Recent content by Scott

  1. Scott

    Revision THR Revision of 7½ year old hip - post-op

    I think the lack of intense exercise has contributed most to my mood swings. Even before surgery if I missed a couple days without a hard workout my wife would tell me to do something because I was turning into a bear :heehee: Now it's worse because I can't do it at all. We are going through an...
  2. Scott

    THR Going bionic, part 2

    I'm not intentionally disagreeing with @Jaycey at all but all treadmills are not built the same. Some have decks that are specifically designed to be easier on leg joints. It's worth at least doing your own tests to see which surface feels better to you to walk on. If weather comes into play the...
  3. Scott

    Revision THR Revision of 7½ year old hip - post-op

    Got out of the house for a few hours yesterday. I was feeling a bit cooped up but didn't realize how much until I actually got away from the house. It felt really good. Continuing in-home PT plus doing the mini-cycle from a chair. Also taking the dog for a walk each day. Usually about 20...
  4. Scott

    THR Risk of moving femoral stem

    My leg was lengthened close to an inch. The stretching of muscles, tendons, etc., bothered me in several spots. The IT band has been the bit that has given me the most trouble. I've done a lot of therapy, stretching, rolling, etc., over the years and it still wants to act up now and then. Of...
  5. Scott

    Revision THR Revision of 7½ year old hip - post-op

    Great point. I'm going to ask for sure. Don't know why I didn't think of it Monday. Agree on yoga. Too risky. Thank you! I'm definitely not that good at yoga but I find it great for balance and flexibility. I'm not so into the spiritual aspect. Actually, I prefer PiYo to pure yoga. I like...
  6. Scott

    Revision THR Revision of 7½ year old hip - post-op

    Thanks for the kind words, Sunny! I hope to be able to run again someday but easier and for much shorter distances. If I can't run I'll accept it and move on but I enjoy it so much I hate to totally abandon the idea. My days of Ironman and marathons are over, for sure, though. Recovery update...
  7. Scott

    Revision THR Revision of 7½ year old hip - post-op

    Finishing up day 4 at home. Got outside for a bit for a car ride and errand with some walking. Felt good but I was tired when I returned home. It's amazing how much energy it takes to do much of anything this first couple weeks. I then rested and even took a nap then got in the few exercises...
  8. Scott

    THR Made it!

    The healthcare system in the US is a factor.
  9. Scott

    THR And so, I Begin Again

    Same here. My body did things to protect itself and they became habit. Since I'm going through this again I can see it happening from the beginning - and it is - so I am already working on it. I saw a PT a few years ago that really helped me identify specific muscles that needed help and she...
  10. Scott

    Hippies scars - post your badges of honor here: NO CHIT-CHAT HERE PLEASE

    Haven't seen my scar yet but here is the dressing. Get to change it in a couple days. Fourth surgery using same incision area but this is the first using glue instead of staples.
  11. Scott

    THR And so, I Begin Again

    I can't speak for @gullimac but "dynamic stretching" is a well-accepted approach in the running community for getting key muscles to wake-up (or firing) before activity. You can google dynamic stretching but here is one article that describes it reasonably well...
  12. Scott

    Revision THR Revision of 7½ year old hip - post-op

    Yep. You're so right. That will be a big struggle for me. Wherever the limit is, I will try to find it. :bignono: Thankfully, my wife will try her best to keep me grounded.
  13. Scott

    Revision THR Revision of 7½ year old hip - post-op

    Four days out and I'm feeling pretty good, almost too good sometimes. I am walking with very little trouble or pain with a crutch or cane. I've even tested walking with nothing and am able but I know it's too early for that. I just wanted to get a feel for it. I made sure I was by a countertop...
  14. Scott

    Revision THR Revision of 7½ year old hip - post-op

    Highly cross-linked poly is what he told me. I have no idea what that means in practical terms, though. Thoughts?
  15. Scott

    Revision THR Revision of 7½ year old hip - post-op

    Had a pretty decent sleep my first night back home. I fully expected to spend two nights in the hospital but was very happy to come home after one. Got up twice to apply ice packs as I'm pretty swollen in spots. The first few steps after resting are pretty sore but feels much better after moving...
Back
Top Bottom