Recent content by JulieJF

  1. JulieJF

    I can do this. Can I do this? What am I doing, exactly?

    @Nana2-8 and @Sommers16 LOL! Yes, every place is different. My hospital firmly believes in adding insult to injury and throwing in more than the soap. Considering how much people get constipated after surgery, though, I'm not going to say it was a bad addition. In the end, you fall into the...
  2. JulieJF

    THR The marvels of recovery

    @Granny Di Yes...it's crazy that I held on to that old joint for as long (and as stubbornly) as I did. I remember my husband seeing it and his mouth dropping open. He couldn't believe I was able to walk at all. :)
  3. JulieJF

    THR The marvels of recovery

    @Gummy Bears Honestly, it was fast: an x-ray, a chat with my surgeon's Fellow, and a brief visit and hug from my surgeon. He said I'm good for three years and reminded me to keep stretching and strengthening. I've got my permanent walker's license. :heehee: Actually, maybe it's more of a...
  4. JulieJF

    I can do this. Can I do this? What am I doing, exactly?

    Yes! I remember this. I still feel strange about having discarded a part of me that I was born with, and there was a sense of loss that I had about giving up a real piece of myself forever. I mean, it's not a metaphor...you lose a part. And I still catch myself in awe a year later thinking...
  5. JulieJF

    THR Happy Hippy From the other side

    Happy Hipiversary @Gummy Bears! Hope all's well. One year ago we went through this gate together, and I know neither of us regrets it!
  6. JulieJF

    I can do this. Can I do this? What am I doing, exactly?

    You're not alone, and the emotional rollercoaster you're on is normal. Again, I can totally relate to your last post. I'm certain that I had a meltdown (or two or three!) leading up to the surgery, and I remember the moments when logic overrode emotion. That is turning a corner. You know what...
  7. JulieJF

    THR And so, I Continue

    Reading through your recovery thread reminded me of how sleepy I was post-op. For at least three weeks, I was a napping fiend. You're right about the boredom, too. For me, boredom was compounded by the sleepiness. I wasn't alert enough to DO anything. I tried to knit but would get blurred sleepy...
  8. JulieJF

    THR The marvels of recovery

    @Jaycey, nope, there really wasn't anything left! I have to say that there wasn't much there to begin with - ball was always small, sitting atop a fairly straight femur, and clapped into a very shallow socket. But by the time I agreed to surgery the head of the femur had kind of mushroomed out...
  9. JulieJF

    I can do this. Can I do this? What am I doing, exactly?

    Hi @Sommers16 I noticed a reply of yours in Cindy's recovery thread and checked out your pre-op thread to add my voice of encouragement. I was one of last year's May Marvels. :SUNsmile: I relate entirely to your fear and desire to put off surgery. I was first told that I was a candidate for...
  10. JulieJF

    THR The marvels of recovery

    Today, I went for my one year check up. :) All's well! Dr. Sculco seemed genuinely pleased. I'm walking well, I have a range of motion that seems fairly normal (I can sit cross legged now which I've never been able to in my life!), the implant looks good, the scar looks good, and I'm regaining...
  11. JulieJF

    THR The marvels of recovery

    @Granny Di I like the way you think! :cheers:
  12. JulieJF

    THR The marvels of recovery

    One year ago, I could barely walk around the block. Walking produced grinding pain and getting around was exhausting, both because pain is exhausting and because the rest of my body was trying to pitch in to produce movement. Such a contrast to last week...last Sunday, I walked a 10K in Nappa...
  13. JulieJF

    THR The marvels of recovery

    Thanks for all of your care and concern! @Hip Hip Hooray! @Gummy Bears @Granny Di @keepmovin @CatLady1 @Cynthia777 @Jaycey This forum is so wonderful for bringing people together and helping us to support each other. I was surprised and (positively!) shocked when I stood up with an intact hip...
  14. JulieJF

    THR The marvels of recovery

    Well, it finally happened. I took a good fall, but I walked away from it in one piece. Well, probably with some bruises and stiff muscles, but one piece nonetheless. Today was a rainy day in NYC, and the combination of rain-slick subway stairs, wet rubber boots, my increasing confidence in...
  15. JulieJF

    Pre-op Pain Medication Question

    :loveshwr: Hugs to you! I'm hoping the ship is righted and you're feeling well again. I'll check your recovery thread, but even though I know you've had a tough go of it with pneumonia anxiety, I know you won't regret going forward. Today, I walked almost 7 miles to and from work, and I now...
Back
Top Bottom