Guest viewing is limited

High Tibial Osteotomy 1 week after op<

Is it normal to get a stabbing like feeling like lots of little needles near wound site
 
I very aggressively lotioned and conditioned my hands this time while I am using a walker, as the first time around I got some painful callouses on the heels of my hands from being non-weight bearing. Took a lot of work and lotion and even filing gently to get those callouses off once I was off the walking frame, I didn't want them to come back! So in addition to your gloves and any other padding you have, are you using lotion - a good quality type that is very protective? something like Udder Balm or Silicone Glove in the blue bottle - more expensive, but seems to work much better, as well. If you're allowed to medically, you might try doing that and seeing if it helps you.
 
Is it normal to get a stabbing like feeling like lots of little needles near wound site
It sounds like you're having what we call zingers. They are nerves reattaching. Unfortunately, they can hit off and on for months. They are quite common and shouldn't be anything to worry about.
 
Thanks. That’s a positive so I can cope with knowing there mending. My lower leg opposite side to operation is numb do you know will the numbness go or am I stuck with it xxx
 
I still have some numb spots on both of my knees from all the surgeries. Yours may disappear after a few years, and maybe not.
 
Thanks sistershin better get used to it then
 
Immobiliser leg brace causing bruising is this normal
 
Seriously needing help. Fell today and put my weight on my bad leg shooting pain for a few minutes but wore off. Just mild ache now but looks like knee is more swollen. Do you think I have knackered my HTO up
 
I’m sorry you fell, I think that’s one of the biggest fears we all have. :santa hug:

I am going to tag @Josephine
our forum administrator and nurse director to address your concerns.
 
Thanks jockette really panicking because I’m not supposed to be weight bearing. I’m so scared this will set me back I can’t go through this all again I really can’t
 
Hi Purr,
I'm so sorry you fell and were hurt. Please consider calling the office of your OS
one of the surgeons, or their PA, should be on call. I'm sure through a series of questions they'll be able to offer you reassurance or advise you to go to A&E. Please try not to worry, just call and let them advise. If you're not comfortable calling at this hour, I'd ice, rest, and call first thing in the morning.
We're here for you and we'll be checking in on you.
Hugs and prayers all is well.
 
Purr,
I agree with Layla, give the surgeons office a call.
Your soft tissue is not happy after the fall, and can cause the swelling. Glad the pain has gone down.
 
I agree. Please call your doctor. :console2::prayer:
 
In the UK, I don't think a patient can just call the surgeon at all hours of the day or night like they do here in the US. So, @Purr .... I'm going to recommend that you go the A&E and get checked out to be sure your fall didn't cause problems with your leg. If it's possible to call them first, I would do that. But in the end someone is going to need to take some images to be sure everything is all right. Please let us know how things go!

Jo is not well herself and may or may not be back on the forum quickly enough to respond to your emergency. But I would certainly hope the A&E would accept that a fall after this type of procedure is adequate reason for them to see you.

Then, as soon as possible (probably Monday) let your surgeon know what has happened, even if everything checks out fine in A&E.
 
Rang A&E. Advised me to ice and elevate and ring my surgeons secretary tomorrow. Pains not too bad with pain killers but knee keeps swelling . Managed with a lot of help from my other half, had a nice shower, amazing how much better that makes you feel. Thanks guys for being here, think I would have lost it. Let you know how I get on tomorrow
 
Purr,
Thanks for the update, glad we were able to help you keep calm.
 
Purr, I'm so sorry I wasn't here to pick up on your situation. But don't worry. It's unlikely you'll have done anything serious to your knee. Your osteotomy will be well and strongly fixed with a plate and screws and it would take some impact to cause any serious damage. But the obvious result that you have caused some swelling and pain is obvious though it doesn't indicate anything serious. Just elevate, ice and take the max of your pain meds and see what your surgeon says in the morning. I'm sure we'll all be looking out for your next post!
 
Back
Top Bottom