Our health is such an important investment---I know I too often take it for granted, and don't always do the things I should to maintain it.
@goblue61---Prior to my back surgery 9+ years ago I did everything under the sun to address the pain and try to avoid surgery---After over a year and a half of many different treatments( acupuncture, massage, chiropractors, spinal decompression, pain shots, physical therapy, etc. ) I asked my surgeon what he felt my options were and being the droll man that he was, he said I had two options....have the surgery, or live with the pain;) I had the surgery, knowing I had tried everything else possible, and it was my only, and best option. I think when we are looking at a major surgery it does give us peace of mind to know we have tried everything possible first.
This time, when I went to the doctor for my hip, I thought I would also be looking at a number of options. Instead I was told surgery was the only real option, but there were some things I could do in the interim to manage pain. I did small doses of tramadol, tylenol, ice, pillows, "bed of nails"floor mat, acupuncture, massage, cbd capsules, pain injections, assorted topical creams, and various execercises. And, like you, I went on an incredibly exciting, and phenomenally painful trip to Europe. I went with my son and his wife on a multi-country trip to Europe. We were in each country only 2-5 days, and so while we were there, we had to make the most of the time. One day I logged nearly 20,000 steps on my Fitbit, and I think I felt every one of them....and not in a good way.

Another day I made a trek several miles up a steep path to a monastery near where my ancestors had lived----by the time I reached the top----I was both proud I had made it, and in tears with the pain. So many highs and lows on that trip. But it made it easier when I got home to go right in for my surgery!
Where did you go in Italy? My all-time favorite trip was to Italy---Rome, Pompei/Naples, Florence, and San Gimignano/Chianti/Tuscany. I would love to go back--luckily I was able to do that trip without failing body parts

.
This November, about 3 1/2 months after my replacement, I went to the Dominican Republic for 2 weeks. It was night and day compared to my painful hip trips. I had no trouble at all, and am sure you'll be travel ready before you know it!!