BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. Announcing BoneSmart's NEW Joint Surgeon Locator tool

We are pleased to now offer a tool to help you find just the right surgeon for your needs. If your surgeon is not listed, please let us know and we'll get them added.

Read more about this in this announcement:

Dismiss Notice

Left Knee no cartilage TKR pending

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by oregonlass, Sep 1, 2019.

1. oregonlass

oregonlass member

United States United States
    Hi All,
    Last December I had a left THR and it has been amazing. But the left knee has actually bothered me for several years. I had physical therapy on it about 3 years ago but was told it didn't need any intervention at that time. Now, once my hip was done my surgeon took a look at the knee...no cartilage left. The bones also want to shift and not stay in proper alignment. When it does that, it's pretty painful. But the joint itself is more stiff and cranky rather than the screaming pain the hip had.

The doctor said let's see how I did this summer and then decide when to move forward. I have a lot of trouble going downstairs and skipped some tours of ruins this summer where I knew there wouldn't have been a rail. Going downhill, especially on gravel or uneven ground I won't tackle without my walking sticks. So I'm leaning to moving forward with this and get myself repaired so I can engage more fully in fun stuff while I'm young enough and strong enough to do it. I don't want to lose ground, just because of a cranky knee.
    Any thoughts or experiences????

• Like Like x 1
  2. Polarbear

Polarbear new member

Absolutely do it! I am in the same boat and it dawned on me that I have in large part withdrawn from life due to the unpleasantness of walking thanks to the rotten knees. I plan to get it done as soon as my HMO can work me in. Too YOUNG to be a shut-in, esp when I feel about 45 from above the knees upward. Good luck to you.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Celle

Celle FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello, @oregonlass,
    Since your knee has no cartilage left, getting it replaced is going to be inevitable. It won't improve if you don't, and it will gradually cause you more pain and inconvenience.
    It's just a matter now of deciding when to have it replaced.

This score chart may help you to assess how much your left knee is affecting your quality of life:
    Score chart: how bad is my arthritic hip/knee

• Like Like x 1
  4. Tykey

Tykey Sr Bonesmartie

I reckon 71 is an absolutely perfect age to get mended. But I would say that because I'm the same age, and I get my second new knee on Thursday .
    It'll see out the rest of my life, and allow me to be as active as possible without all the pain and discomfort. I've got about 1mm of cartilage left in my medial compartment, with a few bits floating about and getting trapped. I could have had a clean out or steroid injections, but this would always be a temporary solution and I'll need a TKR eventually. I'm reasonably confident I won't live another 30 years, so I'm maximising the benefit by doing it now!

• Like Like x 1
  5. mainegirl1

mainegirl1 graduate

Oregonlass its your knee.. Not your doctors. There is a chart somewhere here that a mod can find quickly to help you with your decision but from your post it seems to be you feel it is time.
    I had a menisectomy in 1971 of the medial meniscus.. Gone.. I was told I had about ten years before arthritis happened and back then the cure was a wheelchair. I lasted some 45 years but the last three were hardly fun
    I was sitting on a rock on the Appalachian Trail( on a day hike) crying in pain when a hiker coming downhill asked what was wrong and I told him.. He showed me his knee replacement scar and said
    "Do it now. Postponing does not serve you well"

• Like Like x 1
  6. oregonlass

oregonlass member

Thanks, everyone! You confirm my thoughts. My kids live in the country and while it was pretty easy to climb up the hill to the barn for horse feeding coming back down the gravel road was really dicey. Then on my first cruise, I had to skip shore excursions as I didn't want to slow anyone else down. The idea of having to evacuate down 4 or more flights of stairs is very daunting. Think I'll get this knee fixed and ready for the next 25 years. The women in my family tend to live into their high 90s. I want to enjoy them.

• Like Like x 2
  7. oregonlass

oregonlass member

I made a call to the orthopedic doctor's today. Need to talk to staff and discover next step. Dear Hubbie and I had a chat and he is 100% supportive of whatever I want to do. I don't want to waste time sitting on the sidelines instead of enjoying the game. So...I'll be seeing you folks on here moving forward.

8. Jamie

Jamie ADMINISTRATOR Administrator

Hooray for you. I love your spirit and outlook on life. Knees can be a bit more tricky than hips, so just make sure your surgeon does a lot of successful knee replacements (not knee surgeries) each year - say at least 100 or more.