THR Chappyd's recovery story

@Chappyd my goodness, that was an amazing update! So glad you're getting your life back on track, so happy for you. You are seriously rocking this! :cheers:

Fabulous update ... so pleased that you are able to restart things you love after all that time with pain. It kind of makes me feel humbled by it all... & glad to live in these modern times of replacement surgery...
Bet your doggies are enjoying their walkies again .. I know mine are!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great news @Chappyd, I can't believe how far you've come from your pre-surgery worries! I didn't realize so many of you had surgery on "tax day" of all things, so funny. Hope you stay on course and keep us posted. Happy for your doggy too! :puppysmooze:

Great to hear such an amazing update.
I too was surprised after looking at my xrays that it did my feel like I had prosthetic hips:dubious:
Lots of life to live and you are on your way!:egypdance:
Still lots of healing happening so don't be messing this up, ya hear?

@Chappyd
WOW! You're crushing this recovery. I'm a week behind you tax day folks, but it feels like a month! I remember my first THR 6 years ago, I was cruising like you are.

Take good care of that chunk of metal in your leg. Hopefully we all can go years without having to do it again. I'm on my second re-build on this right hip so I have to take it a bit easier this time.

You are getting back into the things you enjoy; dirt bike, tinkering, dog walking, etc. that you couldn't do easily or at all six months ago. These things are life changers!

It is really something! I am just at the beginning of having moments where I don't think about it. I am hoping this is a one time event. I have a friend who had a motorcycle crash around 1990. He was in a race on a road bike. He is going to be 76 this year, and his hip is still fine. That's almost 30 years. Just had his knee done last year, that one was old age. Every case/individual is different. Good luck with your journey this time around!

Fabulous update ... so pleased that you are able to restart things you love after all that time with pain. It kind of makes me feel humbled by it all... & glad to live in these modern times of replacement surgery...
Bet your doggies are enjoying their walkies again .. I know mine are!!
QUOTE]

I am very humbled by this whole experience. We live in what has to be the peak of the human experience. (so far anyway). This orthopedic office I go to has 5 doctors. So far I've had surgery with 3 of them. Shoulder, back, and now the hip. All have been positive experiences, and without them.....well, I don't want to think about where I would be without them.
I was talking to the Dr. about this the other day. I was so apprehensive going into this, constantly thinking about the mechanics of the operation. Being the kind of guy who designs and builds things. These guys rebuild people! And they are good at it! to say I am humbled just doesn't convey what I really feel, I don't have words for the amazement and awe of what these Doctors do.

Great to hear such an amazing update.
I too was surprised after looking at my xrays that it did my feel like I had prosthetic hips:dubious:
Lots of life to live and you are on your way!:egypdance:
Still lots of healing happening so don't be messing this up, ya hear?

I promise I will be good!

Virtual Pinky swear!:yes:
I plan on possibly getting to the beach for our Memorial Day holiday...I will be putting grass carp in the bass pond tonight, riding the ATV through the trails in the woods - all after a full days work.
Like you, I am in awe as I think how these new hips have given me my life back!
Onward and upward!:egypdance:

So how about another update? 7 weeks ago today was my surgery. Feels like it has been longer than that. I really am doing quite well, and I am keeping pretty busy. Most of my aches and pains at the end of the day seem age related, lol. Still a touch of swelling, and now I have a funny bump there, comes and goes depending on how I move. Not too worried though, it doesn't hurt and it's not red or anything. Can't expect everything to be just as it was, cause it isn't! My new hip is shining- no pain. I've taken both dogs on a 3 mile walk a couple of times now with no ill effects. Pretty much doing what I want, except for dirt bikes, I can work outside all day, mow, trim stuff, helped my wife plant the garden. I am so happy I did this.
:dancy::happydance:

Back to work today. :bawl: Oh boy, that was a really nice stretch of time to have away from work. The place is still - well it's hard to describe without sounding negative. Very busy, tons of problems to be solved. My right hand man I hardly saw all day. Seems like we talked more when I was home than today!

I see a lot of new faces here, I had to look on page 5 to find my thread! All you new hippies, hang in there because this operation is so worth all you are having to put up with! I got my life back :dogwalk::puppysmooze:. And you will too. It's gonna be great!

Chappyd.

Great stuff!! I’m a week behind but feeling about as good. I have decided to go back to work at week 9. My job duties include a lot of driving around the airport during my 10 hour shift. I’ll need to work the glutes and hamstrings before I can sit for more than 2 hours at a stretch.

Keep on truckin’!

:yes!:Isn't it splendid...
I get you about work.
Troublesome as recovery could be, makes you kind-of miss the down time !
New hips rock, for sure.:cheers:

Awesome update... and I share the exact same sentiments about work! I miss it when I am gone... and wonder when I can retire upon return!

I have yet to try a long walk, other than out of necessity. Hoping this weekend I can give it a go.

Awesome update :yes!:
Happy Two Month Anniversary!
Tell us more when you have time...I'm sure there's been progress since last time.
A wonderful week to you!
@Chappyd

Thank You Layla!
Life is getting back to normal. I do find myself to be a bit tired at the end of the workday. My job isn't terribly physical these days, but I find myself ready to get out of there after 8 hours. The 6-8 months prior to the operation I really wasn't doing much, so now I have some work to do to regain strength and stamina. Taking the dogs for walks, mowing the grass, working around the house are all doable without any issues. Yesterday I even took my dirt bikes for a spin on the driveway. I am able to use the kick starter with the operated leg, and I can even swing that leg up and over the seat. I was having trouble with that for the past few years. I still won't be really riding them for a while, just on pavement for the next couple of months.
I still have some tightness in the muscles around the hip, and a funny bump that is very slowly getting smaller. We have a trip to Maine in a couple weeks and I am really looking forward to it. It will have a pretty good amount of walking, and I know it won't be an issue for me at all.

Life is good!:dogwalk::puppysmooze:

Hooray for such a great update.
This surgery does give us our life back...makes walking a pleasure .
One of the first things that surprised me was how easily I could get myself over a wide Rubicon ATV. Easy breezy, and it had become such a struggle.
And painful to ride.

Just no falling down and going boom!:bignono:

Last edited:
@Chappyd, remember back to your earlier posts on your apprehension of the surgery? :whistle: Fast forward to today and it wasn't that bad and totally worth it, right?! Really good to hear that you're starting to get back to the fun things you missed! :yes!:

Great work @Chappyd!!

The whole swinging the leg up on the bike is awesome isn’t it?
:biking:
I return to work next Monday the 24th, which will be my 2 month plus a day anniversary. I think I was mentally read to return around week 3!

Keep up the good work!

So My Doc's office uses this app for patients. It's OK, I probably used it a lot before and right after the operation. This is my last message to them about a week ago. I told my wife I wanted to ride my bike, so she told I had to get the Dr's ok. This is how that went-

Me: "So I'm back to work now, driving is fine, so I am wondering if it would be ok to take my motorcycle for a spin around town? By the way, most of the time when I think about my hip it is simply amazement at how awesome it is! You and your team are the best. Thanks for giving me my life back!"

Dr's Office: "You want us to tell you it's a good idea to ride your motorcycle? Hahahahahaha, good one! Seriously though, you are able to do whatever you like at this point; use your best judgement. Have a great summer!"

Just no falling down and going boom!:bignono:

No, no booms. Usually I just go around the neighborhood, about a 4 mile trip with very little traffic. My dirt riding is going to be limited to dirt roads, easy trails, and my backyard track. I was getting a bit old for the MX track, tho I loved doing it. Last summer I rode up there for my 60th birthday, my last time there. As I get older, I get slower- still feels quick to me, but these youngsters pass me like I'm standing still.
New hip means no jumps. I'm ok with that.

@Chappyd, remember back to your earlier posts on your apprehension of the surgery? :whistle: Fast forward to today and it wasn't that bad and totally worth it, right?! Really good to hear that you're starting to get back to the fun things you missed! :yes!:

OMG do I ever. I guess it wasn't that bad, but I slept through the hard part! And yes, I was apprehensive to put it mildly. Scared sh*tless more like it. Laying in the hospital bed just before surgery, I couldn't wrap my head around what was about to happen, really. But I knew I needed to do it. Life as is was no life at that point.

I'll never forget what the PT said when she came to visit prior to the surgery- I was wondering about the technical aspects of the operation- "don't you worry, he'll rip your leg off like a turkey at Thanksgiving." That left a visual in my mind that was hard to shake, lol.:yikes:

It's all good now....:yahoo::dancy::happydance:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Kneelythere
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom