I can do this. Can I do this? What am I doing, exactly?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's weird, because at times I find myself feeling melancholy about losing a part of me - having something removed.
I remember being very sad that my body had failed me. But then I looked at the x-ray and realised that part of my body was dead. It needed to go so that I could get on with living!
I am nervous about the pre-assessment and I don't know why
I have had 3 major surgeries and every single pre-assessment was nerve wracking. Just go with it @Zelda . Tell staff you are nervous. They will totally understand.
I guess every place has different protocols. (?)
Yes, every hospital, every surgeon .... they all look at things differently. Take a list of questions and write down the answers when you are at your pre-assessment. There is so much to take in it is sometimes overwhelming.
 
@Zelda - sending you good thoughts! Since you are 6 hrs ahead of me you may be at your appointment now. Mine felt very choreographed- there were several patients there all doing the same thing- check in here, sit here, move to here- 1,2,3 and 1,2,3 to the rhythm of an office that does this every day.

@Jaycey - I told them I was nervous when I got to the blood draw part. The lady there was nice about it, saying she understood, and that everyone who takes blood should do it like they would want it done to them-gently and with care. She said sometimes they get chastised by bosses in their "production" that people aren't being pushed through quickly enough. Right or wrong, it really is a routine this medical stuff. I imagine surgery will be like that too.
 
Mine felt very choreographed- there were several patients there all doing the same thing- check in here, sit here, move to here- 1,2,3 and 1,2,3 to the rhythm of an office that does this every day.
This is exactly what the surgery will be like. Although all this is new and scary to us as patients, this team does what they know best everyday, several times per day.

When I was taken to the staging area just before my RTHR, I remember the nurse asking me "how are you feeling". I started to tear up a bit as the wait had been very long and I was just exhausted. I said "about as good as anyone about to go into surgery". I will never forget the look in her eyes. So kind and caring - and she grabbed me a gave me a big hug. Most people who work in this area really do care!
 
@Nana2-8 and @Sommers16

LOL! Yes, every place is different. My hospital firmly believes in adding insult to injury and throwing in more than the soap. Considering how much people get constipated after surgery, though, I'm not going to say it was a bad addition.

In the end, you fall into the routine they set for you, and it moves you forward to the day.
 
@Sommers16
They've moved my date! They started to tell me I would be 7am and I was thinking I'd be out and able to message you before you went in and then they said the date - Monday 23rd.

But the pre-assessment was fine - no idea why I was worried about it. It almost felt like being back to normal, being poked and prodded and having to drop my trousers for people!
 
@Zelda - you can do it just fine. In fact, didn't you say you found the preOp assessment calmed you last time? It's the old old rollercoaster.
Stick with it girl - you'll be giving me the same encouragement later in the year I hope.
You'll be all sorted out and back to normal while I'm still hobbling! :old:
 
Yup, so I could get the same anaesthetist as last time. I don't mind too much - everything went so well last time, it seems sensible to go with the same people. I'm a little bit frustrated but 6 days is nothing really.
 
@Zelda - C'mon now. You're going to stand me up for our May 17th left THR date? :heehee:
I don't know my time yet - they said yesterday at pre-admission testing that I won't know until the day before when to come. But at this point I assume May 17 is still the date. Depending on when my surgery is, this time next week I could have a hip implant. That's still somehow wild and surreal and hard to process.

@Jillie422 named her new hip Herman. I think mine will be called "Norm." Eager for it to feel healthy and normal.
 
OK - we'll I'll settle for that. Just so long as you're happy. I have to say that my Anaesthetist Dr Wizard was absolutely wonderful and he's lined up to attend to Horrible Hip #2.

I'd go so far as to say he'd be lucky enough to marry me if I wasn't already taken.
 
I went to the pre-admission testing this morning. Got the infamous soap I've read some of you discussing. Had blood drawn. Paid some money. Signed some papers. This is really getting real now. :scare:

I didn't park in the right place and walked more than I needed to as a result, and my hip/leg really hurt. In a way I'm thankful. We've talked before about how in the pre-op phase you sometimes second guess the decision to have THR. Some days are better than others. Indeed, I took some Advil with lunch, and my hip/leg feels somewhat better now. I can't take anything for pain past today since the surgery is next week. I don't want to be miserable (I'm not a masochist), but being in pain today did make me pause and think, "Yeah, THIS is why I am having this done."

It's weird, because at times I find myself feeling melancholy about losing a part of me - having something removed. At other times, I am mentally packing its bags and opening the door. Has anyone else felt those tugs?
I go tomorrow for pre-op....One week from both hips being done, feel the same as you do.
 
@oh no - Best wishes for you tomorrow. Keep us posted on your experience. It does help to share - both for the sharer and the sharee, if I am allowed to make up words. :heehee:
 
Hi @Sommers16 , I'll be sandwiched between you and @Zelda , I'm on May 19 at 11am. I'll be reading about your recovery when I begin mine and will look for Zelda when I'm on the oxycodone and colace :thud: , it's starting to feel a bit surreal now.. no more lurching and limping ahead.. yahoo!

Hi @oh no, I love your screen name, those were my very words when I first got my diagnosis :yikes:
 
@Horseshoe - nice to meet you! I will be following your journey as well. I'm hopeful for us May Marvels, even if my emotions can be all over the place. No more pain and limping does sound good. :happydance:
 
Last Friday before the THR surgery on next Tuesday. Sitting here on lunch break at work trying to process that ... won't be back for weeks and when I am, I will have a new part in my body. Wow. How can this be both so REAL and so UNREAL at the same time?

I am scared, but feel more equipped thanks to all of you! And I know it is something I have to do.

This week during a company meeting while we were all gathered around the conference table for a conference call, someone needed to relay a message to someone across the room. She jumped up, sprinted over, politely whispered her message, then returned to her seat. Some in the room may have been curious as to what the message was about. I, on the other hand, took note of the ease she had in standing and moving from a seated position so quickly.

When I have been sitting and I go to stand up, I need a pause. It's like the hip has to un-catch and lengthen before I'm good to go. The first few steps can be tough at times, but then once I get going, I'm ok. Or ok by my standards, anyway.

I am working to keep my expectations in check - both positive and negative. I know that somewhere between my craziest fears of the bad what ifs and my wildest expectations of glorious, pain free possibilities there reality will be. I realize afterwards I'm not going to run like a thoroughbred horse. But not standing up and walking like an uncoordinated newborn giraffe sounds good.

Back to work now. There's no way all of my list is going to be wrapped up in a neat bow like I would like before I leave. But I will do my best, and that's all we can do.

I've never been so terrified and excited by anything at the same time my entire life. Like I am wearing the theatre mask of the happy face and the frowning face together. It's both "boo - hiss" and "yes, let's do this" at the same time. And it happens in just 4 short days. Ack!
 
@Sommers16 , I feel the exact same way, never so terrified yet so excited. Find myself wondering what my new life will be like ie. walking upright w/o a grimace on my face :). Sometimes when waiting in line or at a traffic light I see the runners and cyclists whiz by and get a terrible case of cartilage envy, that used to be me! Also need to finish up preparing my house and get in front of the eight ball. Good luck!
 
Yikes! I just read this thread from beginning to end. My pre-op meeting is Tuesday. I guess I will be getting a bag of goodies for before care too. Not to thrilled about having to give myself an enema though. Just sayin!

My head is full of what ifs too. I have not had a great year. I had a hernia fixed last June, shoulder surgery in Feb of this year and one THR. My body has been through a lot. What if it just gives up on me? I try to push it out of my mind, but I do think about that. But, I have to have faith that I am strong enough to do this.
 
When I have been sitting and I go to stand up, I need a pause. It's like the hip has to un-catch and lengthen before I'm good to go.
When I came home from my first hip, my husband commented on how easily I could get out of chair compared to the pause, creak, shuffle I'd been doing for months. That was day 4.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom