Recent content by Lgastreich

  1. Lgastreich

    I'm new here, contemplating THR, thank goodness I found you all

    As you have heard, everyone is different. I was back at my mostly desk job at five weeks, very part time the first week, more the second and full-time the third. My biggest challenges were energy drain and focus. But every day was easier. I was driving short distances at about 3-4 weeks and by...
  2. Lgastreich

    THR June 7, 2012

    Just wanted to say thank you to this forum. You've all been a great source of support and advice. I'd like to give back more, but I don't think there is anything I can offer that others can't say with more wisdom. I'm on Facebook as Linda Johnson Gastreich if anyone wants to connect. Thank you...
  3. Lgastreich

    THR June 7, 2012

    My new trip hazard
  4. Lgastreich

    RTHR scheduled right before the holidays

    Hi, Dede, For what it's worth, I wanted to share my experience of going back to work. Of course, everyone's recovery is different. I promised my boss I would be working from home within 2-3 weeks, but the reality was--that even though I was fairly mobile and able to spend some time with...
  5. Lgastreich

    Type 2 Diabetics--what was your hospital diet experience?

    I was newly diagnosed as pre-diabetic after my pre-op physical. They tested my insulin levels several times the first 24 hours after surgery and only one test gave results that were outside of the normal range. I asked for a consultation with a dietician to get information about nutrition in...
  6. Lgastreich

    THR Long daily walks : good or bad ?

    The MTB race sounds like a very cool event. What fun! Congrats on the continuing weight loss. It's odd, never meeting someone, but wanting to celebrate accomplishments with them and stand alongside when things get rough. That's just to say that I was truly happy to hear about the event and to...
  7. Lgastreich

    THR June 7, 2012

    Josephine, do we have anyone on the forum who has pole-vaulted after THR? This might be a fun story to watch. https://www.omaha.com/article/20120920/SPORTS/709209853
  8. Lgastreich

    THR Aloha From The Other Side

    Great news, Deb!!! Turning a corner is a cool thing! Really, he stole your bike seat? That's just not right! :-)
  9. Lgastreich

    THR June 7, 2012

    Hi, Poppet, Recovery is going very well. I haven't posted much lately because there just hasn't been much to post. I think that's a good thing! I'm still walking and usually using the NW poles. (love them!) I've done a little more riding and hoping now that my husband has finished his big...
  10. Lgastreich

    THR BacktoBlack RTHR recovery

    Hello! I'm sorry to hear you are having such a difficult time. I'm tagging Josephine, so hopefully she will be able to share her wisdom with you shortly. You might scan through the other recover posts. I iced my hip, but didn't elevate as so many others have done. I hope you find some rest...
  11. Lgastreich

    THR Long daily walks : good or bad ?

    Hi, raducanmihai! Just saw the post about your MTB ride. Congrats! I appreciate your support for cabbageandbacon. I know going into my surgery I was desperate to find articles from people with THR who were biking and otherwise active.
  12. Lgastreich

    THR June 7, 2012

    Hi, Cathy. Thanks for the heads up on standing while riding. I hadn't thought about that. I feel as if I have decent strength, but stability is still sometimes an issue. It was fun to be in my kayak. I'm hoping to make it a routine again. I've enjoyed reading your updates and I appreciate the...
  13. Lgastreich

    THR Noise Issues - Hip Squeak

    Hey, Wills It's always good to hear from other cyclists. I'm impressed with your mileage and encouraged to hear you say you've reclaimed much of your fitness. I feel as if I have a long way to go--able to do most anything I want, but not at the pace and strength as before. My biggest...
  14. Lgastreich

    THR June 7, 2012

    We were able to get the kayaks out on the lake today. Let's just say the entrance into and the exit out of my boat were less than graceful. But, with Kent's help in steadying it both times, we made it work. We were out for a little over an hour before my hip began to get a little...
  15. Lgastreich

    THR Completed on June 14, 2012

    Thank you for the videos and as @Cathy said, "Yippee" for the bike ride. I am soooo impressed that you can swing your leg over the bar. I still need to nearly lay my bike down on the ground in order to mount and dismount. Have a good week at school and next time I eat ice cream, I'll think of you!
Back
Top Bottom