Recent content by LarryG

  1. LarryG

    THR Anyone been there done this?

    @waterman1 It sounds like you're off the anti-inflammatory meds in preparation for your imminent surgery. That can be a tough period. It's terrific if you never had to take narcotics until now. I took Tramadol and OxyCODONE for a year prior to my surgery. A 50 mg Tramadol is less powerful...
  2. LarryG

    Risks after THR : a nightmare

    You can never eliminate risk entirely. If you have AVN and you're only 24, you have too many years ahead to live them as a cripple. Of course there will be medical advances going forward. It's good that you are researching your options and calculating the risk/reward ratio as it applies to...
  3. LarryG

    THR 8 weeks out and not happy

    @dogmom1960 Today marks 8 weeks post op for me as well. I'm glad you started this thread because so many of us on Bonesmart start getting impatient at about this time in our recovery. I think in a few months you will read back and recall how you felt today and realize that, although slower...
  4. LarryG

    Hip dislocated year after thr.....

    Having dislocated once myself, I can totally relate to the agony you experienced. Now, when asked to rate my pain levels from 1 to 10, I usually say about 3 because I've experienced what 10 feels like. The thing most concerning about your story to me is that it happened over a year post...
  5. LarryG

    Hip Infection Infection, dislocation, revisions, & life beyond

    Hi Sally, Today you turned the corner on a very long and arduous path. To some extent, we have all traveled it. In the days and weeks ahead, I know you will steadily improve and we will be with you every step of the way. Congratulations!
  6. LarryG

    THR Back in pain after 7 months

    @seamoose Frank, you're on the right track. All I could think of as I read through your painful ordeal was, GET ANOTHER OPINION! I could tell you weren't willing yet to consider a less strenuous job and your doctor refused to help you. I had a failed revision and your description of your...
  7. LarryG

    Revision THR Just had my 2nd LTHR, am I the only one?

    @Gracie Gurl When I read experiences like yours on BoneSmart, I'm always reminded of how lucky I am and how so many people have far more difficult recoveries than mine. I'm surprised at how much PT you are doing after so much trauma. My revision specialist has little enthusiasm for physical...
  8. LarryG

    THR Recovery in progress

    Despite the critical importance of healthy weight management, I believe that neither extreme dieting nor extreme exercise are appropriate in the months immediately following a THR. As long as you can clearly feel the difference between muscle fatigue and muscle injury, you can gradually...
  9. LarryG

    THR MajorHeidi is now a Hippie!

    That's terrific! I'm about where you are which isn't surprising since we had our surgeries only one day apart. Those flu-like symptoms do sound like withdrawal. I'm getting this unpleasant burning sensation in my head every time I go about 20 hours w/o any narcotics. I've taken to cutting...
  10. LarryG

    THR Recovery in progress

    I think many of us tend to forget the precautions as the months go by without problems after surgery. I was highly overconfident 7 weeks after my right THR and paid dearly for it when I dislocated while on a boat in Panama. Keep in mind that the body continues to heal long after the surgery...
  11. LarryG

    Assistance regards returning to work offshore after THR

    Like so many things, I think the answer to your question is, "It depends." As someone who dislocated his hip in a boat 7 weeks out from surgery, I can assure you that it is an experience you don't want. This is especially true if you are 28 days away from an emergency room. So, WHEN you...
  12. LarryG

    THR 9 months post op for hip replacement & still having problems

    @canadianlps I just read through your thread and I sure sounds familiar. Both your pain and some of the surgeon's responses were very similar to what I went through in 2013/2014. The good news is my new revision to my failed revision is five weeks old tomorrow and I'm optimistic. If you get...
  13. LarryG

    Revision THR Once more into the breech

    Ok, my next hurdle is one we all hope for: the absence of pain and withdrawal from narcotics. I never took a large amount but I was taking 3 or 4 oxyCODONE (5mg) every day for nearly a year prior to my last revision. Now that the pain is happily fading away, I'm taking far less--maybe 1 50mg...
  14. LarryG

    Revision THR Once more into the breech

    Thanks for the kind words @Maeve ! As difficult as my first revision was, I know others have far worse issues. The vast majority of doctors are genuinely warm hearted and very skilled, but not 100%. For those unfortunate few with poor outcomes and seemingly indifferent doctors, Bonesmart can...
  15. LarryG

    THR 4 weeks post LTHR - muscles so tight!

    Hi Cameron, Welcome to the forum. I'm sure that those of us, like me, who aren't medical professionals are hesitant to give you "tips" because it sounds like your pre-op condition was somewhat unusual. So I hope those with extensive medical background will chime in. I will say that it bothers...
Back
Top Bottom