Pre-op Pain Medication Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi @Cynthia777 so glad to hear your pre-op pain is under control. There are a lot of preparations to be made at home before surgery and it helps not to have the pain hindering that. I don't have a GP and my OS doesn't prescribe pre-op meds so I just suffered with the pain in the weeks leading up to surgery and it made it so difficult to run all those errands and do all the cleaning, packing, etc. that needed to be done. It made it all much more difficult than it needed to be.

There are some meds that can be continued right up until the day of surgery and others that have to be stopped about 10 days out but your surgeon will give you that information at your pre-op visit. Even vitamins were on my list of things to be stopped 10 days prior - that kind of surprised me but I followed all instructions. All that to say, it's probably a good idea to get everything prepared and in order before that 10 day period right before surgery just in case your doctor takes you off the pre-op pain meds.

And like others have said, it is good to see you and we are all going to be here rooting for you and cheering you on as you go through this.
:flwrysmile:
 
I, too, was surprised to hear that vitamins were on the "no-no" list of meds and supplements to stop, prior to surgery. Then I read up on it and it turns out that the majority of vitamins have vitamin K and E, which can be harmful during surgery. And, I was told the only pain meds I needed to stop were any and all NSAIDs. I was okay with that. But, as others have said, your OS will give you a complete list of do's and dont's.
It sounds like, though, you are way ahead of the game @Cynthia777. It's not going to be too much longer, sweetie, when you are well on your way to the recovery process.
:egypdance:
 
Thanks all!
I've been given Tramadol, oxycodone and Meloxocam. The pharmacist said to use the Meloxocam and the Tramadol, but if in two hours I don't find relief then take an oxycodone. I've found the Tramadol and the Meloxocam to be sufficient to ease most of the pain and allow me to get some good sleep. I'm trying to avoid the oxycodone until post surgery.
Now, how am I feeling about surgery looming on the horizon? :yikes:
 
@Hipster Girl
Let me tell you...I've got more recovery supplies than carter has pills! :heehee:
Thanks for the info on the supplements! I am taking 400 Mg's of magnesium, as it helps avoid the constipation issues that come along with the pain meds. I do know I need to stop the Meloxocam one week before surgery.
 
@Nana757
I'm somewhat bummed that my surgeon has no class and only a couple of pages of instructions. I'm going to pull out the book I received from the HOAG Institute where I WAS going to have my surgery, as the book is quite detailed. Thanks Buddy! :loveshwr:
 
Cindy,
If you'd like one of HSS's class books, I'm sure I've got a spare around here to send you. :loll:Don't be bummed that there's no class. By the end of mine, I'm certain that I was pasty-faced and resolute of jaw (but only because my husband wasn't letting me back out) but really wanting to crawl into a hole, cry, sleep, or escape to some country with no extradition treaty. I don't think I had really learned anything, though, and you certainly won't learn anything after hanging around this forum!

I had so much anxiety, and in retrospect, I'm sorry I was carrying around so much negative emotion.

I'm going to look for you through this gate. You'll be so happy when you're on the other side!
 
@JulieJF
You precious dear you!!! I just now saw your post and it brought tears to my eyes! You are a precious caring person and I want to thank you for that!
 
:loveshwr:

Hugs to you! I'm hoping the ship is righted and you're feeling well again. I'll check your recovery thread, but even though I know you've had a tough go of it with pneumonia anxiety, I know you won't regret going forward. Today, I walked almost 7 miles to and from work, and I now understand the "inverse hip pain" that someone mentioned here at BoneSmart. Everything ELSE hurts...not the hip! But everything else is adjusting, getting stronger, getting used to being used properly...progress! I've signed up to walk a 10K in Napa Valley in April with my company...I wish you were closer!!
 
@JulieJF

What wonderful news...7 miles...look at you!!!!

I have no regrets so far and am beyond happy with my recovery so far. I was very much out of shape pre-op, so if I could run a block in 8 months post-op, I'd be styling! :heehee:

So good to hear from you!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom