Recovery pain

Status
Not open for further replies.
K-that day will come! Like what Jamie and Jaycey said, it will happen! You are only close to being 2 months out and with working it seems normal to still feel the soreness.

Agree about pain meds, also icing/elevating but maybe try some heat as well on those sore muscles.
 
Thanks for the encouragement. I do have a job where I can ice. I work for a blood center and we have a big ice machine in the back. I can make an ice pack and bring it back to my desk.

I do really well handling the pain most days and then I will have a day where it takes all I have to not cry. Don't think the pain is any worse on those days, just emotionally tired of dealing with it. Trying to continue to work hard (but not too hard) to get these muscles back to where they need to be. I am trying not to freak out about the discomfort and be patient.
 
Those emotional days are more likely to come when you are tired. So be sure you are getting as much rest as possible. It's a real energy-drainer to go back to work!!!
 
Oh how right Jamie is!

The emotions certainly rise up when we have worked long tiring days.

Fantastic that you have an ice machine available at work... That is a big hel, I am sure.

Still early days for you K, it will keep improving :)
 
Hello K, well I think yoiu're doing remarkably well, having gone back to work so quickly. But how wonderful that you've got access to ice at work! Like Sandy, I'm sure that's a big help. I just hope you are able to take frequent breaks from your desk and elevate your leg when you need to. Hope the physical pain is improving now. As for the emotions, yes I'm sure they're normal, especially when you're tired. Do rest when you can.

All the best,
 
K, I know what you mean about some days feeling discouraged that the discomfort continues. It seems like the general public expects a person to be beyond it by now. Today I told someone there was still a lot of discomfort in the evenings due to swelling. He actually said, "you know this for sure? Did your doctor tell you that? That sounds like a long time for swelling.... I felt embarrassed and second guessed myself. But the good news is that we have this board and we know how different recoveries can be and we have so many examples on here of people who are beyond it, so we know we'll get there, right? Keep your chin up and enjoy the weekend.
 
Don't be afraid to ask for opiates. They are the best for post surgical pain and patients with real pain rarely get addicted. You have a right to effective pain relief if you need it.
 
My OS did not want me taking aleve or any NSAID as he stated that inflammation is part of the process of the bone growing around and into the new hip parts. He wrote me a script for oxycodone which I use as necessary with 1000mg of tylenol. He does not use cement.
 
I haven't been on the forum in quite sometime because I have been doing so well. Last week I started getting some odd muscular pains running from my hip to my knee and a sensation that I can only describe as "throbbing." Lots of pain in my groin when I walk and I think that my attempts to walk and avoid this groin pain is causing my other hip to hurt. I am hoping this is nothing to worry about. Any ideas? @Josephine: @Jaycey:
 
KJones,
I had strong muscle aching/fatigue/weakness/I don't know quite how to describe it pain on and off for the first 6 months. After that it came and went occasionally. Most recently, I've had it strongly in BOTH legs, but I'm now back on Celebrex as I await my second surgery, and that totally eliminates any of that sensation. I don't know if you are experiencing the same thing, but if you are, I think it's normal in the first year or so. If it's not normal, we both have a problem!! :) Mine is in the front thigh area, from the hip down to just above the knee. Not bad in the morning; worse by evening. Not exactly pain, but very deep ache. Walking feels like trudging through wet cement. Then some days, not there at all.


Sharon
 
I am amazed that so many of you seem to be back at work so quickly post operatively:rolleyespink:

I was very much encouraged by the medics to be 'off' painkillers, at least by the end of week four........ the first two weeks horrendous with pain and I did not follow the guidelines sadly so did not get on top of it...... how foolish was that?!

I managed to reduce to only one dose of painkillers in the morning/ or bedtime by the end of week three and then went on to having nothing from week four...... have managed but have had, and still do, muscular discomfort when I do too much..... have very odd pains/discomfort at night and a feeling where my hip wants to be stretched out.....

I am still on restrictions and twice a day lying flat for half an hour..... how on earth do you guys manage if you are back at work? I am impressed! Def ready for my two 'rest' periods.

No pain whatsoever on moving and walking but still aware I have an 'implant' and it feels strange and heavy..... do not like the feeling one bit but have been told it will disappear within a few months:rolleyespink:
 
@Kjones: what are you doing differently now? Any new activity? You are still fairly early out of surgery. As Sharon said, aches and pains in and around the surgery site are normal. A bit of over the counter pain meds and rest - then try again.

If you are truly developing a limp go back to using a cane or crutch to correct that limp. You don't want to get back in the limping habit.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom