Recovery pain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kjones

new member
Joined
Mar 24, 2012
Messages
14
Age
55
Location
United States
Gender
Female
I am 6½ weeks out from a THR. I am having pain that feels muscular. Lots of tightness also. My lower back is killing me when I stand for any length of time. Hoping this is all normal. Is this normal? How long does it typically last? Thanks
 
Hi and welcome to BoneSmart! Don't worry, it's all very normal. But it does sound as if you are not quite on track with your pain management and progress of activity.

Here's some articles from the Library for you to read which should address your questions and help you more
Pain management and the pain chart
How Long Does Healing Take ......
Chart representation of THR recovery
Energy Drain for THRs
Elevating your leg to control swelling and pain
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Some suggestions for home physio (PT) and activity progress
 
Hi Jonesy

A stiff back is something I sufferedfrom for quite a while after my op, It was about the 7-8 month mark before I seen an improvement.
I still suffer for a stiff back when I sit to long at the computer in the work.

Billy
 
I'm 8 weeks out and the overall body stiffness is just starting to ease up. I haven't had much pain in my leg for a few weeks, but everyone is different. My feeling is that if your doctor isn't concerned, it's probably just the way your body is healing. We all heal at our own rates.

Welcome to the board. :-)

Dorothy
 
Hi Jonesy,

It's difficult to give you any support or advice as you don't quantify your pain as in the Hospital scale 1 = no pain 10 = absolute agony.
I think we ALL have some pain( mostly muscular) throughout the recovery but manage it before it becomes 7,8, 9 etc. with different cocktails of meds.

How bad is your pain??

Let us know and then we can hopefully help.

Charlie
 
I guess the pain stays about a constant 5 or so. I can control it with aleve and sometimes a pain pill at the end of the day. I have just gone back to work and I am sure that plays a role in this. I was in such pain before the surgery and hadn't thought much about the recovery. I'm just tired and sore and want to make sure there is a light at the end of this tunnel.
 
Oh you guys and your Aleve! :DOH: The advertisers have really done a number on you. Can I tell you that ibuprofen (Aleve, Advil) is actually quite a mild pain killer. It's an NSAID, primarily an anti-inflammatory drug. It is certainly totally inadequate for a 6½ week old hip replacement!

You need to take a decent pain med and the best one that is non-prescription is Tylenol. You need to take 1,000mg up to 4 times a day. Try it and see if it doesn't make a huge difference.

If you really want to continue with the Aleve as well, try this which is actually quite effective Tylenol/ibuprofen cocktail
 
I will try the Tylenol and see how it goes. If I need something stronger, I won't feel guilty. Thanks.
 
I slept last night!!! No sleeping aids. I know it is a small victory, but I am so excited right now. I may be in a fetal position (or as close as I can get with hip restrictions) on my office floor this afternoon, but I am happy as can be this morning.

My PT is a man of few words, but I am going to make him talk to me today and ask about this pain at what I think is the iliac crest? I'm afraid he may send me to the massage room. I got sent there after my labral repair and it was not pleasant but I am willing to do ANYTHING to get better.

Thanks so much for all of the honesty on this forum.
 
It's a great important victory! Sleep is so important and really a huge factor to our recoveries and overal health!

Glad you also doing well!

xxooxx
 
I have finally come to the realization that muscular pain is a sympton of your muscles healing and getting stronger. I am 23 days post op and send you prayers and Hugs!!!
 
Hi, Kjones....welcome to the forum. I'm glad to hear that things are improving for you. Just remember that it can take some time and patience is required....well, patience and some good pain medication!!:th_heehee:
 
..... It is certainly totally inadequate for a 6½ week old hip replacement!

You need to take a decent pain med.....

I agree with Josephine. When I first had my back pains along with spasms, my doctor prescribed a muscle relaxer. And to help with pain I found that taking tramadol would work best for me...better than Advil or Alieve. Even after a year, if I overdo things with the hip, I find tramadol to work the best. I believe it's a mild narcodic but I don't take it like candy, just as needed to get me through it. Talk to your doc about the options for your back pain. Anyway, I had the same problems as well as many other here so hang in there.
 
Your only 61/2 weeks out ??I think I takes a little longer to recover..Im 28 days out and starting to feel pretty good not even walking with a cane:yes 4:today I spent all day on my feet but I'm being very carefull not to over do it even thou I dont have pain!! I still take my meds.Not the hard stuff but keeping my Tramdol very close..I want to come back as strong and fast as possible.So I will use my first 8 weeks to heal the best I can//Hang in there you have plenty of time left to heal right

Donnie
 
Well if you are resolving the sleep problems that's a major milestone. How's the pain level? Better?
 
Wahoo!

Good for you with the sleeping... Zzzzzzz here's to lots more :)
 
Slowly getting back into my normal routine. Back at work and it is going well. I am still so very sore. PT thinks it will get better as the muscles get stronger. I haven't given up hope yet and am so looking forward to the day when I don't even think about this hip anymore.
 
I hear you ... I had that same thought today ... When will I have a day where I don't think about/ deal with my hip?! Sleep will make a big difference. The Tylenol/ ibuprofen alternating is doing the trip for most of my pain, though I still love to ice and elevate after dinner. Do you have a job where you can ice a bit while you are there?
 
That day when you don't think about your new joint WILL come. And, amazingly, you'll just wake up, start to go about your day, and THEN realize that you didn't think about it at all. It's a sweet moment!
 
It takes awhile but that day will come! Actually I still think about my hip but only when I realize that I am doing something I could never have done before my surgery. Makes me smile to walk where I couldn't before. :biggrin:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom