Guest viewing is limited

THR June 7, 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sometimes, I think I took my good refreshing, deep sleep for granted pre surgery... Now I cherish it because you are so right - I so want that rejuvenating, healing tissue sleep.. never enough though!
 
We were able to get the kayaks out on the lake today. Let's just say the entrance into and the exit out of my boat were less than graceful. But, with Kent's help in steadying it both times, we made it work. We were out for a little over an hour before my hip began to get a little uncomfortable and we headed toward shore. It was a pretty day and this small lake in a county park was busy with kayaks, canoes, sailboards and stand up paddle boards. A few moments of freaky, though. Some of our rivers are plagued by scores of flying Asian Carp--great schools of them come bounding out of the water at the same time--they've been known to injure people in the process. Anyhoo, this lake isn't connected to a river, but we saw about a hundred of these creatures come flying out of the water two different times. One landed very close to my boat. Kind of fun to see, and kind of troubling. These fish don't have any natural predators around here and have become quite a problem in the rivers. I would hate to see them create havoc on this lovely little lake!

I am grateful for an extra day off and the chance to spend time outdoors today.
 
Hey, just catching up with you. Sounds like you are doing great. Ah yes, the first in and out if the kayak, actually kind of comical if it were not a bit frustrating don't ya think? Great you got a kayak in, and hooray for being back on your bike, as I know this is a big part of your activity. Haha, makes me chuckle there too. By the time I was ready for surgery, biking was the only thing I could do. I would get on and off in the garage since, like you said, I had to lay the bike down to get on and off. Then after surgery not as much, but still quite the spectacle. It gets better as you can well imagine. Glad to see you are moving along smoothly in recovery. Cathy
 
One more thing. I just got back from a bike ride and it reminded me of something. Now, of course I know our recoveries will be different and you seem to be more of an experienced rider, but based on my experience, be careful the first time you want to stand up while riding, and get out of your seat to get up a hill. All your weight is on that hip And I think my hip was like " hey, what the heck are you doing?" like I said, depends on the strength of your hip, but be mindful. I actually am still working on it. I am doing it on a non hill area to build up so there is not as much strain.

Later, Cathy
 
Hi, Cathy. Thanks for the heads up on standing while riding. I hadn't thought about that. I feel as if I have decent strength, but stability is still sometimes an issue. It was fun to be in my kayak. I'm hoping to make it a routine again. I've enjoyed reading your updates and I appreciate the way you encourage so many on this site. Have a great autumn!
 
You are doing fantastically, kayaking and riding, between you and Cathy, I would be feeling lazy if it wasn't for the NW, :)
 
Hi just dropped by to check in with you - how is your recovery going? :)
 
Hi, Poppet, Recovery is going very well. I haven't posted much lately because there just hasn't been much to post. I think that's a good thing! I'm still walking and usually using the NW poles. (love them!) I've done a little more riding and hoping now that my husband has finished his big bike ride of the year that we'll be able to get out together more often. I think I can do more but I'm reluctant to get too far from home unless someone is with me. I've gone back to my fitness trainer and am doing overall strengthening again. It's good to be back to more of my normal life. I did notice about a week ago that nearly all of the pain is gone. I don't take OTC pain killers every day any longer, just when the need arises. Today is our first day of cool and rainy weather and I'm noticing that I'm a little achy. Makes me wonder if my hip will be own personal barometer or whether that will eventually subside as well. I tried a little yoga this week and was horrified at how much my flexibility has been affected. Not from the surgery as much as from not stretching regularly for far too many months. I went back to read Elle11 's posts again for encouragement and suggestions. I guess I shouldn't have been surprised, but still...yech! I enjoy seeing your notes to everyone and your words of encouragement. You are obviously someone with a good heart. Thanks for checking in.
 
Hi Linda. I think the goal is to be so well-recovered that you say sayonara to Bonesmart, and you don't have any hip issues to think about, and you only come back on New Year's Eve to party for a little while. Of course, this place becomes habit-forming and it's hard to give up....that's okay too. :)

I hear you on the weather!! Chilly rainy days are the worst for me. My quad muscles tighten up and walking feels like slogging through wet cement.

Glad you are doing well.

Sharon
 
Why thank you Linda :)

How wonderful that you are enjoying the NW. Do you find it helps with your gait and posture?

Hubby and I had a wonderful NW along part of the 8.1 km pathway that meanders next to the beach and on the cliff tops... wonderful!

I hope you get back to more riding as that seems to be another passion of yours.

Cold, chilly, damp weather makes me ache all over... don't like the cold at all! I find that my flexibility is totally shot when it is cold... never mind, it will improve with time!
 
I just read some of your posts. Wow it must be great to be where you are. Take care and stay safe. :puppysmooze:Tashia:bicycle1:
 
Hi Linda Lgastreich;

You sound like you are doing so well! Yes, on the flexibility side- I, too, was surprised at how much I lost. Yes, our regular activity/stretching was suspended as we recovered from surgery and it will take a while to get it back. Patience.

I see it is also caution in movement. Not sure if you are also experience that? Even though I had all restrictions lifted, I am more tenative when stretching into a pose. Where before I would stretch to the point of "almost" discomfort, I don't get anywhere near that point now. Today I just reviewed Jo's chart on dislocation. At three months, the faux capsule around the joint should be nicely in place and we are now at "medium"risk. That is still too high for me to want to stretch too far.

Wishing you continued success in your recovery!

Hugs,
Elle
 
I understand that you want to be able to do more and more. It's just going to be a very gradual return to "normal". But, this time it will be even better without the hip pain! My physical therapist says he believes and sees in his practice that we aren't fully healed until around 18 months. I keep that in mind every time I start questioning if everything will ever work again. Keep doing what you can do and you will get to where you want to be.

Dorothy
 
Hi Linda,

Wow! Loved reading about this woman who certainly is an inspiration. I do hope that she gets that operation because the pain must be insane. I do know that keeping physically active helped me prolongue the inevitable, but the inevitable indeed did come. I hope we can get her on Bonesmart!

You "farm girls" amaze me...look at you on your bike and with your fitness trainer!

Thanks for posting this, Linda and hugs,

Elle
 
My new trip hazard
[Bonesmart.org] June 7, 2012
 
Very cute! Looks like you will have some fun avoiding that fluffy trip hazard!

Jane
 
Just wanted to say thank you to this forum. You've all been a great source of support and advice. I'd like to give back more, but I don't think there is anything I can offer that others can't say with more wisdom. I'm on Facebook as Linda Johnson Gastreich if anyone wants to connect. Thank you for sharing your frustrations and triumphs. I'll miss you and will likely check back from time to time to see how some of you are doing. Peace, Linda.
 
Linda, I'm so glad BoneSmart was a help to you. Actually, you would be an excellent resource if you decided to stay with the forum. You have been through a THR. You know what it feels like. That is the best "wisdom" there is for our new members. We'd be pleased to have you continue to post and help others.

But....we also understand that folks have a life they want to live. So, if we just get some updates as you go along....that's really great too!!! We LOVE our "graduated" BoneSmarties and will always welcome them back for a chat.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom