mimi_frog The PT pretty much feels like its my hamstring and pain at the joint where the outside of the knee and tibia meets. I forgot the medical name. I go into spasm which is very painful. I have some fluid at the knee itself but very little elsewhere. You are right, the doctor makes the ultimate decision and I see him on Thursday, the same day as the staples come out. (Can't wait, I will make sure I take my pain meds before I go). In the meantime, I massage like a crazy woman, ice like a polar bear and walk to take the pressure off. Today went by fast. Let's hope Wednesday goes as quickly!!:fasthorse:
 
@momweb sending good vibes your way for your staple removal!! Take your pain meds 30 minutes before! I'm finding the days go by fast, everything seems to take a long time to do, so accomplishing things takes time! My husband and I feel like we run out of time during the day.

I actually slept 6 straight hours - aided by a Benadryl. I woke up in a lot of pain, but 6 blissful hours of uninterrupted sleep! Ahhhhh! Since my staples are out, I'm setting up my outpatient PT today.

This is, withou a doubt, the hardest thing I've ever done. Recovery has been an emotional and physical roller coaster. Lots of tears, and lots of little victories. I thought I prepared..... I'm slowly regaining some independence and able to get things on my own, etc. that part has probably been the most difficult. Being almost completely helpless. I'm just try to take it day by day.
 
@mimi_frog Wow, 6 hours straight of sleep! That's incredible. I was excited the night I got 3. When my allergies kicked in the spring I took Benedryl and that helped me sleep. I should try that to help me sleep now.

I so agree, how long it takes to do things. Just getting dressed takes longer than usual. I'm hoping to shower tomorrow for the first time in 3 weeks. I'm still taking pain meds every 4 hours. If I don't it gets unbearable, so it's not worth it. The Dilaudid does well for about 3 hours, but I'm looking for something for that last hour. That's usually when I ice to try and hold off. Then I walk around taking my mind off the discomfort. A crazy system but it seems to work, for now.

The spasms in the hamstring seem a little better today with the stretching but I can't sit with my leg outstretched. I need to keep my leg bent. But even then, I don't last long. You are right, I wasn't ready for the ups and downs. But it will pass and things will get better over time.

You are young, are you working? I am a retired elementary school teacher. I retired one year ago. So, my time is my own. What about you?
 
Mimi....so happy you are staple free, but bothered by the ineptness of that nurse you had! No excuse for what you had to go through with her trying to remove your staples. You might want to report that back to the agency, as they (and future patients who might have to deal with her) deserve your feedback.

Recovery can be trying at times....it is not a simple thing for most people. But, in the end you'll be rewarded with a better functioning knee. So keep you eyes on the prize and do as you're doing...one day at a time. If you post your daily updates here on your recovery thread and then go back and review them every week or so (no more often than weekly!) you'll find out how far you've really come in a month or two. It takes at least that long for all the inflamed tissues to settle and give you a chance to experience more good days.

Hang in there!!!
 
Mimi, what Jamie said!!! Seriously, there is just no way to rush this recovery---the tissues have to heal and they take their own time about it. I over did once---and I was in agony that evening---I just could not believe that doing a little too much could cause that amount of pain. The OS also told me that I was stressing a joint that was trying to heal, thereby stressing my tendons and muscles as well. I learned my lesson---hope you learn yours without the actual pain!!!
 
Thanks ladies for the great advice! Focusing on doing my PT and relaxing with ice is what I'm trying to do. I've had 2 nights of pretty good sleep so I think I'm on the right path with my activity level. I'll try to remember about overdoing it!!!

I'm still a little swollen in my ankle and foot. My calf is a bit tender, but a million times better than its been. :yes!:
 
@mimi_frog Wow, 6 hours straight of sleep! That's incredible. I was excited the night I got 3. When my allergies kicked in the spring I took Benedryl and that helped me sleep. I should try that to help me sleep now.

I so agree, how long it takes to do things. Just getting dressed takes longer than usual. I'm hoping to shower tomorrow for the first time in 3 weeks. I'm still taking pain meds every 4 hours. If I don't it gets unbearable, so it's not worth it. The Dilaudid does well for about 3 hours, but I'm looking for something for that last hour. That's usually when I ice to try and hold off. Then I walk around taking my mind off the discomfort. A crazy system but it seems to work, for now.

The spasms in the hamstring seem a little better today with the stretching but I can't sit with my leg outstretched. I need to keep my leg bent. But even then, I don't last long. You are right, I wasn't ready for the ups and downs. But it will pass and things will get better over time.

You are young, are you working? I am a retired elementary school teacher. I retired one year ago. So, my time is my own. What about you?

I am young for TKR - I was bone on bone and experiencing so much pain, cortisone didn't work and with the valgus deformity, my activity level was seriously impacted and I just couldn't live the life I wanted to. Too young to feel so old. So, here we are. I've had moments of "why did I do this????" But hopeful that the outcome will be bright! I'm working as a General Manager for a women's athletic company. They've been wonderful and I have plenty of time to heal.

How did the removal go? Hopefully pain free!
 
Prayers is with u. Xxx


FaithMitchmommy
PKR December.1,2014
TKREV MARCH.2,2015
 
This is, withou a doubt, the hardest thing I've ever done. Recovery has been an emotional and physical roller coaster. Lots of tears, and lots of little victories. I thought I prepared..... I'm slowly regaining some independence and able to get things on my own, etc. that part has probably been the most difficult. Being almost completely helpless. I'm just try to take it day by day.

Thanks for articulating this, @mimi_frog! This certainly jibes with my experience. For the last hour, a good friend has been here, putting away groceries, sweeping, refilling my ice machine with ice, moving my CPM onto the bed for later . . . while I lie here with ice on my sore knees, thanking her and vowing to pay her back. I'd do it for any of my friends in a heartbeat, but it's difficult to on the receiving end of so much help and kindness from loved ones. Anyhow, thanks for reminding me and all of us that this is a very difficult undertaking, and we are midway there.
 
@mimi_frog Staple removal was pain free and quick!:egypdance:I was prepared for the worse especially with Laurie, the nurse said she had only done it once before. But she was great! I asked for no steri strips since I react to the adhesives terribly. So, instead to protect the incision from germs they covered it with an ace bandage which can be removed when I am home, but the incision needs to be covered if I leave the house. I was able to shower today, which was heaven! My flexion in the office was 103, very little swelling and they were very pleased. As for the spasms, they gave me Valium to try. I saw the APRN today and I was leaving saw the surgeon. He said he did a lot of cleaning out where I am in pain. He said a lot of times the spasms are caused by the tightness of the muscles and tendons, in my case the hamstring. Keep up the stretching, ice and the Valium. I see him in 4 weeks. He was very pleased. As for me, I feel like I've lived 3 days in one. I'm exhausted!!:tiredwheel:Time for some much needed uninterrupted sleep.:sleep:I should be so lucky!
 
@momweb I think I took a 20 minute shower the first time, just in heaven letting the water run over me!

Good to hear you're doing well!
 
Saw my PT today - last appointment before I start outpatient on Tuesday. He was very impressed with my progress. I've been diligent with my exercises, icing and rest. Glad to hear it's working.
I actually did 1 set of stairs in constant motion. No stopping. Couldn't believe it. Am a little tight in my knee tonight, so just icing and relaxing.
Still have some swelling in my ankle and calf. Keeping it elevated and doing my stretches. I'm also sleeping pretty well. We actually bought a new bed after several nights of waking up in tears and pain. It's still a little lonely, but I'm not feeling the despair I was. Trying to celebrate the victories and do things I love.
 
Well done, @mimi_frog !
You're making good, steady progress. :yes!:
It's a good idea to celebrate all the little victories.
 
Your progress sounds great. Just be careful--when you start feeling good is just the time that you will overdo it and make the knee swell. Swelling is the knee's message to us to elevate, rest and ice.
 
Your progress sounds great. Just be careful--when you start feeling good is just the time that you will overdo it and make the knee swell. Swelling is the knee's message to us to elevate, rest and ice.
So true! After weeks of rating, it's so tempting to push it. I'm really trying to take it easy and be smart. My knee is stiff, and the swelling hasn't gotten worse.

Had some friends over yesterday, which was awesome. Today will be a light day - some PT and a drive with my husband. He goes back to work tomorrow so I'm on my own!! :holysheep: I think I'll be ok!
 
Hi. Just read your thread. Glad you've got the calf issues under control. Sounds like you're doing really well overall. I'm 10 days behind you in recovery - my hubby goes back to work tomorrow as well so I'll be on my own for part of the day too for the first time - parents are coming over for a few hours to make sure I'm behaving myself! Good luck and looking forward to continuing to hear about your journey.
 
Yikes! Reading this made me so glad I had glue instead of staples! It sure sounds like there is a trick to removing them and many PA's and nurses haven't discovered it yet! Glad it's behind you! Let the healing continue!!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom