TKR Strange New World

Best wishes tomorrow! I love my first cup of coffee, it’s the best one of the day for me, so I sympathize.

Denny, I hope it all goes well for you today and you have a smooth recovery. I'll be following your progress with interest!

Thank you all for your concerns and wishes. Well, that no coffee all the way up to 10:30 got me off to a good strong start for the first two REALLY, REALLY rotten weeks. So far, so good. Leaving the house in 45 minutes.

Congrats on your recent 33 anniversary!!

Thanks for posting about your recovery from your first knee. Helps those of us who still have it ahead of us.

Thinking of you today on your other knee surgery. Hope all goes smoothly for you. Keep us posted.

Your being kind saying the 1st 2 weeks are "rotten" :censored:

@Zommom — No no — the first two weeks are really, really rotten; the next two weeks are really rotten, the next two weeks are rotten, and the two after that are miserable. Then, you have entered “short term recovery, and things kind of start to get better a little faster. I had my first one on December 10, 2108 and my second one today. So we’re not too far apart. How is your first one doing?

On my way to the hospital this morning, while waiting at a traffic light, it occurred to me that if I turned Left, and didn't stop for breakfast, I could be safely across the Tennessee state line before anyone started looking for me. Unfortunately however, there were two lanes of traffic, including at least one police car, between me and the Left turn lane. So, nine hours later, here I am once again laying in my hospital bed, just relaxing with a little recreational morphine, and who knows what all else. Major surgery has changed my whole attitude toward narcotics.

And of course, I’m looking at my SECOND — newly repaired knee. Which, since I last saw it, has been cut open, sawed through, taken completely apart, re-assembled with brand new, third party after-market replacement components, stitched up, stapled shut, sealed with medical grade Duck-tape, snugly wrapped, packed in ice, elevated and placed safely in cold storage about six inches above my heart level. (I never did like mondays.)

But this time it’s different. Not only do I know in much greater detail what has happened to my poor helpless knee, I also know what lurks in the dark and sinister shadows of the next few weeks. And I’m trying to figure out if that is good or bad. I think it has to be seen as a bad-news/good-news scenario. The bad news is of course, what lies ahead in those next few somewhat difficult and sometimes scary weeks. The good news however, is two fold. First, I only have two legs, so I won’t have to do this again. Second, when those weeks and months pass, and pass they will, I will be walking on two strong and pain-free legs, and that hasn’t happened in ten years.

So I have marked a target date on my calendar, 4 months from now. By then, I should be in fairly good working order, and then maybe by late October or mid November, I will be able to tackle some of our moderate waterfall hikes. There is one really great one accessed by a fairly easy 3/4 mile hike. But then, you have to go down 154 stairs. And of course, what (or who) goes down, must come up. So that one will probably have to wait until next Spring.

So, while focusing on that goal, I will get through these first few weeks with heel slides, leg lifts, ice and morphine, and probably many, many, YouTube videos on sleepless nights. And of course, also by looking for and hanging onto those all-important and priceless day to day and week to week “little victories” (@donnag1108 thank you once again).

Meanwhile, here comes my nurse with some water and a pill cup. Must be time for a little more recreational morphine.

Uh-oh! I didn't see what she has in her other hand . . .

Happy to hear from you! Love your posts.

Now I'm hanging on that four month mark too.

I love reading your posts. What a great attitude you have and you will do well.

, I could be safely across the Tennessee state line before anyone started looking for me.
I had to go in to see my surgeon about 10 days post op and as I looked at all the people in the waiting room I mentally told them to Run, run fast!!!

I hope your recovery is smooth sailing.

You got this! My life has changed dramatically and I have no regrets thanks to my wonderful surgeon. So good to see you posting and hanging on to those little victories. In the grand scheme they make a big difference!

Will follow your progress with interest! Your humour makes it sound easy!!! Good on you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

First morning post-op. Few things different this time. They no longer catheterize male patients, they use a different Nerve Block that wears off much sooner and I really like that because it seems to leave less “ Drug Sludge” in your system. No hallucinations or crazy dreams last night and my mind seems perfectly clear this morning (well, as least as clear as usual), my appetite is normal, and my taste buds are functional. Almost all of this in contrast to my first round. Instead of using staples, they use zips. I actually had what I would have to call a very good first night. The only glitch was my bandage had to be changed at 2:30 AM. The most annoying thing was being awakened again right after that to have blood drawn. Fact is, since I checked in here yesterday morning I have been stuck with so many needles I am starting to feel like a Voodoo Doll owned by someone with a lot of enemies.

I have better than 90 degrees sitting flexion and can sit on the commode without elevation. Heel slides laying down, about 60 degrees flexion, and 12 inch leg raises with no problem. Constant static pain level 2-3 as compared to 3-4 last time. Now, having said all of this, my surgery was over at 3 PM yesterday, less than 19 hours ago, so, the optimism expressed is definitely of a cautious nature, subject to change without notice (as they say in the fine print).

And, as I was laying here early this morning, counting tiles on the ceiling and contemplating such pressing issues as the meaning of life, the Pythagorean Theorem, and why Peanut Butter sticks to the roof of your mouth, I realized something about myself.

I Now have two metal knees. In the process of installing those metal knees, they also corrected my bow-leggedness and realigned my feet, so they now point forward instead of kinda’ sideways. That should improve my gait, and reduce wear on the heels of my shoes. So now I have straightened legs, realigned feet, and two Titanium-Cobalt knee joints riding on premium Polyethelene plastic guides. I also have plastic Patella guides, a plastic lens in each eye, false teeth and hearing aids, and one circuit in my heart has been rewired. Can I be considered “refurbished”?

But Back to my original musings. There are 40 1/2 tiles on the ceiling, factoring in the rows of half-tiles along the North and South walls, and the funky little funny shaped ones across the angular Bathroom wall. I am pretty much OK with the meaning of life and the Pythagorean Theorem, and I think I can reasonably say I am at least partially refurbished. But I have hit an absolute brick wall on why Peanut Butter sticks to the roof of your mouth. I need help on that one.

Google quick fix

Why does peanut butter stick to the roof of your mouth? The high level of protein in peanut butter draws the moisture away from your mouth as you eat it like a sponge soaking up water. Because of the high fat and low moisture content, the butter is not easily diluted by saliva.

Welcome to recovery again, @Denny39
Just as a refresher, here is the post-op reading again:
Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
don't overwork.
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
6. Access to these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?

Energy drain for TKRs

Elevation is the key

Ice to control pain and swelling

Heel slides and how to do them properly

Chart representation of TKR recovery

Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Bob5677
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom