Recent content by oldyellr

  1. oldyellr

    THR Some allowed to drive after 4 weeks, some after 8

    As you can see, it's been over a year since my surgery. I went for my 12 month x-ray and check last week and all was well. The hip is as good as new and works great. The only problem I have, which I had before, is occasional lower back pain. Sometimes I wonder when my right hip will need...
  2. oldyellr

    THR AussieMike returns

    Great to hear from you, Mike! I'm about the same. It's as if it had never happened. My anniversary comes up in just over a week, October 3. I haven't had to fly anywhere, so that's still ahead of me. Is it really a big deal, other than a delay? I've heard where some people get doctor's certificates.
  3. oldyellr

    THR Some allowed to drive after 4 weeks, some after 8

    Yes. No problems with the hip at all. It's as if it never happened. However, when I get up in the morning or during the night or when I've been sitting for a while, the muscles still remember. Also, I still have the same problems with my back I had before.
  4. oldyellr

    THR Some allowed to drive after 4 weeks, some after 8

    Well, it had been over a month since I first took the bike out, but since then the weather didn't cooperate. I can't believe that I had to turn my furnace off at the beginning of SUMMER to keep it from kicking on. Anyway, this afternoon wasn't overly hot or windy, so I took went out on my short...
  5. oldyellr

    THR Some allowed to drive after 4 weeks, some after 8

    jimmy52 , like Maeve said, Oz is the only country I've heard that the insurance places restrictions on how soon you can drive, and I suppose it may be based on how long people take pain meds. In North America most people drive automatic transmissions, so I can see getting back to driving...
  6. oldyellr

    THR Some allowed to drive after 4 weeks, some after 8

    Vida, I never had any use for those exercise bikes, maybe because the early ones were pretty crude, with just a rubber roller pressing on the wheel. However, the ones now, even for $100, are a lot smoother and have digital displays giving you useful data to gauge your progress. I found mine a...
  7. oldyellr

    THR Some allowed to drive after 4 weeks, some after 8

    Yeah, I guess riding a bike is something one picks up early in life. Its main advantage as a form of exercise, especially for hippies, is that it's low impact. But walking is always good. :wink:
  8. oldyellr

    THR Some allowed to drive after 4 weeks, some after 8

    Well, I've been a cyclist on and off most of my life and cycling is the only athletic sport I do. Thirty years ago I was into club riding and time trials and even did a double century. Looking back at my bike log, it's been almost three years since I rode and I'd been slowing down due to the...
  9. oldyellr

    THR Some allowed to drive after 4 weeks, some after 8

    The weather here finally turned summery and I was running out of excuses not to get out on the bike. I got a sore back yesterday doing yard work (digging dandelions), but today was perfect. Sunny, no wind and the temperature a comfortable 17°C (63°F) before noon, so I got out my gear, pumped up...
  10. oldyellr

    THR Some allowed to drive after 4 weeks, some after 8

    Today I went for my 6-month x-ray and OS visit today and everything was good. He encouraged me to get out on the bike soon, which I hadn't yet done because of the weather (freezing rain today). I've had a bad cold for 3 weeks and the last 5 days a really bad cough. Whenever I coughed, my hip...
  11. oldyellr

    THR Some allowed to drive after 4 weeks, some after 8

    You're right, Alex, my recovery has been uneventful. My OS called me a poster child for hip replacement. However, it's so easy to slip into inactivity post-op and I'll be making an effort to get out on my bike as soon as the weather is nice.
  12. oldyellr

    THR Some allowed to drive after 4 weeks, some after 8

    I think you're right, Jo. My only activity has been waking around the house, to the car and to the stores from the parking lot when shopping. I did take a couple of Tylenol and no more pain. It's just odd that the pain started when I was down with a bad cold. The other day I did jack up the...
  13. oldyellr

    THR Some allowed to drive after 4 weeks, some after 8

    In general I've been feeling good. I've hardly been noticing my hip. Instead, it's my back that's sore most of the time, which is where all this started. Because there's still snow on the ground, I haven't been getting much outdoor exercise. It's been years since I've skied or snowmobiled and...
  14. oldyellr

    THR newbie hipster :)

    At this point I don't exactly remember when I started lying on my operated hip, but it was probably later than where you're at now. The reason I wanted to lay on my left side is that my right shoulder would get sore. I have a firm mattress, so I added a 2" memory foam pad, which helped a lot.
  15. oldyellr

    THR Some allowed to drive after 4 weeks, some after 8

    Yes, I'm still here, waiting for spring. The last snowstorm was very wet and heavy because of the mild weather and snowblowing the driveway was quite an ordeal after the snowplow had gone by. I still feel stiffness getting up, but haven't used my cane for weeks. Nothing to report, really, which...
Back
Top Bottom