THR Back in pain after 7 months

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gosh @seamoose - what a total drag! Please do update us on your MRI. At least now you know what direction you need to take!
 
So sorry to hear you had to endure pain for this long. But I'm thankful you finally found out what the problem was and now it can be addressed. Of course, there isn't much to say about how you were treated. Very, very poor and your case seems to have totally fallen through the cracks. I hope things go better for you now.
 
@seamoose, it's a shame that you had to suffer for so long due to someone else's error. I'm also surprised that your workplace didn't put you on a somewhat "restricted" or light duty for a while when you returned after surgery. With all that heavy lifting & climbing only 3 months post-op, I would think it would stress the implant too much. It seems lucky that you didn't have loosening. I hope your workplace can develop a less strenuous position for you that will utilize your considerable knowledge and skillls. Sounds like a neat place to work -- you just need a couple younger guys to do the bull work!
 
The MRI is conclusive! Torn medial medial meniscus, documented in Jan. MRI. Most likely happened during surgery as it was fine when I walked in the door to get THR and I certainly wasn't doing anything exciting the day after surgery.

And even when it was discovered in January, they continued to say "Nothing wrong. The pictures don't lie. Must be something wrong with your back. Maybe you need to see a shrink. Nothing wrong with you."

Last visit they already had the MRI results (two weeks ago). Said must be something in my back. The pictures are fine.

Even the morning I found out, the new doc told me the pictures don't lie - there is nothing wrong with you . I only found this out cause I happened to stop at the MRI place instead of phoning! Every month I went in telling them of the knee pain and I even stated to them it feels just like when you tear a meniscus when trying to explain the pain.

Pain in the knee with inability to straighten was noted the first time I walked 2 days from surgery. I called them that day cause the hip didn't hurt. All I could feel was knee pain.

If you read my rehab posts, my major complaint was the knee. I even put off the other hip surgery due to it. They just kept giving me excuses.

1. Everybody has knee pain after THR.
2. Leg length causing strain - wear a lift.
3. Elongation of bone due to implant is causing tightness in ligaments. They had the therapist physically pushing my knee to straighten while lying on my back to stretch it out for 3 months.

They had my primary take me off my cholesterol drug as they said that was causing the pain.

If you are familiar with this type of knee injury, the knee being forced to straighten or bend is like putting you through torture. My physical therapy went for 3 months like that and I'm pushing cause they are telling me that everything is ok and I have to man up.

Then I was given instructions to man up and continue in the gym with the squat machine, leg extensions, bike, the elipical which caused the most pain because of the twisting of the knee through the movements.

All the while the knee was damaged and they have me eating pain killers like candy till now, tearing it up more along with worrying about keeping my job. And then to find people are holding out with the info that the knee was screwed!!!

I'm just getting madder and madder about all the unnecessary doctor visits, and the pain. If they had listened back in September and checked it out, I could have had it repaired while off or at least treated it and not gone thru 9 months of unnecessary pain. What happened to listening to the patient and acting on that info????
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi PAgal. Thanks for writing.

My requirements to be in this position are 100% and I was given that by the doc back in October after they xray and MRI of the implant.

I had no real bad hip pain to speak of after the 2nd week. Once in a while a twinge or so. The knee has been the terror. And all unnecessary! I've always been quite durable. Couldn't believe the THR was kicking me down so badly.

I work alone on my grave and night shifts so you have be able to respond to whatever happens. I have kept myself in the best shape I could to compete with the younger guys. Prior to the hip replacement I always hit the gym at least 3 days a week for weight training and the job gives plenty of cardio with running around here and there.

The last 9 months have been a struggle and only due to the knee pain and it giving out. Now I know what it is and I can baby it, wear a brace, take one step on the ladder without using that leg. I try to keep the old Army improvise and overcome spirit.

I've had this type of injury 15 yrs ago. I had scope jobs done on the knees. I can recover and be back to work in 2 or 3 weeks (at least when I was 40). if I need to go out and fix it.

I need now to find a new doc that I can trust to walk me through on just how bad the tear is and where. See what has to be done. I know it could have been something worse like the implant or my back or the many other thing that get us and I'm glad to know how simple a problem this is.

I am just soooooo MAD at them. Thanks
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@seamoose oh my goodness you have been through the mill haven't you and I reckon you have done really well to hold it all together. The actions (or lack of) really astounds me and what you have suffered verges on total incompetence I think.
All the best and I look forward to seeing how you go with that knee.
 
I need now to find a new doc that I can trust to walk me thru on just how bad the tear is and where . See what has to be done.
Yup, find someone who will talk to you and more importantly listen as well! The clinic finder here might help. Or is you tell us where you are in the US maybe one of our members on the knee side has a recommendation. Good luck @seamoose . We are pulling for you!
 
OMG! What you've been through makes me hurt. My hubby had the miniscus almost completely torn from the back of his knee too, and I know how much pain he was in. I cannot imagine them forcing you to "man up" and do the very exercises that cause more damage. In all honesty, I don't know if I would be able to let that go without getting a lawyer - but thank God you are finally getting some answers and you can move forward with a new Dr and get this fixed. Praying for you.


2014May5 - RTHR Direct Lateral Approach
Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@seamoose Frank, you're on the right track. All I could think of as I read through your painful ordeal was, GET ANOTHER OPINION! I could tell you weren't willing yet to consider a less strenuous job and your doctor refused to help you. I had a failed revision and your description of your surgeon matched mine exactly: never touched me never asked a question, just pronounced the xrays as flawless. After a tortured year of my life wasted, I finally got a new doctor with a completely different attitude. I now have a new hip and I'm getting better every week. Hoping for better results for you as well. Keep us posted.
 
Thanks for the support guys , I'm going to go back to my primary and talk it out with him ..Maybe he can refer someone to take over . Also he may be able to read the report and explain how bad the damage is and where we go from here . Just need to get a appointment . I'm still still steaming mad about the whole deal !! RThanks
 
Update ,
Saw my primary on Fri. went over the mri said I need surgery and sent me to a OS . The OS looked at the films and checked out the knee had me walk bend all that stuff . He agreed that I need surgery to fix the knee . I had hoped to put it off till I regain mt FMLA leave in Sept but he doubts I'll last that long as its starting to pop now . He won't look at anything above the knee till a year is past from the hip replacement . He thinks if the knee is made right any other issues I have like the leg seeming to tire when I'm walking and I then get pains in the thigh area will clear . He thinks my dragging the foot forward is caused by the knee and then causing sort of a tendonitis thing in the lower quad muscle that is causing pain in the lower thigh .Sounds like it makes sense ?? He couldn't understand why the guys that put the hip in didn't take care of this .
I'm going to try one other opinion on it and also see what info I can find on the new guy . I'll write again
 
Sounds like you are on the right path with a new doc. We're rootin' for ya, bud.
 
Hi Guys , I checked with the company i work for and won't regain enough time to go out for the knee surgery till end of October . I'm not sure if I can continue my job till then as the knee stiffens up the more I use it .By midday on my day shifts i'm limping and have trouble going up and down stairs and ladders . I'm also concerned with weather I'm doing more damage to the knee by pushing on with my job . Anyone know anything about torn meniscus ??? does the damage get worse with use or is it just a pain and swelling thing ?? give me a yell /

Also finding when I bend at the hips to work on a motor or something (reaching like two feet off the floor) then go to stand erect I feel like something gets caught in my outer thigh right around the incision. I have felt a knot there since the THR along with the skin numbness that goes with anterior cut .However it has gotten more painful as time goes on and after a very long day of bending I need to use a object or wall to push myself up right .when I told the OS about it his response was " Thats odd ! never heard that one before" !! Of course I'm done with them ! But no one will look at my hip till a year is up so I''m wondering if anyone else has this type of pain .I do a lot of heavy lifting at work so maybe i ripped something as I was sent back with no restrictions after 2 and 1/2 mts off . Anyway any thoughts on this feeling . I may go to a mri place and just pay for a scan as I don't trust anything the os said after catching him in the lie about the knee .have to see what the cost are . I'm going back to the primary this week and see what they think they are at least very concerned and have seen me for 20 yrs and know it takes a lot to put me down . any suggestions about any of this ?? Thanks
 
Hi Frank. I am confused as to why no one will look at your hip before a year is up? I have had two different opinions about my THR that I had this past September 26th. It has never felt right. I have the catching/rubbing sensation you are describing, but I have it when I flex my thigh and/or externally rotate my leg. When I move my leg it feels like something catches and then kind of pings/snaps. It is pretty painful. It is more prominent when I have a bent knee...like moving my leg from the break to the gas pedal while driving. One OS ordered a CT scan and I then consulted with two different OS's from two different practices. Both agree there is an overhang and misalignment of the cup, but have different opinions on what I should do about it.
 
Hey Moose, I remember you talking about that knee pain way back in the day in your old posts before you disappeared, without saying goodbye.We all come back.Good to see ya bro.Peace.
 
Hi roofmaster ,yea I got sent back to work and everything was a blurr since .I just kept going back to the os and trying to explain what I felt . And he would tell me something else each time but would never exam me . Its been a bad ride due to me walking so much at work . I struggle to get thru the day as the knee must swell a little which causes me to walk with it bent at the knee and then as I push along the quads and tendons start pinging and I limp more which causes more weird pains .I sound like a idiot trying to explain what i felt . Well I found that a mri done in Jan showed the tears in the knee but the os never told me .I 'm not sure why ? maybe it was just misfiled and he didn't see it . Anyway found a new guy he says that the knee is causing most all the trouble due to the way I walk on it .He can get me in within a week but I have no FMLA time till oct . Also he will look into the hip but not till a year from THR.
Hi Calikat , Thanks for the info , I don't know what the deal with the year is ?? I called university of penn and virtua who both saw me before the thr and they will do the other hip but not touch this one . I guess no one wants to clean up someone elses mess !!!
The pain I get is when I arise from bending like after tying shoes .I felt odd in this area since surgery and thought that it was the incision healing as its right there thought time would take care of it . When the day begins its hardly noticeable but on a day that I do a lot of bending it will multiply to the point that I need to pull myself upright as I haven't the strength in my leg to get past the pain point .Once i straighten it will be ok after a second or so . It feels like something is catching .the odd thing is if I''m fluid about bending like doing repetitions it won't hurt only when I stay bent over then arise . i can live with it just curious as weather its going to be another problem down the road . My primary said there is a tendon and a bursa at this spot .The new OS said it has nothing to do with the knee and after the year is thru he would look into it . i'm going back tomorrow to the primary to talk about my visit with the new OS and try to see what we can do about making it till oct or if i should give up my job and go on disability till we can get healthy again . Our economy here sucks jobless rates are high so i'm trying to avoid loosing the job .
On the year wait thing ! maybe this is a N.J /Pa thing ???
 
The one year rule is something that we see all over the country, but not all surgeons go by it. Some will see problem patients in less than that year. So, I think you need to keep looking for a revision surgeon who will see you. In the meantime, you might try a brace on your knee. A good orthopedist can suggest one that may help you get through your wait (if you must wait) for knee surgery. The braces are often not the most comfortable things to wear, but they can take some of the load off your tender knee.

I'm going to tag @Josephine so that she can comment on your latest post.
 
I'm not a doctor, but I'm going to guess that it is stress on your leg from your job. I know I feel thing differently now that I had my THR in Aug last year. I have pain in my left foot all the time now due to walking. I'm wondering if your hips shifted (pelvis shifted) since the THR. Sometimes I think that can happen when one has a THR.

Um, doctors are trained to treat symptoms, not causes. Unless you go see a neuropathic doctor or ND (is that natural doctor?) all you will get is what you got "Here is some pain pills, bye". I went to the ER two months ago for lower back pain and given some stuff that could cause hallucinations. Hello? It was called Baclofin. I didn't take any of it. Why would I want hallucinations? The ER doctor didn't even ask if me if I wanted that medication and of course she didn't tell me that this medication could potentially have that side effect. (The doctor probably know all side effects).

What I tell others is "you know your body best" and you probably have an answer somewhere inside. did you do anything different or new? I'd like to find out about your last question "Anyone know what if feels like to loosen" . That is an excellent question - that I'd also like to know what it feels like to have some hip screws loose. I'm sure it would hurt.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Thank s Guys ,
So the one year thing is something the boys came up with while playing golf while on a conference
somewhere I guess .

Hello Jamie , Thank You for writing . If you look back in my post some time ago I was writing about the thigh pain
I was getting at the end of the day . Josephine had logged in and from reading my post said that she thought my Quads were being over worked . She was right !!!!! without any pictures ,and not being able to see me walk she picked it out .
At that time we hadn't known about the knee injury but she knew that something was overloading the quads and causing the pain .The new OS said that by walking with the knee slightly bent due to swelling as the day goes on I'm overloading the quads and the I think he said something about irritating the Quad tendon ( I think ).And that is why the pain changes .
So why is it she can hit the nail on the head after reading a short paragraph. And my OS had me sitting in front of him , has all the modern equipment for testing and gives me a new diagnosis every month for 8 months. None that were accurate. !! Do Ya think he goes in the back room spins a giant wheel and whatever diagnosis the pointer lands on is the one you get !!! He never put a hand on me or ask me to walk back and forth like the back guy did .The new OS had me walk, checked how far the leg bends checked I guess a pulse at the ankle, acted like he was interested ! Just wouldn't comment on the hip part !
I do have three braces now . The new guy gave me a longer one for when I'm at work .Has a lot more support than the over counter ones . I'm on grave shift this week so I have time to sit and the leg feels pretty good . When I'm on day shift I get a lot of calls and by the time my 7 days are up I'm limping badly .Now that I know whats wrong I'm hoping to adjust best I can not to aggravate it and maybe get to fall with it .It is clicking (knee)when i'm going down steps but not locking up yet .So most of my trouble seems to have been caused by the knee getting screwed up during or around the thr surgery.
and me trying to rehab while I have a bad knee . The only thing he wouldn't explain is the pain that happens when I bend and try to straighten . He said that s in the hip and we could look at that after the knee is done and rehab ed . ( And the yr is up ) . I want to know what it is before I plan to go out cause I again will be out of time off for 1 year so if something needs repair I need to do it all at once .
So its at times barely there in the AM . gets worse as the day goes on or I do more bending ,is worse the more time I spend bent over. And feels like something that is stretching out when I'm bent is catching on something when it recoils . The pain will stop a second or so after straightening up . And the pain can be rated as a 1 to a 10 ,Slight discomfort to eyes watering sharp. Its right at thr lower end of the anterior incision ,the primary said there is a tendon and bursa in this area / The os would not comment on anything he thought was the hip . I go back to to the primary tomorrow actually this afternoon . Thanks for any input FT
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @seamoose, very sorry to hear of your troubles. I hope your knee can be fixed soon. The last OS you talk about seems like a good one. I don't think you should have to wait a year to get the hip looked at.
It's admirable that you have been so tenacious in finding answers. I really hope you get what you need very soon.with best wishes, Gill

Sent from my GT-I8160 using Tapatalk 2
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom