Recent content by Tuppence71

  1. Tuppence71

    THR September 1 2025: a new right hip to match my left

    I dug out my beloved M&S thermal fleece leggings yesterday, and I was more comfortable in the evening than I had been for a few days. They are functional as well as extremely glamorous! (God knows what I’ll be wearing by January if I am in my thermals just a few days into the autumn.) The...
  2. Tuppence71

    THR September 1 2025: a new right hip to match my left

    Three and a half weeks in, and all is going well. In fact, so long as I keep moving I feel almost back to normal - still restricted range of motion, and there is clearly still some healing to do, but as long as I am in motion - walking, Pilates, cycling, I feel great. Unfortunately, it simply...
  3. Tuppence71

    THR September 1 2025: a new right hip to match my left

    Dressing removal all went smoothly. The leg is still very swollen, but the incision is a very neat, thin (longer than expected) line. Oddly, there is absolutely no bruising - compared to last time, when I was absolutely black and blue (and purple, and yellow, and green…). I wonder if the...
  4. Tuppence71

    THR September 1 2025: a new right hip to match my left

    So here we are. Bedtime, two weeks on from my second THR, and I’m feeling pretty darn pleased with myself. Tomorrow I go back to the hospital to get my dressing removed. After making great progress over the last couple of days, I’ll be walking in without any sticks (although as I’m not ready...
  5. Tuppence71

    Depression/post-op blues - open for all

    How? Desperation. I have curly hair, which means no dry shampoo works, and I just felt so utterly revolting. I was told no showers for two weeks, and the idea of no hair washing was appalling. It was actually easy enough just to prop myself up on the sink and shove my head under the tap. Now...
  6. Tuppence71

    THR September 1 2025: a new right hip to match my left

    Careful with that dancing - you’ve just got a new hip! Maybe just a hand-jive….
  7. Tuppence71

    THR September 1 2025: a new right hip to match my left

    Not Sheffield, but not a million miles away. We’re in Ilkley - so the river in the pic is the Wharfe. We live on the edge of the moor, with the river just below us. I’m very lucky having such lovely places in which to walk - these guys came out to keep me company today. They thought I was a bit...
  8. Tuppence71

    THR September 1 2025: a new right hip to match my left

    Ah, last night - #10 - I was finally able to lie on my side, sling my leg across my full-body pillow, and SLEEP! If it wasn’t a one off, and instead marks a return to actually sleeping through the night (or most of it), I am going to start feeling properly human again soon. Add to that getting...
  9. Tuppence71

    THR September 1 2025: a new right hip to match my left

    This made me feel really proud I am picturing the surgeon looking at my femur, then turning to the anaesthetist and saying ‘This bone is in great shape! Let’s go with the uncemented!’ Mainly because the surgeon did cemented on my left because the femur wasn’t in great shape. So hooray for my...
  10. Tuppence71

    THR September 1 2025: a new right hip to match my left

    @Jamie - no, a different surgeon, because we have moved since my first op. First time around I got to see and handle all the different components he was going to use before the surgery (presumably not the exact parts!), so I suppose I had that picture in my head. That’s all really useful, thank...
  11. Tuppence71

    THR THR Posterior - Slowly Healing

    It must be incredibly daunting, getting over this hurdle whilst in a new relationship. You’re dealing with everything being new alongside a quite natural nervousness about putting your new hip to the test. With hip #1 (posterior, left - currently recovering from the same on the right), we...
  12. Tuppence71

    THR September 1 2025: a new right hip to match my left

    Recovery day 10 (I just spent a moment adding up the days in my head, before remembering that as I had my surgery on the 1st of the month, I just need to know the date to know how many days in I am. Brain clearly not firing on all cylinders yet). Things are progressing slowly. I’ve made the...
  13. Tuppence71

    THR Hip number 2

    Hello! Welcome to your recovery. I had hip #2 installed last Monday (01/09), so am just slightly ahead of you on the road. You are already doing better than I was, as I got no sleep at all during that first night. Right now it is all out of your hands - just rest, take the pain relief and...
  14. Tuppence71

    THR A Matching Pair of Hips! RTHR

    These weeks in the immediate aftermath of a big traumatic surgery can be a bit of an emotional rollercoaster even when things are going smoothly. I’m not surprised you’re at sixes and sevens. You are probably going to be exhausted tomorrow - it’s been a demanding day, physically and...
  15. Tuppence71

    THR September 1 2025: a new right hip to match my left

    Yes, I am looking forward to the day I can feel strong when up and about. But for now, I’ll happily settle for pain-free interludes in bed.
Back
Top Bottom