Recent content by Polarbear

  1. Polarbear

    Home Alone After Surgery

    Concerning catboxes: Before my first hip replacement surgery, I hired my handyman guy to make two 24" tall platforms out of plywood, mounted on lockable casters, Each one capable of holding 2 standard sized catboxes up at a comfortable height. That meant I didn't have to bend down to scoop or...
  2. Polarbear

    TKR Anyone's surgery been cancelled due to Coronavirus

    I was scheduled for April 6 and it was cancelled due to Covid issues. I am now waiting. Orthopedist said November, but since due to cataracts I am forced to take a DMV drive test every two years and will be getting a renewal notice this November, I might have to wait until 2021 because I will...
  3. Polarbear

    TKR A little confused...

    Dumb question, but what is ROM?
  4. Polarbear

    Can riding the stationary bike cause harm presurgery?

    My orthopedist STRONGLY RECOMMENDS stationary bike pre-surgery. He WANTS me to do it every day but best I can manage is about 5 days a week since I find it boring. I also, with his approval, do leg pushes and the kind of curls where the padded part of the machine is below my ankles and I push...
  5. Polarbear

    Anxious waiting for surgery

    I am sched'd for November 25, total right knee replacement. It will definitely screw up Thanksgiving and maybe Christmas. I'm getting a bit nervous because I hear all these stories! I was reassured in an earlier post that I do NOT need a live-in keeper, something I do not want and cannot...
  6. Polarbear

    Left Knee no cartilage TKR pending

    Absolutely do it! I am in the same boat and it dawned on me that I have in large part withdrawn from life due to the unpleasantness of walking thanks to the rotten knees. I plan to get it done as soon as my HMO can work me in. Too YOUNG to be a shut-in, esp when I feel about 45 from above the...
  7. Polarbear

    Home Alone After Surgery

    Just thought I'd add this. When my hips failed 10 years ago, I could barely hobble around with a cane much less carry anything. After hearing about it and seeing YouTube videos demonstrating it, I bought a Clax Cart. This is a German-engineered folding cart that, when unfolded and assembled...
  8. Polarbear

    rollercoaster...

    Sad to hear you endured so much discouragement and uncertainty. Glad you found someone to do the needed surgery. BLESS that surgeon! As Larry the Cable Guy might say "Git 'er done!!"
  9. Polarbear

    Revision TKR Post good wishes for Jo's knee revision here!

    I, too, will pray for her successful revision..
  10. Polarbear

    Must I go to a facility or have a live-in keeper?

    you are all so kind! FYI, I have a one-story house, a step-in stall shower with grab-bars (put in before my first hip replacement 10 years ago, but for other non medical reasons. Grab-bars an afterthought since my hips were beginning to bother me and I was looking ahead). Grab-bar near the main...
  11. Polarbear

    Must I go to a facility or have a live-in keeper?

    This is a knee replacement not a hip replacement. He did my hips, and in all fairness he did a fine job, but his undermining attitude and horrible personality has made me realize that I don't want to use him. I have no clue what I might have done to offend him 10 years ago. He also expressed a...
  12. Polarbear

    THR My recovery thread.

    I think the worst part is sharing a two patient room with someone who likes to keep the TV on, whose tastes in TV are obnoxious. Second worst: the food! On the other hand it's nice having pleasant nurses around to help you those first two days or so. Remember, when you take that first walk...
  13. Polarbear

    THR Swelling

    I had the same problem after my first hip replacement. Used a shoe insert for awhile. My other hip needed replacement, too, and afterward the problem went away.
  14. Polarbear

    Must I go to a facility or have a live-in keeper?

    Nasty surgeon painted a post-op horror story. Hope it's not true, that I'd need a live in caretaker for 6 weeks, or go to a rehab facility. He claimed I'd need help because the pain would be so terrible I'd faint from it, fall and break my hip. I am a very private person and DO NOT WANT a...
Back
Top Bottom