Guest viewing is limited

THR 9 months post op for hip replacement & still having problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh my goodness...you have been through the mill....so sorry you have had all this to contend with ......From reading your thread it's certainly been a saga! I'm glad that your surgery is done and hope the non weight bearing works well for you and that someone will come along and address the issues you have regarding the nerve pain and numbness you have in your leg and foot. @Josephine is the font of all knowledge here and if she can't help..no one can! Do hope everything starts to get better for you soon...Chrissie xx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
@canadianlps , you have been through a nightmare! So sorry to hear this! Nerves take a looooooooooong time to heal. Patience and persistence is prescribed. I'm going to tag @Josephine so she can give you the expert opinion. Another member who has just gone through THR with nerve issues is just starting to see light at the end of the long tunnel. Let's see if she can comment @shrinkette .
 
@canadianlps sorry ti hear you are having so may probs
I had sx at Toronto western too and my surgeon has been uninterested in my pain. not at all helpful. interested to know if its the same guy. maybe we could chat.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@marg34 I deleted your personal details in the post above. It's never a good idea to post your personal email on a public forum. In any case, unless you both feel uncomfortable about sharing your input, we encourage discussion here via posting instead of personal messages. There may be other members who could benefit from the input. But you can both use the PM function in your profile area should you wish to talk privately.
 
Marg34...I actually like the surgeon at TW. Something went wrong and I will find out!
But the dr from toronto actually tracked me down to weeks later on my cell # which he got from my daughter and called me personally while I was in hospital in Ottawa before the last surgery! I would go back to him in a second! I suspect if I had been allowed to do the in patient rehab in toronto like I thought I was booked for, when the pain persisted, if I could have gone back to TW, the surgeon would have found out what was wrong and would have fixed it immediately. I still have faith in the dr.

However, that being said, the two dr I had to deal with here in Ottawa....that was another matter.
I should not have had the second surgery at all (the clean out for infection etc), I am really ticked at that and the last surgeon was just a little ! I still have to deal with him but if everything turns out fine in the long run, then fine, but I am still having to deal with nerve damange and pain from that, plus I suspect I lost the height again that the TW surgeon fixed.

I am hopeful for a full recovery, but not sure if I will ever, ever have ortho surgery again!
I'm just so upset that because of the first dr's neglect to believe I still had a problem and this led to having 3 more surgeries elsewhere, has mad me angry all over again. Thinking about this has led to sleepless nights and panic and depression episodes again just like I suffered in the first year and half until I found the second dr who pointed out the problem.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Surgeon replaced cup
With what? A cemented cup or an uncemented one?
this nerve pain and numbness etc that has affected 3/4 of my foot and ankle, plus leg swelling and my leg going red at night - will all this really come back soon?
Where is your incision? do you know what kind of approach you had? Posterior, anterior?
And for the nerve damage, any idea on what would help to repair it like electrical stimulations, acupuncture, physio?????
It's my experience that such nerve damage comes back in its own good time. Any attempts to hasten it often fail and may even make things worse.
Dr also said the cup liner had slipped halfway out, replaced.Results, huge hematoma at wound site, plus a fracture in the cup.
Ye gods and little fishies! That's awful! When you say the cup was fractures, do you mean the plastic liner or the metal shell?
Something went wrong and I will find out!
The 'something' was in his technique. He patently obviously did not secure the cup in place correctly nor ensure that all bleeding was attended to before he closed the wound.
 
Hi! I'm Kristin I've been gone for a long time. I am so sorry you've had to go through this. I have a damaged nerve. post THR (R). I sincerely hope yours heals beautifully. My pain management Dr. said a nerve heals at the rate of 10% a month. So in my case, after a year it healed as much as it is going to heal.

I can highly recommend seeing a pain mgmt. doctor asap. Mine is certified in acupuncture and stimulated acupuncture. He also tailored a drug regimen that I can tolerate and afford. TENS stimulation didn't do anything. Also, getting the emg (test for nerve working or damage) make sure they do both sides to compare and contrast the results. These tests is miserable on a damaged nerve. It is very important though to document the degree of damage especially over time. I planned a great lunch out afterwards :)

I went ortho to neuro (not a good one unfortunately) and then pain management. I did the physical therapy but hit a wall as mine is damage is at femoral nerve not in back like ortho wanted it to be. Frankly, hip guy kept trying to send me to spine guy and back and forth. In the states you can only sue the doctor up until 2 yrs after the surgery. I trusted and lost my window because I wanted to believe the hip guy and that I would be ok. I would suggest you look into an attorney. I am not a doctor and never thought I would ever consider suing anyone. I am now disabled and an opiate addict. and heaven forbid you fall into my niche, protect yourself first.

I wouldn't want to discourage anyone from getting the treatment they need. It is so good for so many and life returning. I am the zebra in a herd of horses. Always. lol. But I really do know how frustrating and painful and miserable never feeling better is. Simply, you are not alone. It is hard to adjust to, it hurts, it stops everything and if I never have to explain again that I can't to something - dinner, socializing, driving I would be so happy.

I sincerely hope and will keep you in my good thoughts for a total pain free recovery. Just start collecting the documentation (office visits, tests results, etc) from every doctor and facility - just in case.

Many hugs, Kristin
 
Just a quick not for those who are constipated from opiates - - fiber gummies are the cure. I've tried a lot of things and 7 serving of fruit is so hard in the winter. lactulose is good but never take at night it can causes unintended accidents. off the soap box now :)
 
With what? A cemented cup or an uncemented one?

Where is your incision? do you know what kind of approach you had? Posterior, anterior?
----up the outside of the thigh

It's my experience that such nerve damage comes back in its own good time. Any attempts to hasten it often fail and may even make things worse.
----I understand, but the pain is horrible sometimes...any idea med wise for nerve pain only?
Ye gods and little fishies! That's awful! When you say the cup was fractures, do you mean the plastic liner or the metal shell?
-------fracture was in the cup..liner had slipped out the first time (feb)

The 'something' was in his technique. He patently obviously did not secure the cup in place correctly nor ensure that all bleeding was attended to before he closed the wound.
------Two different doctors here..one was the surgeon who did revision, post surgery, the liner slipped
------Second surgery was the 'clean out' that left a hematoma
------Forgot to mention in first post, the last surgery that involved the plating, dr mentioned my muscles
were torn. Not sure how that happened however, how come second surgeon who did cleanout not see
that?

I go back to OS who did the final plating 4 weeks ago, he's a snot, but I do have some questions, not sure
if I should ask or just request the surgery file through my family dr like I did with the orginal surgeon.

It the nerve pain that is driving me crazy, that plus have to non weight bear which is way difficult in a house.
 
Hi! I'm Kristin I've been gone for a long time. I am so sorry you've had to go through this. I have a damaged nerve. post THR (R). I sincerely hope yours heals beautifully. My pain management Dr. said a nerve heals at the rate of 10% a month. So in my case, after a year it healed as much as it is going to heal.

I can highly recommend seeing a pain mgmt. doctor asap. Mine is certified in acupuncture and stimulated acupuncture. He also tailored a drug regimen that I can tolerate and afford. TENS stimulation didn't do anything. Also, getting the emg (test for nerve working or damage) make sure they do both sides to compare and contrast the results. These tests is miserable on a damaged nerve. It is very important though to document the degree of damage especially over time. I planned a great lunch out afterwards :)

I went ortho to neuro (not a good one unfortunately) and then pain management. I did the physical therapy but hit a wall as mine is damage is at femoral nerve not in back like ortho wanted it to be. Frankly, hip guy kept trying to send me to spine guy and back and forth. In the states you can only sue the doctor up until 2 yrs after the surgery. I trusted and lost my window because I wanted to believe the hip guy and that I would be ok. I would suggest you look into an attorney. I am not a doctor and never thought I would ever consider suing anyone. I am now disabled and an opiate addict. and heaven forbid you fall into my niche, protect yourself first.

I wouldn't want to discourage anyone from getting the treatment they need. It is so good for so many and life returning. I am the zebra in a herd of horses. Always. lol. But I really do know how frustrating and painful and miserable never feeling better is. Simply, you are not alone. It is hard to adjust to, it hurts, it stops everything and if I never have to explain again that I can't to something - dinner, socializing, driving I would be so happy.

I sincerely hope and will keep you in my good thoughts for a total pain free recovery. Just start collecting the documentation (office visits, tests results, etc) from every doctor and facility - just in case.

Many hugs, Kristin



Sounds like many long years of many long trials and tribulations...I think that is where I am headed but I hope not.
I wish you the improved health Kristin and anyone else who is suffering so badly like this.
Not easy!

Linda
 
I'm back! and yes, with many more problems. Am I cursed???
Just spent 22 plus hours in emerg and will be undergoing my 5 surgery on this lef hip next week.

I am hoping someone with medical experience will direct me to the correct surgery that the surgeon will
be doing next week.
I was just relieved to have found out a cause of this latest pain.

About 6 days ago, woke up to horrible pain in the surgery leg (that was revised March 19/14)
Long story short, the plate that was stablizing the fracture in the metal cup has itself fractured or broken in half.

According to dr., my limited weight bearing for the past two months was not enough time to allow full bone growth into the plate nor cup. So when I increased weight bearing last week to approx 50%, there was to much stress.

I'm a walking disaster!

However, he does a technique that only 3 surgeons here in Ottawa do. I was so exhusted, hungry etc.. that
I did not fully hear him explain this procedure.

Would someone possibly know? @Josephine

Two clues 1. begins with B (I think)
second, something to the effect that it involves both sides of the metal cup and cross ties into the pelvis?
Sorry, digging for a needle in a haystack!

And he said it may or may not allow for full weight bearing right after surgery.
This will be a wait and see.


I hope someone has some idea of what I may have heard!

Thank you to all yet again for your direction and advice.
Boy, I hope this will be the last surgery on this hip forever and ever, Amen!

Linda
THR, January 2012
Hip revisions, 1 and 2, Feb and March 2014 and 4th one soon to happen next week!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@canadianlps I just read through your thread and I sure sounds familiar. Both your pain and some of the surgeon's responses were very similar to what I went through in 2013/2014. The good news is my new revision to my failed revision is five weeks old tomorrow and I'm optimistic. If you get a chance to browse through my thread, you will see all we have in common, but more importantly, that there is still reason to hope for a successful repair and eventual good outcome.
 
Sorry I can't help but I tagged Jo in your post so she can give you input. Hang in there!
 
Sorry you are having such a terrible time. I don't know what test that is either...


Can anyone recommend a lawyer in Canada (Toronto) that deals with botched surgeries??
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Linda, all I can say is I sure hope the fifth time's the charm! I'm quite sure I would be alternating between screaming at people to JUST FIX IT ALREADY and climbing under some blankies and crying my eyes out. I'm so glad you came here instead and are simply trying to understand the procedure. That is proactive. Hoping to read the best of news next week when you have this new surgery.

Sharon
 
Hi Everyone! Hope everyone is doing ok?
I've been home now for nearly a month and the hip is finally feeling better.

Since my last revision surgery, I had two more washouts because of leaking fluid from the incision. Just started physio. I'm still on one crutch because the left hip is still very weak and I cannot stand on it very well. The nerve damage in the left foot is still present with no improvement. I still am short also on that leg so walking straight is very difficult.

However, I am home and I went back to work the day after I got home!

Because I had three washouts, I was on antibiotics however, they wanted me to be on them for a year....I refused. These heavy duty antibiotics were doing a number on me from stomach issues to having tremors. I actually stopped a few days ago and am just starting to fell back to normal.

I think I just was dealt a bad hand with this left hip but I now have to start thinking about more surgery in the near future. My right foot is deformed and flat plus has a bunion. My knee is totally shot and the right hip is starting to give me pain.

Wonder if they would do all three surgeries at once?!

Linda THR 4x
 
@canadianlps ....gosh i feel like my experiences have been a breeze after reading through your thread. I am in Toronto and although I know TW is part of our UHN ( united health network) It means all the doctors are connected so you were getting collectively some great OS. I was lucky to be at Mount Sinai which I think is the very best in Canada.
About the nerve damage...after my revision to remove HO I suffered femoral nerve damage that showed up in my non-operated leg.But I had bone growth in my muscle and I feel very fortunate the nerves weren't severed. For about 6 weeks the top of my thigh was numb...until I went to a massage therapist and she did a deep tissue massage on the affected leg. In about 2 sessions I started to heal nicely and over 6 months I even forgot about my hip. I was working heavy labour and walking 45 mins a day.
However 3 weeks ago I went back to the same therapist for 'maintenance' and she worked on my hip and lower back. It triggered something and I am now going for an MRI...my family doctor suspects lumbar stenosis and its scaring the **** out of me. In hind sight I know i got carried away thinking I could do anything now.
So rest up and take the time to heal.
 
I'm saying nothin
i was 2 months post op and everytime i had surgery, i got stronger so i was in.pretty good shape and only did a little each day
And three guesses
yes
maybe
no?
i really dont know
Give you three guesses!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom